The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Scientists agree on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (190 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..39..73..107..141..175~176~177 [Next]
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Whose emissions have caused the most damage?

And what has caused the damage?

From a new study. News report here.

Quote:
The scientific community around the world agrees: global warming is everyone's problem. But which countries have contributed to it the most? A new study from Concordia University in Montreal reveals the prime culprits - and it's not good news for Britain and the US.

The data looks at total carbon dioxide emissions and global average temperature increases from 1750 to 2005, taking into account fossil fuel combustion and land-use change, as well as methane, nitrous oxide and sulphate aerosol emissions.

The team, led by Associate Professor Damon Matthews at the department of Geography, Planning and Environment, measured the percentage of temperature change that could be attributed to individual countries. They found that, since 1750, the United States has been the largest single contributor to global warming, responsible for nearly 20 per cent of the rise in average temperature.

Second in the list was China, followed by Russia, Brazil and India in the top five. Germany came in sixth, with the United Kingdom ranked seventh overall for its contribution to global warming, accounting for roughly 4.4 percent of temperature change.

The picture changed dramatically when the team calculated the contributions to global warming on a per capita basis - looking at which countries had been most responsible for a rise in temperature relative to their population.

The report found that the emissions analysed accounted for a global average temperature rise of nearly 1 degree celsius since the Industrial age, and of 0.7 degrees since 1906 - in line with previous findings that put the change at 0.74 degrees since 1906.

While the report focusses on the impact that developed countries have had on global warming, the team of scientists acknowledges that future temperature changes will depend on emerging economies adding to the current levels of emissions.

The report concludes: ' If we are to have a chance of staying below 2 °C while also addressing fundamentally important issues associated with international equity, it is imperative that developed countries do not allow their greenhouse gas emissions to continue increasing at historical rates.'

Original Article here.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2014-01-19 10:02, NicholasD wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-01-19 08:47, Dennis Michael wrote:
Global Warming and Global Freezing are natural events based on the orbit and tilt of Earth.

I was beginning to think that I was the only one with any common sense.

If common sense means denying science despite the clear evidence, there is really nothing that can be said.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2014-01-19 10:33, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

Quote:
The scientific community around the world agrees: global warming is everyone's problem. But which countries have contributed to it the most? A new study from Concordia University in Montreal reveals the prime culprits - and it's not good news for Britain and the US.

The data looks at total carbon dioxide emissions and global average temperature increases from 1750 to 2005, taking into account fossil fuel combustion and land-use change, as well as methane, nitrous oxide and sulphate aerosol emissions.

The team, led by Associate Professor Damon Matthews at the department of Geography, Planning and Environment, measured the percentage of temperature change that could be attributed to individual countries. They found that, since 1750, the United States has been the largest single contributor to global warming, responsible for nearly 20 per cent of the rise in average temperature.

Second in the list was China, followed by Russia, Brazil and India in the top five. Germany came in sixth, with the United Kingdom ranked seventh overall for its contribution to global warming, accounting for roughly 4.4 percent of temperature change.

The picture changed dramatically when the team calculated the contributions to global warming on a per capita basis - looking at which countries had been most responsible for a rise in temperature relative to their population.

The report found that the emissions analysed accounted for a global average temperature rise of nearly 1 degree celsius since the Industrial age, and of 0.7 degrees since 1906 - in line with previous findings that put the change at 0.74 degrees since 1906.

While the report focusses on the impact that developed countries have had on global warming, the team of scientists acknowledges that future temperature changes will depend on emerging economies adding to the current levels of emissions.

The report concludes: ' If we are to have a chance of staying below 2 °C while also addressing fundamentally important issues associated with international equity, it is imperative that developed countries do not allow their greenhouse gas emissions to continue increasing at historical rates.'

Original Article here.

If all else fails to convince people. Throw in pretty colors. That usually works. If not then make some sort of graph and throw in some sort of study by some group that supports your theory. That should close the deal. Smile Oh and be sure to call the group scientific. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-01-19 11:51, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-01-19 10:33, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

Quote:

Original Article here.

If all else fails to convince people. Throw in pretty colors. That usually works. If not then make some sort of graph and throw in some sort of study by some group that supports your theory. That should close the deal. Smile Oh and be sure to call the group scientific. Smile

So tell me. Where is there an error in the data? Sarcasm and pretense of superiority gets you only so far. What is wrong with the data. I gave a link to the source, you should be able to tell us what is wrong with the graphics.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

For those who prefer numbers to graphics, I have copied a table from the published research. As always, the Café is unfriendly to tables. The left column gives ranking for total contribution (emissions, deforestation, etc.) since 1750. The right column adjusts it to a per capita (per billion actually) ranking.

As you can see, the worst overall contributers are
1. USA
2. China
3. Russia
4. Brazil
5. India.

But when you adjust for population, the worst offenders become

1. United Kingdom
2. USA
3. Canada
4. Russia
5. Germany

Quote:
Table 3. Total versus per-capita contributions to temperature change for the world’s top 20 total emitters from table 2. Rows with light
shading indicate countries whose total or per-capita climate contribution is above the current global average (0:004 C per
country; 0:11C per billion people). Rows with dark shading indicate countries whose contribution is also above the projected
global average for a world with 9 billion people, 196 countries and a global warming of 2 C above pre-industrial (0:01C per country;
0:22 C per billion people).

Rank Total warming C Warming per billion people
1 United States 0.151 United Kingdom 0.54
2 China 0.063 United States 0.51
3 Russia 0.059 Canada 0.41
4 Brazil 0.049 Russia 0.41
5 India 0.047 Germany 0.40
6 Germany 0.033 Netherlands 0.34
7 United Kingdom 0.032 Australia 0.30
8 France 0.016 Brazil 0.26
9 Indonesia 0.015 France 0.26
10 Canada 0.013 Venezuela 0.25
11 Japan 0.013 Argentina 0.23
12 Mexico 0.010 Colombia 0.21
13 Thailand 0.009 Poland 0.19
14 Columbia 0.009 Thailand 0.14
15 Argentina 0.009 Japan 0.10
16 Poland 0.007 Mexico 0.09
17 Nigeria 0.007 Indonesia 0.07
18 Venezuela 0.007 Nigeria 0.05
19 Australia 0.006 China 0.05
20 Netherlands 0.006 India 0.04

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2726 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2014-01-18 14:11, tommy wrote:
99% of the of believers must on Pops Magnetized Water.

...or maybe they know more than you.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-01-19 12:16, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-01-19 11:51, acesover wrote:

So tell me. Where is there an error in the data? Sarcasm and pretense of superiority gets you only so far. What is wrong with the data. I gave a link to the source, you should be able to tell us what is wrong with the graphics.

Exactly, Magnus. He presents NOTHING to contradict that data. The reason being, of course, that he has nothing to contradict it with. Hence the sarcasm and condescension. That's really all that the conspiracy theorists and science deniers have, anyway.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15919 Posts

Profile of tommy
Certainly they know no more than their Oracle tells them.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2726 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2014-01-19 12:49, tommy wrote:
Certainly they know no more than their Oracle tells them.

...was that supposed to be an answer /q

Cause as an answer, it sucked.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

It seems that it is the science deniers who accept the pronouncements of "oracles" rather than the findings of scientists.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I'll be long dead before it gets warm here in NJ.
Dennis Michael
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-01-19 13:14, Dennis Michael wrote:
I'll be long dead before it gets warm here in NJ.

Where were you on the first day of this winter?

Quote:
The first day of winter seemed more like the first day of spring across the Garden State.

Several record high temperatures were set today as unseasonably warm air moved into New Jersey, and on Sunday, virtually every temperature record in the state is likely to fall, according to forecasters.

In fact, in some places, the all-time record high temperature for the month could be challenged as temperatures could surge into the 70s a day into winter.

A brisk southerly flow is allowing mild air to push into the region from the south ahead of a powerful cold front moving into the center of the country, said Dean Iovino, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service’s Mount Holly office.
Newark, Atlantic City, New York and Philadelphia were among the major Northeast cities to break or tie records today.

The National Weather Service says both Atlantic City and Philadelphia reached 67 degrees this afternoon. That broke Atlantic City’s previous mark of 63 degrees, set in 2011, and bested Philadelphia’s previous high of 66 degrees, set in 1895...

http://www.nj.com/weather-guy/index.ssf/......tim.html
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-01-19 13:41, mastermindreader wrote:

Far more often, I've heard the claim or suggestion that Global Warming is proven because it's warm today where I live.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Those who accept the science know the difference between climate and weather, and I've never heard any of them assert that it is proven because a given day is warm. Citing the current temperature in a given place as "proof" of anything is almost exclusively done by AGW deniers.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15919 Posts

Profile of tommy
The believers call their Oracles scientists, for it makes the believers feel all warm and cosy, even when it's freezing cold.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-01-19 14:02, tommy wrote:
The believers call their Oracles scientists, for it makes the believers feel all warm and cosy, even when it's freezing cold.

See the cartoon above, Tommy. Pretty well sums up your position.

What strikes me as odd is that you can accept nearly any conspiracy theory without any supporting evidence at all, but when it comes to something that has been documented and accepted by virtually all climate scientists, you don't hesitate to to claim is it false.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15919 Posts

Profile of tommy
When is your long-promised climate catastrophe going to happen?

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Read the scientific papers, tommy. Then you wouldn't need to ask that.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15919 Posts

Profile of tommy
And for the people who can't read: Don't worry, it will never happen.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Scientists agree on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (190 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..39..73..107..141..175~176~177 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL