The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Scientists agree on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (190 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..17..31..45..59..71~72~73~74~75..96..116..136..156..175~176~177 [Next]
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2995 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Slim - sorry you lost your job. That must be tough. But the logging industry continues today, except now it is truly sustainable, and WeyCo isn't going to touch any more old growth. And there's no reason it should, if it is practicing sustainable forestry. If I can be so bold, WeyCo never cared about jobs - if it did, it would have kept milling in the USA. Like most corporations, it only cared about returning a profit for its investors. If that could be done through automation and exporting the milling process - well, that's what happened.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20259 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I guess the trick is to define "plenty of trees" and agree upon a term.

Read the accounts of fishing in what is now Massachusetts. There were "plenty of fish". Heck at one point didn't we have "plenty of buffalo"?

I am not a global climate change guy but lets least talk reasonably. Some of our history we can look back on. May as well try to learn something.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15940 Posts

Profile of tommy
It's intriguing that people like Charles Galton Darwin, Bertrand Russell and all the rest of the big players, lectured about bringing the population down to a sustainable level. or manageable level, an efficient level in a post-industrial society; they wouldn't need all that many people would they? It is also interesting that Alexander King was intrigued by the way a small group of people had created the first industrial revolution in the 18th century. They met together informally each month in the north of England to discuss their industrial projects. He envisaged that a small informal group of people from a variety of backgrounds (never more than 100 in total) would discuss reconciling economic growth and environmental protection. So founded a club and it was called the Club of Rome, who said they came up with idea of global as enemy to unite us. When you consider what the threat does is reverse the industrial revolution taking the world back to circa 1800, when it was agricultural rather than an industrial society. Therein we have the Green movement. It is also intriguing that the plutocrat Rockefeller is a founding member of the Club of Rome. So when when they do take us back to 1800, and they will, then what is going be like? Like 1800 of course. Soon the European political landscape will be dominated by wars, a series of conflicts and changing sets of European allies by opposing coalitions and with mass conscription, that should help bring the population to a sustainable level. or manageable level, an efficient level in a post-industrial society anyway. I am sure yet, if I want to play the part of Napoleon or Wellington or go and live in the mountains in the highlands, in cooler climbs, until it its all over.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:

I guess the trick is to define "plenty of trees" and agree upon a term.

There were "plenty of trees" if they had kept to their cutting schedules. Unfortunately they got greedy and started cutting everything in site.

from http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.c......=1109757

Quote:
When Napoleon started logging on the Olympic Peninsula more than 40 years ago, no one worked weekends. Then, crews started working Saturdays and Sundays. Then the companies put lights on the equipment so they could work all night.

``You get in the high country up there and you could just see the logs disappearing, the trees disappearing,'' he recalls.

At lunchtime, the loggers would sit on a landing and look out on the hillsides, remarking nervously about how much of the land was being logged, and wondering where the next harvest would come from.

The Asian markets opened up. We would send them raw logs and they would mill it and sell what they didn't use us the processed lumber far cheaper than we could mill it ourselves. So it was management, not the EPA that was responsible for the loss of many lumber based jobs.

There were a lot of reasons as to why the timber industry collapsed in the Pacific Northwest. Blame can be found on both sides of the issue. But to blame it all on the EPA is overly simplistic and somewhat childish.

BTW I am a Washington native who has lived here for 56 years. Plus my Mother is from Longview so I have more than a passing knowledge of that town as well as my Grandparents lived there and would visit their frequently.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2995 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2014, tommy wrote:
When you consider what the threat does is reverse the industrial revolution taking the world back to circa 1800, when it was agricultural rather than an industrial society. Therein we have the Green movement.

You do realize that the "green movement" includes things like the tech sector, right? Which is hardly taking us back to 1800. If we do reduce CO2 emissions, it's going to be because of advances in science and energy use, not because we return to farming with oxen and yokes.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20259 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Absolutely Payne, that is sort of my point thank you.

Thing with "old growth" is it takes a LONG time.

At some point as a society we have to decide if a mantelpiece is that important.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15940 Posts

Profile of tommy
Wind mills, right?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2014, tommy wrote:
Wind mills, right?

People pushing a stone around to generate hot air?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15940 Posts

Profile of tommy
England is about an 80% service economy now. How is your serf economy doing?

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:

Florida Democratic gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist on Friday delivered the perfect response to Republicans who claim they lack the scientific background to express an opinion as to whether man-made climate change is real.

“I’m not a scientist either, but I can use my brain, and I can talk to one,” Crist said Friday at a Florida State University presentation on greenhouse gases and rising sea levels, according to SaintPetersBlog.

The claim is a common refrain in the Republican Party. Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) explained in 2012 that, while he "wasn't a scientist, man," he believed the age of Earth was "one of the great mysteries." House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) similarly said earlier this year that he was "not qualified to debate the science over climate change." And Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R) also used the line when asked whether he was worried that rising sea levels posed a threat to his coastal home.

President Barack Obama made hay out of the line in June, slamming politicians who use it for failing to curb the harmful effects of carbon emissions.

“Let me translate," he said in drought-stricken California. "What that means is, ‘I accept that man-made climate change is real, but if I admit it, I’ll be run out of town by a radical fringe that thinks climate science is a liberal plot.'"

"I'm not a scientist either, but we've got some good ones at NASA," he added.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/26......452.html
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Those who claim that temperatures haven't been rising might want to review the facts:

Quote:
Worldwide, 2001-2010 was the warmest decade on record since thermometer-based observations began. Global average surface temperature has risen at an average rate of 0.14°F per decade since 1901 (see Figure 2), similar to the rate of warming within the contiguous 48 states. Since the late 1970s, however, the United States has warmed faster than the global rate.

http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/science......ure.html

---------------------------------------------------

Quote:
The last decade has seen global temperatures rise to the highest levels ever recorded. This graph illustrates the change in global surface temperature relative to 1951-2010 ... Credit/Data source: NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies.

climate.nasa.gov/warmingworld/globalTemp.cfm

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs_v3/
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Those who claim that the temperature hasn't gone flat for the last 17 years might want to review the facts:

"NOAA’s own trend calculator helps confirm ‘the pause’ and lack of ocean warming in the 21st century"

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/07/26/no......century/

"Have a look at NOAA’s Time Series calculator

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cag/time-series/global

It is now displaying a cooling trend commencing in 2001 – 2013."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20259 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is NOT cooling at my house today!!!!! It was 100!!! (I know climate is not weather, but 100 is darn hot!)
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 26, 2014, rockwall wrote:
Those who claim that the temperature hasn't gone flat for the last 17 years might want to review the facts:

"NOAA’s own trend calculator helps confirm ‘the pause’ and lack of ocean warming in the 21st century"

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/07/26/no......century/

"Have a look at NOAA’s Time Series calculator

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cag/time-series/global

It is now displaying a cooling trend commencing in 2001 – 2013."

I'll bet you didn't even bother to read the links I posted.

Citing the highly partisan "Watts Up with That," by weather man (and non-scientist) Anthony Watts, is hardly surprising. I'll stick with the science provided by the EPA and NASA.

Quote:
Watts's blog has been criticized for inaccuracy. The Guardian columnist George Monbiot described WUWT as "highly partisan and untrustworthy".

Leo Hickman, at The Guardian's Environment Blog, also criticized Watts's blog, stating that Watts "risks polluting his legitimate scepticism about the scientific processes and methodologies underpinning climate science with his accompanying politicised commentary."

"There are many credible sources of information, and they aren't blog sites run by weathermen like Anthony Watts", wrote David Suzuki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watts_Up_With_That%3F#Reception

Again:

Quote:
Worldwide, 2001-2010 was the warmest decade on record since thermometer-based observations began.

http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/science......ure.html
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20259 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Which was when?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

In the decade FOLLOWING 1999, when the deniers claim that warming ceased, despite the facts that show it didn't. If warming ceased in 1999, why is 2001-2010 the hottest (world-wide) on record?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
It is curious that the rate of warming has slowed in the past decade. It remains alarming that temperatures remain the highest of recorded history. Slowing is good; it might give homo sapiens time to end the quarrels and move forward.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20259 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I mean when did recordkeeping begin?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

When trees started having rings.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15940 Posts

Profile of tommy

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Scientists agree on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (190 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..17..31..45..59..71~72~73~74~75..96..116..136..156..175~176~177 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL