The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Scientists agree on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (191 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..29~30~31~32~33..62..90..118..146..174..175~176~177 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2014, tommy wrote:

Bob was never one to let science get in the way of a good magic trick. Smile

Just as tommy has never been one to let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am going to simplify and say "erosion" may be one reason sea levels are different in some places than others.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with either side. I am just saying that it seems like a pretty straight forward answer sort of. I could be wrong though.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
The reason aliens visit our planet is to dump their grey water tanks on their space ships. Thus causing the oceans to rise. That's the real reason for the pollution too. Humans have nothing to do with it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I see.....tell me more.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The sea levels are not different in some places than others.

There are no hills of sea for ships to up and down. Smile

When you leave Rhode Island on a boat you do not come to a big slope of sea and slide down it to a lower level.

Not unless you are carrying your boat on your head and walking across the sea bed.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Do you know the Panama Canal[q] The canal is a series of locks which you have to traverse one at a time. Why[q] [Forgive me, for some reason, the question mark on this keyboard doesn't work]
You have to traverse these locks because the sea level is different at one end of the canal from the other.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Why do some find it odd that sea level varies in different areas? It's been more than adequately explained in the links posted earlier. (Or is National Geographic in on the conspiracy too, tommy?)

Additionally, did you ever hear of tides? Do tides come in and out at the same time at every place in the world? Now add currents, thermal expansion, plate shifts, erosion, etc.

Now call the University of Rhode Island and tell them that they're all wrong. I'm sure they will appreciate your expertise.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Aah variation... just like climate change, we're to blame for it all!
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2014, ed rhodes wrote:
Do you know the Panama Canal[q] The canal is a series of locks which you have to traverse one at a time. Why[q] [Forgive me, for some reason, the question mark on this keyboard doesn't work]
You have to traverse these locks because the sea level is different at one end of the canal from the other.

So. if the locks weren't there and it was just a channel would the Pacific drain into the Atlantic ?
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 7, 2014, GlenD wrote:
Aah variation... just like climate change, we're to blame for it all!

Of course no one ever said that. (Perfect example of the straw man fallacy in action, BTW) How does the statement that human activities CONTRIBUTE to climate change translate to human activities are to blame for it all?

It doesn't.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Good point Bob. But is the question one of absolutes. There are many contributing factors, one of which is human activities. The real question is whether or not human activity is the major cause of the geometric increase in global temperature increases, melting of glaciers and ice packs at the poles and all the other indicators that climatologists observe have occurred in the last 150 years or so. If it will take another hundred years to make this more than speculation and the climatologists are correct then we should try to do something about it before it's too late. A side benefit is the development of many technologies which have great economic potential.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
(Perfect example of the straw man fallacy in action, BTW)

Ah yes, the straw man fallacy. Something Bob is well acquainted with. As he will be quick to point it out when used against him and quick to ignore complaints about when he uses is against you.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

MRSharpe- I agree that the extent of man's involvement is yet to be determined. It's know, though, that carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has increased significantly ever since the industrial revolution.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
“Why do some find it odd that sea level varies in different areas?

Why because the claim that “sea level varies in different areas” is complete and utter nonsense that is why!

The sea is a continuous body of salt water that covers most of the Earth's surface. If the sea was not a continuous body of salt water but several separated bodies then one could have different levels. The Caspian Sea perhaps may be landlocked and separated and so that one might be a different level I guess. Taking a bucket of the sea is like taking a bucket of water out of ones swimming pool, it levels out.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Https://theconversation.com/is-misinform......t_333276

AGW Alarmism really is like religion! Some think it heretical to have a contrary point of view and worthy of imprisonment. Much like Galileo was convicted of heresy by the church for believing the Earth revolved around the Sun.

"Is misinformation about the climate criminally negligent?"
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials......ange.htm

Mythical Climate Change Consensus Hits An Iceberg

"Climate change "deniers," as global warm-mongers call those who think empirical evidence is more reliable than computer models, may soon count among their number a 50,000-strong body of physicists.
At the risk of being accused of embracing what alarmists call the flat-earth view of climate change, the American Physical Society has appointed a balanced, six-person committee to review its stance on so-called climate change that includes three distinguished skeptics: Judith Curry, John Christy and Richard Lindzen. Their credentials are impressive."

"A question the American Physical Society panel will address is one we ask repeatedly: Why wasn't the current global temperature stasis, with no discernible change in the past 15 years, not predicted by any of the climate models used by the IPCC, part of the United Nations?
The APS announcement lists among its questions to be answered: "How long must the stasis persist before there would be a firm declaration of a problem with the models?""
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
“So often did rain follow the major battles of the American Civil war that meteorologists believed the concussion of the combat was the cause. Theologians had another explanation.”

Thomas Boynton, journal Aug. 19 – 26 1775.

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2014, tommy wrote:

Why because the claim that “sea level varies in different areas” is complete and utter nonsense that is why!

The sea is a continuous body of salt water that covers most of the Earth's surface. If the sea was not a continuous body of salt water but several separated bodies then one could have different levels. The Caspian Sea perhaps may be landlocked and separated and so that one might be a different level I guess. Taking a bucket of the sea is like taking a bucket of water out of ones swimming pool, it levels out.

Then why do they need to raise or lower the ships traveling through the Panama Canal?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2014, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2014, tommy wrote:

Then why do they need to raise or lower the ships traveling through the Panama Canal?

OMG. You kidding right?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Canal

Lock, canal, stretch of water enclosed by gates, one at each end, built into a canal or river for the purpose of raising or lowering a vessel from one water level to another. A lock may also be built into the entrance of a dock for the same purpose. When the ship is to be raised to a higher level, it enters the lock and a gate is closed behind it. Water is let into the lock until its level equals that of the water ahead. The forward gate is then opened, and the ship progresses on the higher level. The procedure is reversed when the vessel is to pass from a higher to a lower level. As many locks as necessary are used in a given waterway. Most modern locks are made of concrete, although some have walls of steel-sheet piles or floors of natural rock or sand. The mitre gate, frequently used in the United States, consists of two swinging sections forming an arc or shallow V, with the apex pointed toward high water so that water pressure keeps both sections tightly sealed when closed. Another type of gate in common use consists of one piece of sheet steel that slides across the entrance to the lock on rollers or is lifted into the air or sunk underwater. The gates of most locks are operated by hydraulic or electric power. Water is poured into or out of locks through culverts built into the masonry structure of the lock walls. Among well-known locks are those of the Panama Canal.

http://www.reference.com/browse/canal

Does that help Ed, in understanding the difference between a canal and the sea? It also seems to me you are confusing level and depth: A swimming pool can be 3ft deep at the shallow end and 6ft deep at the deep end but the level of the water is no different at one than the other. The level is not the depth and the canal is not the sea. Lock is the key word to think about.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Scientists agree on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (191 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..29~30~31~32~33..62..90..118..146..174..175~176~177 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL