The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Business Book: "Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook": Facebook Chapter PICS (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Since there has been a number of posts related to facebook I wanted to post a review of this book that has a full chapter on facebook. Here is my overview and comments.

When Seth Godin recommended Gary Vaynerchuk’s book “Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook” it immediately went on my list to read.

Pic of Gary Vaynerchuk

The book is about how to get the most out of social media. It covers basic concepts to keep in mind on any social network and has 5 chapters where each chapter is focused on a social network: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and Tumblr.

For this post I am only focusing on what I learned from the chapter on Facebook. I wanted to dedicate one whole post on Facebook because I believe it is that important.

Facebook Chapter Overview

EdgeRank: this is the algorithm Facebook uses to measure every post that you or anyone makes. Every post has an ‘edge’ that is rated. The make up of the algorithm is not publicly known and supposedly Facebook is continually tweaking the algorithm, but we do know it measures engagement. Likes, comments, and shares are what you want from the posts you make. If you consistently get this engagement, Facebook makes sure more people see your posts in their feed. Going with Vaynerchuk’s boxing analogy, the right hook, when someone buys something from you, is not measured by EdgeRank. But the jabs, various conversational posts and engagements, are measured.

So what this means is that ads in the traditional sense that are written to motivate you to make a purchase are not as valuable on Facebook. But an example from the book of a boot company posting “So long, 30 Rock! Thanks for seven hilarious years!” is a valuable post because more people are likely to engage with it.

He explains how you get more reach on Facebook than any other current medium, and how marketing on Facebook is so much more cost effective than older choices like ads on televison.

Vaynerchuk addresses how the ads on the right side of the page on Facebook are becoming obsolete because of mobile and that instead we must learn to make posts that engage within the newsfeed.

Sponsored stories: you can pay to have a post ‘sponsored’ and Facebook is extremely helpful in making these effective. Facebook determines how much attention your post is likely to get and boosts it accordingly, and if it’s a post that is not likely to do well, Facebook backs off of it so you don’t waste money on a bad post.

This chapter concludes with a critique of almost 30 Facebook posts from major corporations such as Twix, Mercedes, Victoria’s Secret, and Subaru. There is a lot of great info in this section. Here is some of what I learned:

• Post a picture instead of a link because a link results in a small thumbnail image (photo example below)
  • Use text laid out in the photo to get your message across
  • Always post your logo in a photo
  • Don’t bog a post down with too much text
  • Make sure your links work and send users to a page that is connected in some way to the post
  • Keep the wording down to earth and conversational
  • Clear out the spam from your posts, this shows users you are involved with the engagement
  • Excellent photography goes a long way

Vaynerchuk sums up the Facebook chapter with “Questions to Ask When Creating Facebook Micro-Content.” The questions are:

• Is the text too long? Is it provocative, entertaining, or surprising?
  • Is the photo striking and high-quality?
  • Is the logo visible?
  • Have we chosen the right format for the post?
  • Is the call to action in the right place?
  • Are we asking too much of the person consuming the content?

Comments

Overall this book is really helpful and am learning many things I did not know. If you are at all interested in more details of the summary I wrote, I highly recommend reading the book.

One way I wish the chapter was different is I wish the critique section were not so focused on major corporations. I wish there were more examples from small businesses or entrepreneurs. My favorite one was Cone Palace and I feel I learned the most from that one.

One unanswered question is when posting a link, sometimes it shows up as a thumbnail:

Whereas other times it shows up as a larger photo:

I don’t know why this is but all I can figure is it has to do with the orientation and dimensions of the photo, or it could be Facebook’s algorithm judging the post and giving a more prominent photo to a link that is more promising(?). That is just speculation.

I disagree with his advice on posting a logo in every photo. For a major corporation this might be good advice, but from a direct response marketing standpoint, this is not an ideal strategy.

Finally I will share I was discouraged when I visited Gary Vaynerchuk’s Facebook page to discover he has a lot of the links with just a thumbnail image. This made me question just how important is the advice he is giving? Or is this just something you should do on more important posts?

Still I highly recommend “Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook” and believe it is a necessary read to stay current.
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Tim,

Yes, the above information is a great find. The section on posting relevent content to help build engagement is worth it's weight in gold! Images also help gravitate a reader's interest as they're scrolling through their news feed. We usually look first than read. This is why certain videos have a screen image set at a certain point within the video that author KNOWS will grab your attention and you'll want to read more.

Edgeranking is a WHOLE other business go it's own. Most get lost trying to understand it. Google and Facebook have been going to head to head in the SEO market. In fact, recently , and astonishingly, Google has taken a page out of Facebook's playbook and has begun to implement more relevant content based on interested and location rather than solely depending on keywords alone. In fact, this service is called Google Carousel. Here is a video I found on Youtube helping explain it more in detail:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPaPPim5xb0

In regards to the ads, I wouldn't necessarily say Facebook ad's are "dead" but aren't as popular as they once were. BOOSTING POSTS however, can have tremendous results in post clicks IF your regular engagement numbers are high. This is one reason why the content you post within your fan page are TARGETED to catch that specific page's viewers. It also is not as expensive as you might think. My last client only paid $10 for each post and saw a reach of an additional 5000 impressions. These were posts that appeared on news feeds of those that had similar interests with. For instance, if you run a real estate business, posting pictures, or videos kittens or your son's baseball game will not generate much engagement. You might get 2-3 "likes" out of empathy but not from those that are looking to do business with you.

However, if you post a picture of a home that has fallen into a sink hole with a caption reading "ARE YOU SAFE? CLICK HERE TO SEE WHAT AREAS HAVE RECENTLY BEEN FOUND IN DANGERZONES!" Chances are, THAT post will get clicked on a ton of times as well as shared. Why? Because as humans, we need to know the things that could affect our lives. Of course, if you're a home owner and you see an article like this you are more likely to click on it so you can see if you're home is safe. In the example I mentioned, the Realtor would be even smarter if the link took the reader to a landing page with a video and a free report that could be obtained via email opt-in.

Once the email is given, an automated email gets sent to the subscriber containing a link to either a PDF, unlisted Youtube video or even a blog that shows the areas affected. More importantly, a list is being generated. In this case, if the Realtor were to see a large amount of traffic being generated with a high opt-in rate, he/she might consider establishing either a JV partnership with an insurance agency offering sinkhole protection (hypothetically speaking of course) and agree to an affiliate fee or even sell his list (state laws would have to allow this). He could then run a series of either ads or links on that opt-in page or even inside the auto-resonder email that was sent

It is also common for those that find that content helpful to "like", comment and even share it to their news feed. Thus, the cycle repeats itself. The more people that engage with your content, the higher Edgeranking you generate and as a result, the more news feeds you show up on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOW…how as magicians can we use this knowledge to our advantage? Several ways:

• Drip content that is current and relevant to those in your circles.
• Encourage your fans to "like", comment and share.
• Stay pro-active in your posts. If someone comments, comment back. Stay professional. Nobody likes a smart-*ss
• Reward fans with weekly contest or special promos.

***FREE TIP***

When performing, have someone with a phone snap a picture, post it on their wall and be sure to tag both you AND the business. Be sure to "like" that picture, engage with a nice comment (Example: "Diane wasn't that a fun night?! What was your favorite trick I performed?") and more importantly SHARE on your news feed. The caption could say, "Check out this picture a client took of me doing a trick for _____________ (tag the other person in the picture) at _____________________ (tag business) tonight. What do you guys think happened next?" This will help build engagement on both ends! Smile
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
Hoping no one else would read this book. The chapter on Facebook was so eye opening. I was able to make simple changes and saw my engagement more that triple!

Josh
Josh
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Quote:
On 2014-01-18 18:22, eatonmagic wrote:
Tim,

Yes, the above information is a great find. The section on posting relevent content to help build engagement is worth it's weight in gold! Images also help gravitate a reader's interest as they're scrolling through their news feed. We usually look first than read. This is why certain videos have a screen image set at a certain point within the video that author KNOWS will grab your attention and you'll want to read more.

Edgeranking is a WHOLE other business go it's own. Most get lost trying to understand it. Google and Facebook have been going to head to head in the SEO market. In fact, recently , and astonishingly, Google has taken a page out of Facebook's playbook and has begun to implement more relevant content based on interested and location rather than solely depending on keywords alone. In fact, this service is called Google Carousel. Here is a video I found on Youtube helping explain it more in detail:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPaPPim5xb0

In regards to the ads, I wouldn't necessarily say Facebook ad's are "dead" but aren't as popular as they once were. BOOSTING POSTS however, can have tremendous results in post clicks IF your regular engagement numbers are high. This is one reason why the content you post within your fan page are TARGETED to catch that specific page's viewers. It also is not as expensive as you might think. My last client only paid $10 for each post and saw a reach of an additional 5000 impressions. These were posts that appeared on news feeds of those that had similar interests with. For instance, if you run a real estate business, posting pictures, or videos kittens or your son's baseball game will not generate much engagement. You might get 2-3 "likes" out of empathy but not from those that are looking to do business with you.

However, if you post a picture of a home that has fallen into a sink hole with a caption reading "ARE YOU SAFE? CLICK HERE TO SEE WHAT AREAS HAVE RECENTLY BEEN FOUND IN DANGERZONES!" Chances are, THAT post will get clicked on a ton of times as well as shared. Why? Because as humans, we need to know the things that could affect our lives. Of course, if you're a home owner and you see an article like this you are more likely to click on it so you can see if you're home is safe. In the example I mentioned, the Realtor would be even smarter if the link took the reader to a landing page with a video and a free report that could be obtained via email opt-in.

Once the email is given, an automated email gets sent to the subscriber containing a link to either a PDF, unlisted Youtube video or even a blog that shows the areas affected. More importantly, a list is being generated. In this case, if the Realtor were to see a large amount of traffic being generated with a high opt-in rate, he/she might consider establishing either a JV partnership with an insurance agency offering sinkhole protection (hypothetically speaking of course) and agree to an affiliate fee or even sell his list (state laws would have to allow this). He could then run a series of either ads or links on that opt-in page or even inside the auto-resonder email that was sent

It is also common for those that find that content helpful to "like", comment and even share it to their news feed. Thus, the cycle repeats itself. The more people that engage with your content, the higher Edgeranking you generate and as a result, the more news feeds you show up on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOW…how as magicians can we use this knowledge to our advantage? Several ways:

• Drip content that is current and relevant to those in your circles.
• Encourage your fans to "like", comment and share.
• Stay pro-active in your posts. If someone comments, comment back. Stay professional. Nobody likes a smart-*ss
• Reward fans with weekly contest or special promos.

***FREE TIP***

When performing, have someone with a phone snap a picture, post it on their wall and be sure to tag both you AND the business. Be sure to "like" that picture, engage with a nice comment (Example: "Diane wasn't that a fun night?! What was your favorite trick I performed?") and more importantly SHARE on your news feed. The caption could say, "Check out this picture a client took of me doing a trick for _____________ (tag the other person in the picture) at _____________________ (tag business) tonight. What do you guys think happened next?" This will help build engagement on both ends! Smile

Michael, thanks for sharing your knowledge on this, you added a very helpful post. Especially the tip at the end, I was surprised you gave that one away.
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Maybe I'll get lucky and only get QUALIFIED individuals coming in here looking for advice they'll ACTUALLY USE and not just fishing for freebies Smile

My aim is that if someone uses that one idea and sees results, there are still 5 more KILLER ideas to follow Smile
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
HERE is a KILLER Interview that Joe Polish did with Gary...
- http://ilovemarketing.com/episode-136the......rchuk-2/
(Some Corse Language... and Sooooo Worth It!) GREAT Interview!
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
magicjoe
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of magicjoe
Eaton magic and Tim

Thank you so much for the info. I have been trying to up my Facebook presence. Any luck with Twitter?
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
An article on Gary's fun use of social media:

http://www.success.com/article/gary-vayn......seburger

This article might be a nice introduction to him, if you haven't read the book. I knew of him because of previous interviews in Success Magazine (in the magazine itself, and on the accompanying CD).

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
TheDean: thanks for sharing, I'm a fan of that podcast too.

Quote:
On 2014-01-22 18:18, magicjoe wrote:
Eaton magic and Tim

Thank you so much for the info. I have been trying to up my Facebook presence. Any luck with Twitter?

Glad you got something from it magicjoe. I finished the chapter on twitter this week and began implementing what was taught and am experiencing a much greater response on twitter. I might start a thread summarizing the twitter chapter.

Donald Dunphy, thanks for sharing the link, that's a good story.
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Love Me Some Joe Polish Too Buddy!

Gary has been on a massive promotional tour for his book launch and so there is a full metric TON of stuff from Gary out there right now. I'd say get t while the gettin' good! - Whoo Hoo!

Honored to help...

I am at Your service and In HIS service,
~ Deano in Reno
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Business Book: "Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook": Facebook Chapter PICS (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL