The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Docc Hilford : The Recollector (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
Just got an email from Docc about this new piece he's putting out. It's a memory demonstration, and from the description...it looks to be one of the best I've seen.

What interests me most is that he says it can be performed one on one. Here's the ad from Docc himself...

A great demonstration of memory can be entertaining and profitable. It can be believable, dramatic and amazing. It blends easily into ANY mentalism show. It’s believable and establishes credibility for the performer. It can prompt all sorts of books sales, course enrollments and speaking engagements. But there are two major drawbacks:

1) Memory demonstrations are seldom engaging,

and

2) it takes brain work to perform!

Now, with the breakthrough effect, The Recollector, you don’t need a good memory to look like you have special powers. If can remember that “2 follows 1”, that’s all you need to remember to do several amazing pseudo memory stunts. Stunts that are so remarkable, the only explanation is a super developed mind, or that you’re inhuman.

The Recollector is a fantastic stage sized memory demonstration!

ROUTINE 1

On a paper, several people openly construct a number of 40 or more digits. A person reads the number out as you (or anyone) record it on an erasable marker board. What he says is what’s written.

Without looking, you recite the 41 digit number forward.

Later in your show, you can recall the number from the end to the beginning, backward.

After more time goes by, you ask someone to call any three numbers from the middle of the number and you recite the rest of the number from that point to the end. Then, start at the beginning and carry on until you reach the chosen numbers.

Finally, you erase the marker board and ask the spectator with the paper to call any 3 numbers. You write them on the board and reconstruct the full number from the middle out in both directions!

Amazing! Wait! It’s more than just a memory demonstration.

The Recollector is also an amazing evidence of close up mind reading!

You can perform The Recollector close up.

ROUTINE 2

Everybody at a table writes a random number on the back of a business cards. The numbers have 40 digits or more. The business cards are collected, mixed and one is freely chosen.

A participant concentrates on the first five digits of his number. Without the participant saying anything, you reveal all five numbers!

The full number is told to you and you proceed to do all of the memory demonstrations described above. Recalling the 40 digits forward, backward and from any point inside out!

Mind reading and memory.

The Recollector is also a stunning piece of stand up theater.

ROUTINE 3

In a bar, you’re challenged to do a memory feat. You borrow five dollar bills from strangers. The serial numbers are combined in a random order to make a 41 digit number. You can do everything described above; recall the full number forward, backward and from any given point.

PLUS, you mentally add all the digits together, calculate the square root of the 41 digit number and more.

A number so big it won’t fit on any calculator!

The Recollector isn’t just a memorized number that you can recall.

It’s not just a bluff.

It’s a remarkable system that is to number memorization what the Paul Fox Gimmick was to the impostorous Princess Card Trick.

And it’s exactly as easy to perform.

As with any Docc Hilford concept, you can make The Recollector as simple or as advanced as you feel comfortable.

In it’s simplest form there is ABSOLUTELY NO MEMORY REQUIRED.
At it’s more advanced levels you can do it IMPROMPTU with a single participant!
No adding or figuring.
No groups of numbers like addresses or phone numbers.
No mathematical calculations.
Nothing like Fibonacci series.
No memory work (all most).
The audience watches you write the numbers they choose.
The Recollector can be performed...

On Stage
Stand Up
Close Up
For a large group
Or one person
You can combine different parts from The Recollector effects to create your own personal and unique routine.

Super Memory - Mind Reading - Mental Calculations or all three!
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Docc, will you be offering a video demo?

Regards,
Mike
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
There's a trailer here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY4r4i1l4c0

I'm in the process of building up a memory routine, so this was a timely release - it's sometimes almost like Docc can read minds!

I started watching 'The Recollector' video file on the train this morning and the method is truly ingenious. The description above is absolutely true - there is no memory work and no calculation involved, incredible though that may sound.

So far, I've only watched just over 45 minutes of the video and I can already reel off a 40-digit number forwards and backwards. No bad eh?
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
"Absolutely no memory required"---is that just a tad bit misleading?

Regards,
Mike
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
Here are my questions...

Is the effect changed from the stage version to the one on one version?

Can I really just sit down with a single person, hand them a small post it pad and ask them to start writing down numbers till they get up till 40, then recall the numbers?

I can't help but notice in the video demo, it's a large pad, and it seems a little suspicious when Docc goes behind the board hiding his face. This might just be unintentional though.

Do you need a big board as he uses in the demo?

With a smile
Matthew
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
I agree, the demo is very suspect. The white board does appear to play a role. I think a better video could have masked that action.

I think routine 2 (that can use a paper or notepad) may involve a different methodology, such as a switch or a peek. I could be wrong.

Regards,
Mike
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
I don't think the description is misleading, but then Docc predicted there would be arguments about that on here...

Truly his powers are strong!

Also, isn't guessing at methods (as in the post above) considered bad form?
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
It's not that I'm guessing methods, I'm just trying to get a better idea of the stipulations. Being that I only perform close up, usually one on one, and almost always impromptu...I'm only interested in the effect if it can be achieved with the simple use of a small post it pad, or perhaps an index card. If it requires a large board such as in the video, I'm a little thrown off.

Cheers
Matthew
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Hi Matthew,

I wasn't referring to your post, but the one that says:
Quote:
"I think routine 2 may involve a different methodology, such as a switch or a peek. I could be wrong."

I wish I could shed more light on the question you have asked, but I've not had a chance to watch/listen/read to the whole package yet and I've not seen all the presentation ideas.

However, from what I have seen so far, I can categorically say the whiteboard is not a vital part of the routine. You certainly don't have to disappear behind any sort of board/pad to perform the effect - that is not a part of the method. A smaller pad could be used. Although I've not seen the explanation for it yet, I know there is a close-up variation that uses a small stack of business/index cards.

It is a versatile method. I think, once you have learned the system, with a little creative thought you can generate variations perfectly tailored to your own specific performing conditions.

As a post-script: I really love the fact that Docc apparently got David Lynch to direct the video section of the package. Dreamy!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I love Docc but a number with 40+ digits seems a VERY big and long number does it not?
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
The "in the bar" version of 5 different bank notes seems pretty good
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
Do you have to use 40 numbers? Can you cut it down to around 20?
robinr
View Profile
Loyal user
Greater Los Angeles area
226 Posts

Profile of robinr
I'm about halfway through the video and I'm admiring it. The number could be cut down, but there isn't really a point to doing so, as the method is not as difficult as it sounds. This is one of Docc's clever ones.

And anyone who passed up his Syndrome Deck should take another look at it.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Is the ad copy true when it says that "ABSOLUTELY NO MEMORY REQUIRED."?

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On 2014-01-16 18:50, robinr wrote:
I'm about halfway through the video and I'm admiring it. The number could be cut down, but there isn't really a point to doing so, as the method is not as difficult as it sounds. This is one of Docc's clever ones.

And anyone who passed up his Syndrome Deck should take another look at it.
robinr
View Profile
Loyal user
Greater Los Angeles area
226 Posts

Profile of robinr
Docc has always been a great salesman. And I can see why he says that, as it's not memory per se. Much more clever.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Thanks for the response. As I don't own this, I cannot comment on the integrity of the ad copy. But I trust that you, as an owner of the effect, and not as a salesman of the effect, are telling the truth when you say that absolutely no memory work is needed.

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On 2014-01-16 19:10, robinr wrote:
Docc has always been a great salesman. And I can see why he says that, as it's not memory per se. Much more clever.
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
In its 'simplest form', I agree that 'no memory is required'.
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Hi everyone. I have not seen the video, heard the audio, or read the quickstart guide yet. As some of you know Docc is down in Mexico working the resorts. A couple of months back he sent a half page of notes about this effect. Then he called and walked me through it. He was insistent on me getting up to speed with it. I have a problem with mathematical things. It isn't that I find them difficult. I'm on the other end of the spectrum and tend to complicate things. The simpler things are the more trouble I have with them. I know that sounds strange. In this case after about 15 minutes I was reciting the number backwards and forwards.

The claims in the ad are accurate. The white board has nothing to do with it except to write the number on. There is no memory involved but I'm sure someone will quibble about it. I mean you do have to remember how to do it!

A very well known top pro wrote us last night very excited about the effect. If you are at all familiar with the effect "Deep Sea Digits" that was in Syzygy then you will love this. Just a side note but "Deep Sea Digits" actually goes back to Ed Hutchison. Anyway the Recollector is Deep Sea Digits on steroids. It is a real working routine. You can use it in any venue. Certainly the presentation will be different but the method remains the same.

So what is a routine you can do anytime and anywhere for the rest of your life worth to you? This is good stuff and if the effect appeals to you pick it up and enjoy.

Hope that is useful to someone.

~ Dan
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Are you saying the method in this is the same as that employed in Deep Sea Digits?

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On 2014-01-16 22:18, bdekolta wrote:
Hi everyone. I have not seen the video, heard the audio, or read the quickstart guide yet. As some of you know Docc is down in Mexico working the resorts. A couple of months back he sent a half page of notes about this effect. Then he called and walked me through it. He was insistent on me getting up to speed with it. I have a problem with mathematical things. It isn't that I find them difficult. I'm on the other end of the spectrum and tend to complicate things. The simpler things are the more trouble I have with them. I know that sounds strange. In this case after about 15 minutes I was reciting the number backwards and forwards.

The claims in the ad are accurate. The white board has nothing to do with it except to write the number on. There is no memory involved but I'm sure someone will quibble about it. I mean you do have to remember how to do it!

A very well known top pro wrote us last night very excited about the effect. If you are at all familiar with the effect "Deep Sea Digits" that was in Syzygy then you will love this. Just a side note but "Deep Sea Digits" actually goes back to Ed Hutchison. Anyway the Recollector is Deep Sea Digits on steroids. It is a real working routine. You can use it in any venue. Certainly the presentation will be different but the method remains the same.

So what is a routine you can do anytime and anywhere for the rest of your life worth to you? This is good stuff and if the effect appeals to you pick it up and enjoy.

Hope that is useful to someone.

~ Dan
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Quote:
On 2014-01-17 00:50, insight wrote:
Are you saying the method in this is the same as that employed in Deep Sea Digits?

Regards,
Mike

The method is not the same as 'Deep Sea Digits'.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Docc Hilford : The Recollector (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL