The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » So that's it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
Quote:
On 2014-01-15 14:03, VernonOnCoins wrote:
So in the process of using the lighter the shell slipped and fell. Now none of the coins fit

Im throwing this piece of garbage in the trash

Wait, you mean you didn't learn the FIRST time to do it over carpet??? Smile

Glad you go tit fixed! That's an expensive thing to "throw away". Smile
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
The only time I use my expensive, hard-to-get sets is over a pad.

For walkaround/strolling stuff the only coin gaffs I use are the easier to acquire standards: half shell, scotch and soda, lethal tender. The only exception being my sterling silver jumbo (Max Krause) which goes with me EVERYWHERE. The only thing I will use it for, though, is a basic spellbound change. Ain't takin' no chances.
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Send em to Todd and be done with it! When you get them back practice. over your bed. . .
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
I don't see the point in having this stuff if not to use them. I cant carry a pillow with me and falls do happen even to the best
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On 2014-01-15 17:51, VernonOnCoins wrote:
I don't see the point in having this stuff if not to use them. I cant carry a pillow with me and falls do happen even to the best

I tend to agree.
It's like buying a Ferrari and leaving it in the garage, unless your only intent is to view it as a display item.
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
I was very lucky today. My coins are back in working order after some serious damage. I will certainly be more careful during practice sessions but when working I will continue to use these expensive sets. Mostly because they inspire me.
CdnAndrew
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of CdnAndrew
Vernon,
Glad to see you got it worked out. Keep practicing!

The bed is a great option. The best is to just have the surface closer to your hands when doing that practice. The long fall is what does it. Even on a bed, things can bounce and roll off. Sitting on the floor on a rug / carpet is great for working out comfort for some of the tougher palms and grips. But eventually the safety nets won't be there and things can happen.

I hope this is your once in a lifetime moment for that scare!
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Quote:
On 2014-01-15 20:35, CdnAndrew wrote:
Vernon,
Glad to see you got it worked out. Keep practicing!

The bed is a great option. The best is to just have the surface closer to your hands when doing that practice. The long fall is what does it. Even on a bed, things can bounce and roll off. Sitting on the floor on a rug / carpet is great for working out comfort for some of the tougher palms and grips. But eventually the safety nets won't be there and things can happen.

I hope this is your once in a lifetime moment for that scare!

Andrew

Nice expansion on my idea, Andrew. Well put!

Glad your set is back in working order, Vernon. . .

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Iv'e said it before.Practice practice practice
with a clad set and perform with your good set.
Todd
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
That's why in my coin act I work with a female assistant. When I am working at a table, she sits in my lap holding a small velvet pillow. When I am standing, then she stands next to me with a catchers mitt in case she has to intercept a coin as it heads for the floor. Once she saved a $4000 Johnson shell with an amazing diving leap with the glove. She did chip a tooth, but the shell was saved. I gave her an extra $5 that evening in her pay envelope.
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Quote:
On 2014-01-16 11:44, Al Desmond wrote:
That's why in my coin act I work with a female assistant. When I am working at a table, she sits in my lap holding a small velvet pillow. When I am standing, then she stands next to me with a catchers mitt in case she has to intercept a coin as it heads for the floor. Once she saved a $4000 Johnson shell with an amazing diving leap with the glove. She did chip a tooth, but the shell was saved. I gave her an extra $5 that evening in her pay envelope.

:lol:

J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2014-01-15 17:51, VernonOnCoins wrote:

Well then learn not to drop them over a hard floor! When anyone has suggested not using the expensive gaffs except in optimal conditions, you keep replying what's the sense in buying them if you are not going to use them. Come on! If you use your best china dinnerware daily you're going to break a few pieces! Do it if you can afford it! These are very fine pieces and if you are going to drop them they are going to act like they've been dropped! That's physics.

Jim
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On 2014-01-17 00:10, J-Mac wrote:

These are very fine pieces and if you are going to drop them they are going to act like they've been dropped! That's physics.

Jim

So you're saying we should only use them while in orbit, or a low gravity environment such as the moon?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Nothing tells of gaffs like the performer fussing over his coins as if they were brittle and likely to shatter like fine porcelain. precious is one thing, but fragile is exactly what coins are supposedly not.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Don't you remember when Neil Armstrong did a coins across routine using a shell shortly after he set foot on the moon? I think most people missed that. Back then, shells were much rarer and definitely more costly.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
The first time I dropped a coin/shell combo I felt a lot like this. I used my wand to fix it as well as the silk method.

By the 7th time, I was a skilled master at repairing the little dents and dings. I haven't dropped them in a while.

I think that as you gain confidence you will drop them less.
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
It slipped out of my hand. Nothing to do with routine.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

What I mean is that you know the coins are expensive and you know dropping them could mess them up.

These thoughts are in your subconscious. It can and will affect you and cause you to fumble. Once you are more confident in your ability repair any damage that may occur that fear will go away.

I wasn't talking about the effect but your fixing the coins.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

If you are performing for a living you need to learn how to fix your tools yourself or have several back up sets. You are going to drop coins. If I am doing a show and drop a coin you should have a backup set for right now, then you fix it later. I know it's not the most realistic thing when coins are literally $1,000's of dollars.

Once you go pro though, there is really no choice.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Coin sets need to come with brass rollers for reforming the shells. This would be a brass cylinder you can roll on a hard surface.

Why can't sets be made of steel? The soft silver is a problem.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » So that's it? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL