The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Scientists agree on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (190 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..24..45..66..87..105~106~107~108~109..123..136..149..162..175~176~177 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20260 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea that really is a big difference isn't it?

Better yet they use our money to subsidize failed companies. Or even give oil companies huge subsidies.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20260 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Although completely unrelated and in a fit of hypocritical irony Texas has made it so you can not buy a Tesla in Texas. A KILLER car of the future and the tech that will indeed get us off fossil fuels eventually.

I am a big free market guy. Not letting them compete? Wow. I am also a huge car guy and Tesla will lead the way in innovation. Inever thought I would admit that but they will. So how is it possible? Apparently less than 300 grand is all it took! So selling out your free market ideals only costs300 grand? Obviously a buyers market.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15940 Posts

Profile of tommy
If we don't overthrow capitalism, do we have a chance of saving the world Bob?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Although completely unrelated and in a fit of hypocritical irony Texas has made it so you can not buy a Tesla in Texas. A KILLER car of the future and the tech that will indeed get us off fossil fuels eventually.

I am a big free market guy. Not letting them compete? Wow. I am also a huge car guy and Tesla will lead the way in innovation. Inever thought I would admit that but they will. So how is it possible? Apparently less than 300 grand is all it took! So selling out your free market ideals only costs300 grand? Obviously a buyers market.

I agree that they should be allowed to be sold everywhere although it's not just Texas.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrogowsky......ts-cars/
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
You miss the point of the conspiracy, tommy. The Illuminati and the Bilderbergs, etc. ARE the capitalists. Don't know how you could have missed that.

It's not about one world government- it's about a one world corporation.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Even concrete has an energy/carbon footprint. As does construction and manufacture of items which offer reduced greenhouse gas during part of the product lifecycle. By way of negative example consider the disposal and recycling of florescent bulbs.

Quote:
On Aug 30, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
I don't know. Why do you think we keep pumping unregulated greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere?

the key words there are "we" and "unregulated"

some of we are fine with affordable alternatives - and additional regulation just adds costs to be externalized upon others
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4824 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2014, tommy wrote:
If we don't overthrow capitalism, do we have a chance of saving the world Bob?

I know this was addressed to Bob, but since the ball is coming my way...

No.
That is, if by saving the world, you mean making the world inhabitable and livable for the majority of the people on Earth alive now and their descendants.

Capitalism is excellent at achieving short range solutions for some people. Poor at long range ones for the planet.

Personally though, I think the final blows will come because of reasons other than strictly climatic ones. Wars, pollution, starvation--all deprivations that capitalism cannot solve and indeed aggravates.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Nothing is "unregulated"! Get real.
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15940 Posts

Profile of tommy
One Corporation, right? In control of all diminishing resources, with the worlds leading experts shapers of opinion and policy at the steering wheel. Right? To save the world. Right? We could call it the Rockefeller United Corporation. Right? We the workers, we might have a Climate Constitution perhaps? Or would that be too much to ask for? It's a big idea. Right? The historians, they call such things “Great Experiments”. America and its Constitution, Communism etc these were “Great Experiments”. And here we are, in this time and in this place in the Greatest Experiment in history. Good luck and may your gods go with you.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 31, 2014, landmark wrote:...making the world inhabitable and livable for the majority of the people on Earth alive now and their descendants....

where's the value in that?

if you look to history you can get a rough estimate of the "natural" state of affairs before the language/technology hiccup of the last three hundred years.

bonfire of the vanities as cultural schadenfreude. weeping green armbands for a thousand year program to save the world from ...

anthropocentric global worry (for profit, trademarked and matching government funds of course)
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4824 Posts

Profile of landmark
I am cynical about any market-based solution to solving global problems (I'm looking at you, Al Gore). Once a problem gets commodified, then those with wealth get to foist their problem on those who have no wealth. So we end up with areas free of pollution and carbon emissions on one end of the Earth and a surplus on the other end where the poor people live. It's the new worldwide gentrification.

Nope, capitalism's not going to solve that problem. And save your pennies for your water and the bottled air.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 31, 2014, landmark wrote:
...Nope, capitalism's not going to solve that problem...

Disagree - though perhaps some don't like current market based solutions, such as "$ugge$t" a policy that shifts responsibility to others and let them take it to court if they don't like it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20260 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Landmark you dislike capitalism at all so it is no shock you think it is not a solution. But it has raised more people out of poverty than any other solution.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

It could be argued, though, that it has also kept more people in poverty.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 31, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
It could be argued, though, that it has also kept more people in poverty.

more than what?
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Non-sequitor, Jonathan. In my sentence "more" clearly refers to "people," not capitalism.

But to answer your question literally- More than birds.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Okay let's try rationally - in terms of percent of the population of a state and in terms of world population?

how's the poverty level?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15940 Posts

Profile of tommy
The Rockefeller's solution will work perfectly well, it seems to me. After we have handed over control of all resources to the Rockefeller's experts, then all we have do, is wonder how on earth we are going to get out of the rabbit hole we have gone down.

"Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be too late!"

In another moment down went Alice after it, never once considering how in the world she was to get out again.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4824 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Landmark you dislike capitalism at all so it is no shock you think it is not a solution. But it has raised more people out of poverty than any other solution.

Hmm...I think that honor probably goes to the Chinese 1948 revolution. Not that I'm a particular fan.

But back on topic...It's not that I think capitalism has not had some successes--but as I said before it is not a system that can provide planetary equity. Why is there bottled water again?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15940 Posts

Profile of tommy
John D. Rockefeller gained his fortune monopolizing the oil industry through often times unethical means. Monopoly, it seems to run the Rockefeller's blood. Control all resources to be handed to these experts gives them a monopoly..

http://www.history.com/topics/john-d-roc......monopoly

After control of all resources have been handed to the worlds leading climate experts and shapers of opinion and policy and members of the Club of Rome then the Rockefeller's. will have a monopoly.

This future is achieved by telling governments "Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be too late!" the end world is coming and it's too big for governments to cope with and so the only way is hand control to the experts. As they said, in searching for a common enemy against whom we can unite, we came up with the idea global warming and water shortages. The water shortage is the crisis con they will create next and it will spark governments to hand control to them at that point.

Water is the new oil

Companies proclaim water the next oil in a rush to turn resources into profit

Mammoth companies are trying to collect water that all life needs and charge for it as they would for other natural resources. http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/ju......s-stocks

How to get the future you want?

http://www.iftf.org/home/

I am afraid there is no way out this rabbit hole we are being lead down old boy. Least I can't think of one.

He did not know what to do, and, in his sorrow, he lay down and fell asleep and he dreamed and when he dreamed he dreamed of money. Smile

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Scientists agree on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (190 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..24..45..66..87..105~106~107~108~109..123..136..149..162..175~176~177 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL