The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » One cool thing about bridge... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Just got back from Vegas. While I was there, I saw a longtime friend of mine I hadn't seen in a while, and we took in a game at the local bridge club. One of the players there was Bobby Wolff, a longtime pro and former world and national champion (multiple times each). One of the great things about bridge is that you can compete with the best players around - the competitions are generally open. And on a good day, you can do well against them. In a more familiar perspective, this was like the equivalent of signing up for a local tennis tournament and getting to play against Jimmy Connors (the 2014 version) one round. I hasn't played against Wolff in a long time. His team killed mine in a regional tournament about 15 years ago. This time, he got the best of us, but it was closer. In three hands, we had an above-average result, a below-average result, and a really bad result (three hands against each opposing pair you come across).
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I've always thought the same thing about playing the banjo. (Strange comparison, I know.) Fellow-banjo players are accessible, even when they are famous, because their fame is rather relative. Unless you become a legend, like the late Earl Scruggs, you just aren't in the same category as, say, Madonna. I jammed with Bill Keith once, for example. And I've written fairly famous banjo players emails to ask them questions, and they wrote back instantly, as if they just sit around all day waiting on emails from unhinged people.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
See any magic while in Vegas?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Another open thing where it's just amazing how many famous people you get to meet is an open prison. It's like being sent to an Hollywood studio, where the stars sit around playing Bridge and Chess.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Great thread. All four of you--you're why I come here!
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-01-17 08:02, landmark wrote:
See any magic while in Vegas?

Nope...we had time for one show, and we opted for Rock of Ages, which we enjoyed thoroughly.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-01-17 09:16, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Great thread. All four of you--you're why I come here!

Thanks, Magnus! You're on my short list, too.

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Does Wolfie live in Las Vegas, or was this a serendipitous convergence of . . . well . . . wolves?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I've had the pleasure of playing against a couple of Canadian champions, but never against an American champion.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
He lives there. There's a pretty good local club-level scene there. My partner and I were in the lowest strat, and we have about 3,500 masterpoints between us.

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-01-17 20:18, S2000magician wrote:
I've had the pleasure of playing against a couple of Canadian champions, but never against an American champion.

Which Canadians did you play against?

mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Good thing Chris Christie didn't show up. He would have shut it down. Smile
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-01-17 20:56, mastermindreader wrote:
Good thing Chris Christie didn't show up. He would have shut it down. Smile

[rimshot]!

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2014-01-17 20:52, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-01-17 20:18, S2000magician wrote:

Which Canadians did you play against?

I'd have to hunt through some boxes to get the names of opponents, but I've partnered a couple of times with Hazel Wolpert (NPC, 2013 Canadian World Championship (Open) team).
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Is Bridge a tough game to learn? What is the appeal? I play poker, cribbage, Euchre.
People seem to really enjoy bridge. Am I missing out on something good?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2014-01-18 13:05, magicfish wrote:
Is Bridge a tough game to learn? What is the appeal? I play poker, cribbage, Euchre.
People seem to really enjoy bridge. Am I missing out on something good?

Years ago I was in a B Dalton book store, looking through the books on games. One categorized the difficulty of games with a 1 - 5 star scale. When I looked up contract bridge, they had given it five stars, and wrote that you should expect to have to play regularly for at least six months just to get to the point where you could avoid embarrassing yourself at the table.

It's a tough game to learn.

The appeal is that there is more strategy than virtually any other card game, and there is as much scope for bluffing, deviousness, and treachery as poker (though it is a lot more subtle); furthermore, you occasionally have a third opponent at the table (your partner).

I've never played Euchre, but I've played poker, blackjack, and cribbage quite a bit; bridge is far and away more interesting, fun, fascinating, infuriating, and humbling.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Wow, thanks S2000, that's what I suspected.
Maybe I'll look into it a little further.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
With respect to non-card games as well, bridge has the elements that make chess appealing, but many more that chess doesn't have. I know a number of people who are good at both chess and bridge; without exception, all prefer bridge.

If you're interested in looking into it, I strongly recommend Harry Lampert's book "The Fun Way to Serious Bridge." I have a fairly extensive bridge library, used to own a bridge club, and directed tournaments up to the national level for the American Contract Bridge League. Lampert's book is the shortest, most enjoyable route to nailing down the basics (and going beyond them into the intermediate realm) I know of.

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2014-01-18 13:37, LobowolfXXX wrote:
If you're interested in looking into it, I strongly recommend Harry Lampert's book "The Fun Way to Serious Bridge." I have a fairly extensive bridge library, used to own a bridge club, and directed tournaments up to the national level for the American Contract Bridge League. Lampert's book is the shortest, most enjoyable route to nailing down the basics (and going beyond them into the intermediate realm) I know of.

I'm unfamiliar with Lampert's book. How would you say it compares with Reese's Bridge for Bright Beginners?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2014-01-18 13:37, LobowolfXXX wrote:
With respect to non-card games as well, bridge has the elements that make chess appealing, but many more that chess doesn't have. I know a number of people who are good at both chess and bridge; without exception, all prefer bridge.

I learned to play bridge with my family. My bridge is like coffee-house chess--good enough to play but not nearly good enough to be good. How hard is it to unlearn family bridge?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » One cool thing about bridge... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL