The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Self-working predictions based on position (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Check out Howard Hamburg's MYSTICAL 13. Nice.
dancecoach
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of dancecoach
Ejohn, yeah, that one is nice, although I find it a bit too count-y.

Is Howard Hamburg his real name? I am from Hamburg, Germany, but haven't heard of him.
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
558 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
It would be really nice if there was a compilation of different methods which can be used to force different positions right from 1 through 52. That would be quite comprehensive and a full tool box in itself. Many may be interested to buy it too, including me. Or maybe I should think of taking up this project myself Smile
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
Another angle is to have a spectator name ANY position in the deck before hand. Then have a second spectator simply mentally think of ANY card. Then you nail it and to boot have it turn up in the named position! It is called the "Fifty Two card trick" page 204, 'Encyclopedia of Card tricks' by Jean Hugard and J.J Crimmins. I do not know the originator of the effect. It may be Jean Hugard himself?.
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Dancecoach, Here is a little about Howard Hamburg from ad copy: Several of our friends visited the Magic Castle in Hollywood and came back raving about the fact that they met Howard Hamburg. Howard was close friends with Dai Vernon from 1970-1992 and also good friends with Charlie Miller, Larry Jennings, Bruce Cervon, Jerry Andrus, Mike Skinner, Tony Giorgio, Johnny Thompson, Max Maven, Martin Nash and many others too numerous to mention.
alecStephenson
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of alecStephenson
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2016, Andy Moss wrote:
Another angle is to have a spectator name ANY position in the deck before hand. Then have a second spectator simply mentally think of ANY card. Then you nail it and to boot have it turn up in the named position! It is called the "Fifty Two card trick" page 204, 'Encyclopedia of Card tricks' by Jean Hugard and J.J Crimmins. I do not know the originator of the effect. It may be Jean Hugard himself?.

I'm confused; p204 of what edition?
NeverMind
View Profile
Loyal user
Right up there. On the stage.
283 Posts

Profile of NeverMind
Even I'm confused. page 204 and 52 card trick do not match Smile
It is better to be trusted than liked.
Under promise. Over perform.
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
Page 204 in the "Revised edition" of the encyclopedia. (2003. Foulsham and Co Ltd, Foreword by Michael Bailey)
NOT the older Faber and Faber version.

It is located within the chapter titled "Calculation Tricks With ordinary cards"
alecStephenson
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of alecStephenson
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2016, Andy Moss wrote:
Page 204 in the "Revised edition" of the encyclopedia. (2003. Foulsham and Co Ltd, Foreword by Michael Bailey)
NOT the older Faber and Faber version.

It is located within the chapter titled "Calculation Tricks With ordinary cards"

Ah, I'm with you now. Foulsham did an EOCT edition in 2003 and a RRTCM edition in 2004.
I think most people reference the more common Dover edition of EOCT: "The 52 Card Trick" p182
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
Having mentioned the "Fifty two card trick" (which is far superior to the "Twenty-one card trick") I guess I ought to mention the even better "Twenty-seven card trick." This is in itself a superior variation of the "Fifty-two card trick".

However my favorite is the "Forty-eight card trick" (Abbott's brilliant variation of the "twenty-one card trick")

Hope that this clarifies things for everyone. Smile
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
And!!! there is also the wonderful 'Forty-nine card trick'. This is better than the 'Twenty-seven card trick' which is superior to the 'fifty-two card trick' the latter which is considered to be a definite improvement on the classic 'Twenty-one card trick'.

The 'Forty-nine card trick' uses just two pile assemblies (simple base 7 calculation) where any thought of card ends up in any named position. This and the already mentioned 'Forty-eight card trick' (Abbott's clever version of the 'Twenty-one card trick' with just the one layout) are the best of the bunch and are both impromptu from a shuffled deck.

So there you have it. If I sound a little jaded in this thread it is because I have recently spent hours experimenting with all of the above versions to the point of approaching insanity Smile
Recoplon
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Recoplon
I like to do the 'Twenty-seven card trick', never heard of the 'forty-nine' and 'forty-eight' versions. Got info where they have been published please?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Eight to Fourteen- Harry Lorayne
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
Have pm'ed you Recoplon. Andy.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Card Clairvoyancy- Henry Christ, Kabbalah
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Self-working predictions based on position (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL