The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Babcock die box redone as a rubick cube (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

coachc
View Profile
Regular user
WV
130 Posts

Profile of coachc
Looking for an opinion......Im changing my babcock yellow die to a rubick cube color look. Would you make it mixed up or solved.......not extending the trick to solve it after it reappears. Just didn't want to deal with someone saying now solve it.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1794 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
I've been doing the Die Box (not Babcock's) with a Rubik's cube for at least 25 years. I have it mixed up and leave it at that. Never had anyone ask me to solve it. I think it looks better mixed up.
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
If you can solve it magically after making it vanish and reappear, why wouldn't you want to include that for an extra "zinger" to the ending? On the other hand, if you don't know how to solve it magically, you are better off solving it before you make it vanish, but keep in mind, your reason for putting it into the "shake-up box" makes more sense if your purpose is to solve the puzzle by "shaking" it.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1794 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2014-01-16 05:23, jimgerrish wrote:
If you can solve it magically after making it vanish and reappear, why wouldn't you want to include that for an extra "zinger" to the ending?

"Guilding the lily"?
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
You see it as "guilding the lily" because for you, it's all about the die box. Change the focus and make it all about the rubik's cube and that box thing is just for shaking up the cube to get it to solve itself...which goes awry when the cube vanishes. Follow the plans for "Billy Blockhead" in The Wizards' Journal #16 and you can show that shaking up the block actually made things worse before it vanishes, and when it reappears, you can make it visibly solve itself, if you want to "guild the lily." Or you can make it "explode" into separate cubes and keep the fun rolling along.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3456 Posts

Profile of Julie
I've often wondered what the audience thinks about a Rubik's Cube vanishing in a die box since most everyone knows a Rubik's Cube will come apart into smaller pieces. Is the "solid" yellow or red block more deceiving?

Mel sells a Rubik's Cube box where the Cube supposedly slides back and forth becoming a little more solved with each slide. Maybe this is a more effective Rubik's Cube effect than a standard die box presentation...?

What is your opinion concerning the above?

Julie
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
For a longer routine, theres the tossed cube solution.

First seen by this magician, years ago on a Doug Henning TV special.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1794 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
And maybe I can drill a hole in the cube, stick a rope through it, and use it as a Cubio! Smile
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3456 Posts

Profile of Julie
You can have a dime-size hole drilled into the solid block(s), get a length of rope and perform a Snyder's Blok-Kord release and THEN go into your favorite Die Box routine. This will work fine with either kind of solid color block--the knobby kind or the standard sh___ type-- we have both.

I don't know if this would make sense for a Rubik's Cube block or not, but it is an interesting thought.

Julie
coachc
View Profile
Regular user
WV
130 Posts

Profile of coachc
All great answers and insights on this.......very good ideas to ponder.....thank you all very much.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Babcock die box redone as a rubick cube (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL