The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Dollar Stores / Thrift Shop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Just sharing:

I have a humongous Thrift Shop near my house the size of a Costco. It's a non profit for a Lupus organization.
I go in there often just to browse. 80% of the time I don't buy anything but when I do it's a bargain.

Sometimes I go in looking for something specific like a coin purse, a certain wallet, cups, silks, etc.
The problem is when I look for a certain item, I overlook other goodies. It's sort of like tunnel vision. There's so much clutter there

When I have time I will just browse and take my time, I get all kinds of ideas. Sometimes, props, gimmicks, cards, (3 decks for $.69)
The prices are great.

Yesterday I found a an aluminum case with dividers. It looked brand new. Not a scratch outside or inside. $2.99. Now I have another closeup case.

Next door is a Dollar store for picking up inexpensive things like envelopes, markers, glasses, silk flowers, storage containers, etc.

Getting useful things for my magic at bargain prices puts me in a great mood.

I highly recommend visiting one of these larger thrift shops.
Ihor
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yes! Not only do YOU get a bargain, but you are helping out a charity!

I have "found" RICE silks, a MAK phantom tube, $1.00, a Morrissey double load dove pan,$1.00, an Abbott Tubes of Buddha, $1.00, etc.(all in good condition) I have found catalog cases, salesman sample cases, video camera cases etc. In San Jose CA, I picked up a beautiful tartan, all wool blazer (they were in style then) LIKE NEW the side pockets were still sewn shut $6.50.At a library used book sale, I picked up a Tarbell Vol.1, like new, with dust jacket $2.00
Jay Marshall and I had a "route" of thrift stores. Whenever we had a "slow" afteroon, we would go "hunting"! We always did well!

Karrell Fox paid $75 for a stenotypist's tripod. I picked up it's "twin brother" in a thrift in Fresno,CA for $1.00.(including carrying case) They made excellent table bases.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
There's a whole section of The Magic Nook dedicated to magic props you can make from things you can usually find in a Dollar Store, Craft store or Thrift store. Each e-Book suggests what kinds of things you should go out and look for before starting a project which can be helpful if you have difficulty seeing magic props in things like toothbrush holders, place holders, laundry bags and the like.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Love these shops! The week before Christmas I was at a "barter" store and picked up a color changing pocket knife for $2. The owner didn't know what it was, thought someone had tried to "repair" a handle and didn't have a match. When I made the knife "change colors", he asked me for my business card. That was fun!

You do have to take your time and look around. Ideas are everywhere!

Dollar Tree is my favorite. Big envelopes, markers, all kinds of office supplies. Money cards (pack of six) makes Bank Night look extra special.

One fairly well known performer offers floor pads for his assistants (children) to stand on. They're very attractive, but $25 for a pack of six, OUCH! Found baseball "bases" at Dollar Tree, AND four inch high cut-out letters (made for bulletin boards) to use as stencils. A four dollar can of spray paint and I have very professional looking pads that are unique to me.

So much fun!
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On 2014-01-17 19:40, jimgerrish wrote:
There's a whole section of The Magic Nook dedicated to magic props you can make from things you can usually find in a Dollar Store, Craft store or Thrift store. Each e-Book suggests what kinds of things you should go out and look for before starting a project which can be helpful if you have difficulty seeing magic props in things like toothbrush holders, place holders, laundry bags and the like.

That's an interesting site.
I bookmarked it for future reference.
Thanks,
Ihor
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Quote:
On 2014-01-17 18:22, Dick Oslund wrote:
Yes! Not only do YOU get a bargain, but you are helping out a charity!

I have "found" RICE silks, a MAK phantom tube, $1.00, a Morrissey double load dove pan,$1.00, an Abbott Tubes of Buddha, $1.00, etc.(all in good condition) I have found catalog cases, salesman sample cases, video camera cases etc. In San Jose CA, I picked up a beautiful tartan, all wool blazer (they were in style then) LIKE NEW the side pockets were still sewn shut $6.50.At a library used book sale, I picked up a Tarbell Vol.1, like new, with dust jacket $2.00
Jay Marshall and I had a "route" of thrift stores. Whenever we had a "slow" afteroon, we would go "hunting"! We always did well!

Karrell Fox paid $75 for a stenotypist's tripod. I picked up it's "twin brother" in a thrift in Fresno,CA for $1.00.(including carrying case) They made excellent table bases.

I love thrift stores and I'm really envious Dick. I find really good bargains and deals and unique props I can incorporate into my act. I have never found dove pans or professional magic products in these stores. You have an excellent store Dick. All the best to you 'mon ami'.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Quote:
On 2014-01-17 19:40, jimgerrish wrote:

I just checked out 'Magic Nook' as well. I have bookmarked this link. Excellent site. Thanks for sharing.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Ray!

The JOY is in the HUNTING--eh? The three props I mentioned, were found last spring in a ST. VINCENT de PAUL store. The Salvation Army the DESERET stores (MORMON) all are worthy charities. A number of organizations, Handicapped kids, LUPUS (mentioned in the OP) et al. do good work. I NO LONGER GO TO GOODWILL STORES. I've been told that it's a private corporation, which gets its 'stock' donated, pays its employees minimum wage, smf charges higher prices than then the other thrifts. If anyone can show that this is false information, I'll be happy to retract this statement.

Actually, My act is "set" (for many years!) BUT, I find good homes for these props with young neophytes.

I bought my last prop case from Ikelheimer & Ernst about 1970. It's seen both coasts and both borders, plus a gezillion school kids! When on the road, I carried another case (from a thrift) with a duplicate set of props.

I've found (like new) salesmens' catalog cases, I even found an ANVIL case (for TWO DOLLARS! Beauticians who make'house calls' use a neat, sturdy carrying case (usually made of light wood) that are ideal for use as a MURPHY BOX. etc.

I suspect that the magic props that I found were donated by a wife or mother of a "former" magician.
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
I frequent the same stores you do Dick. I have found many interesting items to insert into routines. I have not had your good fortune of finding anything donated by a wife or mother of a 'former' magician. The closest I ever came was to rescue Volume 1 of Tarbell off the shelf before it fell into the hands of the curious. You are absolutely right though. The joy is in the hunting.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
This solidifies one of my ideas I live by... "magic is everywhere, you just have to know what you are looking for" Smile I am constanty buying 1 or 2 odd or very curious to my wife when we shop, but through the years, she gave up on asking and just puts it on the belt to be rung up. I guess she has figured that if I am making something mysef, I am not spending hundreds online for magic today Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Right Poof and Ray! You guys have been around for awhile!

It's the oft told tale: If I had ever lost all my props 9on the road) I could have gone into a couple of thrift stores, and perhaps a WalMart, and bought enough "stuff" to present am emtertaining program.

My late old friend, ROY KISSELL, had a lecture on that ssituation.

THE JOY IS IN THE HUNTING!!!!!!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Way too many of these young "Johnny Come Latelys" tear their underwear getting out their wallets every time the LR or MUM arrives in the mail. They can't wait to PayPal their $$$ for the latest $50 card trick!

A young fellow walked into MAGIC INC. one day. Jay happened to be behind the counter. The young guy asked< "What's new" Jay showed him a card trick. the fellow said, "How much?" Jay replied, 'You already have it!" The kid denied it. Jay said, 'It's in that book you bought last month!"
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
I am beginning to documents some effects based on what my Grandma did "way back when." She never said she was doing a magic trick and always had an object lesson attached. I often dream of simple effects with buttons and baskets and yarn and such. Later when I got a "real magic set" I found that I always return to using "found objects." Thus, when I spy something special in a Thrift Store I am taken back to a simpler time. One day I will release a boom, "Grandma's Magic" that will not have a single effect using anything bought in a magic store. Some stories too. You see, she was not a magician. She just did magical things.

Most young people today seem to lack such experiences and can only rely on what they "believe," -- Internet search, "buy" instead of make," and "finding the short-cut."

Maybe I should sell this book - free to anyone over 60, $10 if over 40 and $25 for younger folks - and $50 if you need the e-Version and videos.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
FUNSWAY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WHAT A MARVELOUS IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since I am now an OCTOGENARIAN (plus two!)I should ask: Where does the line form for those who have survived past the Biblical "three score)????????????

Yr's, 'til the square circle is empty!!

Dick Oslund
Sneaky, underhanded, devious and surreptitious itinerant mountebanc
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Remember Dick, old age and treachery will out perform youth and vigor any day.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Michael's is also a great craft store to find all kinds of magic props.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Dollar Stores / Thrift Shop (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL