The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Sponge Ball Magic. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Roy the Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee, USA
147 Posts

Profile of Roy the Illusionist
See this thread for Lawrence O's comprehensive list of sponge ball resources:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=115&28
Are you watching closely?
neocatalyst
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of neocatalyst
Frank Garcia's Encyclopedia of Sponge Ball Magic is very good.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5941 Posts

Profile of motown
Yes, but not readily available.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5081 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I may have missed someone mentioning it, but my first intro to sponge balls came from http://www.amazon.com/Now-You-See-It-Dont/dp/0394722027 stuck with me for 20 years. Also, I second the nomination for the Ben Salinas dvd - Encyclopedia of sponge ball magic. (You will never go wrong with a Ben Salinas Dvd)

And welcome to the Café' Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5081 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On 2014-01-17 13:01, mahucharn wrote:
A lot of people do not seem to like Noblezada's Sponge DVD
Best wishes,
Mahu

Im not sure why but I think it goes along the "who is the better James Bond debate) I grew up just after Roger Moore became Bond and he will always be my Bond. When I started in magic around 20 years ago, a brick and mortor shop would lead you toward vhs tapes by Ammar and Roth and Darryl. They were very good at teaching slights and technique. (There were many others, as well as books, but they were my first experience in learning "real magic")

when the internet age hit and vhs gave way to dvds and brick and mortor shops began to close rather than compete with internet magic shops. Everyone needed their "Teachers". Along came Penguin with Oz and Jay. Ellusonist gave us Brad and talented others. Blue Crown gave us Alex along with another slue of talent.

None of this is a bad thing, just different. We will all find our personal favorites (Gregory Wilson for me - Double Take changed my life Smile ) and some we would rather watch over others who are just as talented (I prefer Ben Salinas over Jay Noblezada. Both talented - just different)

Lots of great references here though. Good luck finding your own picks. You will know them when you see them.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1744 Posts

Profile of wally
Hi, I have just got the Pat page sponge ball dvd, who sells the best sponge balls, what make should I go for,Also a nice soft jumbo. magicwalsh@gmail.com
kasper
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of kasper
Sponge ball magic is awesome but very addicting. When you show people sponge ball magic they will ask you to perform it for them and their friends ALL the time.

When you don't show them sponge ball magic they will get very angry. Just don't get caught walking around with sponge balls and carrying them around wherever you go.

If you do the women will make fun of you. Ha!. you have been warned! Smile
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Most sponge ball routines can also be done with bar napkins rolled into a ball. Well worth learning how to do routines with alternate props.

Regarding sources of balls, there are many and personal preference is an important factor. I don't like the super soft because they end up all misshapen after sitting in my pocket ...

Hudson
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
For what's new in sponge ball magic, turn to the young magicians who are taking it to new places, such as Qua-Fiki's "Zippy Sponge Ball Routine" in the Wizards' Journal #26. He was the first to mix different color sponge balls together in his "One Fish, Two Fish" routine in The Wizards' Journal #20, and this routine does it again, but with just two color sponge balls. However, the Zippy part of his routine comes from making use of a zipper bracelet to start the color changes. He also has a new sleight, a variation on the changeover palm that he calls the "Open Palm Transformation." It's good to see that the youngsters are seeing that no area of magic is a dead-end where there is nothing new to be learned. There's always something new under the sun.
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
Also Eugene Berger has a nice routine on one of his series for L&L. The best one that helped me out the most though was Steve Dacries sponge ball Toolbox I stil watch it just because it's entertaining and there's a great routine on there by Al Goshlin and many other magical giants it's a great soarce of information.
SDMoore1
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of SDMoore1
"Daryl" (who I'm going to see lecture tonight, by the way) has a few Sponge Ball DVDs.
I haven't seen them, myself, but noticed he has them on his website.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3665 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Here are some of my favorite sources and routines:

Encyclopedia of Sponge Ball Magic
World's Greatest Magic - SPonge Balls
Mad Sponges (Magic Geek - I think they just started producing them again)
Daryl's Papa Rabbit Hits the Big Time
Sponge Carrot endless Production

Daryl has a Penguin Live lecture where he talks about his sponge ball routine. What I like about it is it engages the audience and has meaning. I think the biggest problem with sponge balls is when they are performed as sponge balls with no apparent meaning to the audience. First, I would suggest never referring to them as "sponge balls". It can kill much of the magic. Personally, I don't do sponge ball magic in a participants hands (with sponge balls), for that reason. I think it is more magical if they appear to be little rubber balls and are never perceived to be made of sponge. In fact, when I use them, I either use Daryl's sponge rabbit/bird, or I use them along with a few rubber balls that looks very similar. I switch them in and out and use the rubber balls to interact with the audience. I combine principles of sponge balls, cups and balls, billiard balls, magic, and juggling into one routine. Now, balls are appearing, disappearing, and I toss a couple rubber balls to the audience so they see they are solid.

Good luck creating something unique for yourself.

KJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Sponge Ball Magic. (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL