The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Scientists agree on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (191 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..17..31..45..59..73~74~75~76~77..97..116..135..154..173..175~176~177 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The nearly unanimous global consensus is there, tommy, so I disagree. But at least you're not agreeing with Slim's absurd and patently false statement that the original study was just a student's email.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2014, Payne wrote:
Quote:

On Jul 25, 2014, Slim King wrote:

The earth is heated by the sun.

And that heat is being retained in the atmosphere by the excess co2 our industrialized civilization is generating. Which is why the planet is warming. How difficult is that to understand?

Very difficult when it's July 28 and the temps are supposed to be sweltering hot and high today is 68 degrees!!
Check out Bafflingbob.com
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
And yet again Bob- if GW was a crisis- why hasn't anything been done? I have posted this a few times now and always no response. Because it's a fact that if GW was truly a crisis something would have been done by now with bi-partisan agreement as there ALWAYS is when a crisis needs attention. Apparently- GW is NOT a true crisis- the inaction by our government is proof in itself.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Action has been blocked by the Republican House for political reasons- as usual. However, court rulings, EPA regulations and executive orders have been issued that directly deal with and attempt to correct the problem.

Unfortunately, the lobbyists for big oil have way too many GOP legislators in their pockets.

By your logic, cigarette smoking wasn't dangerous because for years the government didn't do anything about it, even after the dangers had become well known. The SAME folks who are blocking action on AGW were behind the pro-tobacco lobbying as well.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So anything one side wants done or more appropriately your side, is right and a crisis and anyone with another idea is obstructionist.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Never mind governments, you will not have nations at all. The guys that run the world, for instance, the guys who control the Council on Foreign Relations that we don’t elect, the Rockefeller & Co. It is their international foundations that will control it all. In a world of interdependence you have no independence. IPCC’s director general. Rajendra K. Pachauri He’s a railway engineer. People like him will be in control of the train and the big boys, they will say where to take it too. Technocrats you see, that are appointed to rule over countries. They’ve got to eradicate anything which could make you independent. No you can not have five chickens! Chicken farms must be massive and under the control of the big boys. Only the big boys have the technically delicate ability and process of collecting chicken farts and disposing of them safely to save the planet. So they get the contract from the international chicken fart foundation. You, you pay them. From the pay you for clearing the snow.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2014, RNK wrote:
And yet again Bob- if GW was a crisis- why hasn't anything been done? I have posted this a few times now and always no response. Because it's a fact that if GW was truly a crisis something would have been done by now with bi-partisan agreement as there ALWAYS is when a crisis needs attention. Apparently- GW is NOT a true crisis- the inaction by our government is proof in itself.

Good one, RNK! You had me going there for a minute.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
It appears that Mr. King is in the minority as nearly 8 out of 10 of his fellow Floridians now believe that Global Warming is a reality, is affecting their lives and wants the EPA to start doing something about it

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/st....../2190141

But then most of Florida is barely above sea level so their state will be one of the first to be adversely affected by the rising tides
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

They believe it because they are able to witness its effects first hand.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Like magic?

The amateur conjurer who is not naturally blessed with a "gift of the gab" should rehearse his "Patter" or monologue as carefully as his action. The simplest effect should be appropriately clothed with chicanery or plausible sophistry which apparently explains the procedure but in reality describes about the contrary of what takes place. For some of the following effects we have invented names and garnished them up with a rigmarole merely to show the part that "Patter" plays in climate entertainments. Our readers essaying the effects should compose their own monologue, so that it may be in keeping with their particular personality or style of address.

:)
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:

No one us responding because it's hard to believe that you are serious. Can you think of a single crisis in which the correct response came very late? How about the global banking crisis? Think of any wars that should have been stopped sooner? How about famines? Disease? Lack of clean drinking water?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I think I already gave the answer as to why nothing is being done by this Congress. It's patently obvious.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Some people think the way the world works is that it's blown in this direction and that by random winds. It doesn't work that way. The global banking crisis? Planned, Think of any wars that should have been stopped sooner? All planed! How about famines? Planned! Disease? Planned! Lack of clean drinking water? Planned?

Tommy
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
3009 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 28, 2014, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:

No one us responding because it's hard to believe that you are serious. Can you think of a single crisis in which the correct response came very late? How about the global banking crisis? Think of any wars that should have been stopped sooner? How about famines? Disease? Lack of clean drinking water?

Or slavery - that one was hardly solved through bipartisanship. Medical insurance reform? That was a party line vote. Some insist that it wasn't a crisis, but I'll bet the 30 million uninsured felt otherwise. The only real "crises" that seem to galvanize some bipartisan support these days seem to be military ones, and now even that seems to be diminishing. The current political climate is all about undermining the opposition, regardless of merit. Most speeches are given to empty chambers, although staffers may review the record simply to find something to attack. God bless you, though, for thinking that our current government can still be trusted to address a crisis.

The thing about AGW is it's slow moving - the old "boiling a frog" idea. There are no skyscrapers falling to send a clear message that the crisis has arrived. True, there is increasingly extreme weather, but it's going to have to get really, really bad before the holdouts are forced to connect the dots, and then they'll probably dismiss it with a brilliant insight like, "the sun warms the earth."

"There is a time in the life of every problem where it is large enough to see, but small enough to address."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Haven't you noticed, we are in an age of perpetual crisis. We get new crisis every month now. and it’s all global as well. Perpetual war, War on the climate, according to the Club of Rome, and war on humanity itself. They blame us for all this nonsense they create, like we are the magic wand that causes the effect. Hide the cause show the effect and claim it's the masses. What colour alert are we on today I wonder.

You can even find the idea on wiki look

"The politics of fear is when leaders (or candidates for leadership) use fear as a driving or motivating factor for the people, to get them to vote a particular way, allow excesses in spending, or accept policies they might otherwise abhor. It's banking on the fact that presenting people with an alleged threat to their well-being will elicit a powerful emotional response that can override reason and prevent a critical assessment of these policies. The Cheney Bush administration used this expertly since the events of September 11, 2001 to illegally invade liberate Iraq, erode civil liberties, and avoid Congressional oversight. This has been continued by the Obama administration, and doesn't seem likely to end any time soon. It is, however, not really a modern phenomenon--access to modern media simply makes it much easier to fear-monger."

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2014, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2014, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:

Or slavery - that one was hardly solved through bipartisanship. Medical insurance reform? That was a party line vote. Some insist that it wasn't a crisis, but I'll bet the 30 million uninsured felt otherwise. The only real "crises" that seem to galvanize some bipartisan support these days seem to be military ones, and now even that seems to be diminishing. The current political climate is all about undermining the opposition, regardless of merit. Most speeches are given to empty chambers, although staffers may review the record simply to find something to attack. God bless you, though, for thinking that our current government can still be trusted to address a crisis.

The thing about AGW is it's slow moving - the old "boiling a frog" idea. There are no skyscrapers falling to send a clear message that the crisis has arrived. True, there is increasingly extreme weather, but it's going to have to get really, really bad before the holdouts are forced to connect the dots, and then they'll probably dismiss it with a brilliant insight like, "the sun warms the earth."

"There is a time in the life of every problem where it is large enough to see, but small enough to address."

You do know the frog idea is a myth right? Funny you should use that to prove your point.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
3009 Posts

So now you're a "frog boiling" denier too?

97% of people agree, the sun warms the frog.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2014, Payne wrote:
It appears that Mr. King is in the minority as nearly 8 out of 10 of his fellow Floridians now believe that Global Warming is a reality, is affecting their lives and wants the EPA to start doing something about it

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/st....../2190141

But then most of Florida is barely above sea level so their state will be one of the first to be adversely affected by the rising tides

You need to read your own sources ... The questions were about GL and not MAN MADE GL... Of course we have fluctuations in temperatures ..always have and always will unless the liberals tell you they can keep it at a constant 72 degress 24/7 ... and then you'll be glad to pay their tax for another impossibility ... But we've grown used to the lies ... According to them Florida should be covered already ... and guess what ... It looks just the same as it did when I moved here!!!!!!
If they tell you that the sun doesn't heat the earth ...they lie
Smile
Been here about 15 years, living between Daytona Beach and Orlando ... Absolutely NO NOTICEABLE CHANGE in the beaches I visit .... The water level appears the same... Someone lied to you. I also went to Beards Hollow when in Washington ... Looks like the water is much farther from the old cave... The rest of the beaches up and down the Oregon coast looked just as they did 25 years ago when I toured the area heavily.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
What was it the IPCC said, we’ve got to put out scary scenarios or the public won’t believe us.

Tommy
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
So anything one side wants done or more appropriately your side, is right and a crisis and anyone with another idea is obstructionist.

Exactly Danny. Further, I do believe from 2008 to 2010 the Congress and Senate were a Democrat majority. So much so that they passed the Healthcare Law without bi-partisan and American people majority support. If it was such a crisis in their minds- they would have easily moved and have been able to easily pass ANYTHING they wanted including a Law dealing with Global Warming. But they did nothing about it. Why? NO CONCRETE EVIDENCE. That's why. And they couldn't afford to ram another bill down our throats that had no concrete evidence with all scientists agreeing that GW was happening without facing future political consequences. As a matter of fact, the GW issue has, thankfully, lost some steam since then.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Scientists agree on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (191 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..17..31..45..59..73~74~75~76~77..97..116..135..154..173..175~176~177 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL