The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Scientists agree on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (190 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..38..73..108..143..174~175~176~177 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4824 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:

Diplomacy is just another way of imposing your will on others John.

You want to expand on that? That's one of the more interesting statements I've heard today. I think in most people's minds--including my own--diplomacy is the exact opposite of imposition.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20259 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What is the goal of diplomacy landmark? To get what you want. To impose YOUR WILL. How is it you miss this? It is simply the nicest way you can impose your will.

Much like perfect health being simply the slowest rate at which you can possibly die.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
LOL Danny. Anything to think you're winning.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4845 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2015, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2015, Slim King wrote:
The sun heats the earth Smile

And Slim's hot air heats the Café.

Ron

At least Slim is not trying to tax/charge us for it!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20259 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Sure John. Funny how you can't say it is wrong though. You have a Utopian vision for the world and it does not work. Never will.

And good point about taxes. Amazing how many solutions involve more government and more taxes.

Isn't diplomacy just more intervention John? Telling others how to live better? But that you are OK with because it is for their own good. It's consistency too much to ask?

From you it always seems to be.

So intervention you agree with is good and when you disagree it is bad.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Yawn. Back to pretending that I have a utopian vision of the world, Danny. Funny how every time I ask you to provide a single shred of evidence for me posting anything of the kind always leads to silence on your part.

If you can't tell the difference between negotiation and intervention, you really are missing a few marbles.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20259 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why is it every time you are backed into a corner you resort to name calling?

When others do it this is proof they have no point. Hmmm.

Just push your agenda at all costs. Consistency does not matter.

So you have no need to change things you just want to bloviate about them?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

I am not in a corner. Check the dictionary for the difference between negotiation and imposition. You're being a fool, Danny.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20259 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
And you are being intentionally evasive so you can not be pinned to a position. Always leaving room to use wiggle words tip claim you never meant this or that. Pathetic really.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

I evade nothing. I have already said what I believe. You are the one pretending that I have a "utopian vision" whatever that is. And you are the one who claims that diplomacy and imposition of will are the same thing. I am merely mocking you for your absurd claims.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Not restricting pollution would be far more burdensome in the long run.

If nuclear waste were dumped downtown, it would be cheap and efficient for the company that wants to get rid of it. But the financial burden of ethical disposal is reasonable, don't you think?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17522 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Actually, rockwall, I did read the actual study. Good bluff, but you obviously either didn't read it or didn't understand it. Or are you pretending that a literature search of over 11,000 papers is part of a "simple survey" and that the conclusions drawn from reading the abstracts is part of a "simple survey". If that's so, I'd love to see another example of such a "simple survey". Asking authors to self-rate on the same scale as the readers gave, I suppose is some sort of "survey" but you miss the breadth of the study if you rely on that single aspect.

And what in the world is an implicit "simple survey"? Very funny.

Quote:
The study provides 3 levels of endorsement of AGW, all the way from 'explicit endorsement' to 'implicit endorsement' which would allow anything from 'man is the primary cause of AGW' all the way down to 'man is causing AGW to some extent'. The study then combines all of these levels into one lump to come up with their conclusion that '97% of the scientific papers endorse the position of AGW. In other words, they reduce this down to a "simple survey" question to come up with their 97% number.

Not quite. They have a 7-point scale (see Table 2 in the original study) which they do interpret under the three categories you mention. But this hardly counts as their main conclusion, or a reduction of the entire study to a "simple survey".

Quote:
Next, the uniformed, (and the dishonest), take this supposed conclusion to conclude that EVERY claim made about AGW, from worse and more frequent storms to the flooding of the planet has that same level of scientific support.

Good thing none of us are saying that, eh?

So you admit that the email survey guy DIDN'T read the 11,000 articles and just assumed he knew what was in them by title??? Is that it then .... Because I've read many of the authors say that he misrepresented their articles ...
So this guy misrepresented "intentionally" to get to his preconceived notions.....
I rest my case ... Obviously 97% DON'T AGREE!!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3358 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
NASA says it is 97%. These are the sources NASA uses for the 97% figure:

W. R. L. Anderegg, “Expert Credibility in Climate Change,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences Vol. 107 No. 27, 12107-12109 (21 June 2010); DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1003187107.

P. T. Doran & M. K. Zimmerman, "Examining the Scientific Consensus on Climate Change," Eos Transactions American Geophysical Union Vol. 90 Issue 3 (2009), 22; DOI: 10.1029/2009EO030002.

N. Oreskes, “Beyond the Ivory Tower: The Scientific Consensus on Climate Change,” Science Vol. 306 no. 5702, p. 1686 (3 December 2004); DOI: 10.1126/science.1103618.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17522 Posts

Profile of Slim King
NASA's own scientists say it's a 150 year cycle.... But they want MY government money ... So they shake the alarm switch for profit.

BTW ... Unfortunately, NASA lost 50% of its Space Shuttle Fleet ... So they certainly aren't correct all the time now are they?????
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3358 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2015, Slim King wrote:
NASA's own scientists say it's a 150 year cycle.... But they want MY government money ... So they shake the alarm switch for profit.

BTW ... Unfortunately, NASA lost 50% of its Space Shuttle Fleet ... So they certainly aren't correct all the time now are they?????

Give me a source for the 150 year cycle statement? Thanks.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
He's ignoring actual NASA data and simply stating what his niece told him, which is obviously out of context or simply incorrect.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 12, 2015, Pop Haydn wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2015, Slim King wrote:

Give me a source for the 150 year cycle statement? Thanks.

Slim misinterpreted a statement from his niece way back on page 77. He was shown to be completely wrong. Perhaps he's hoping we'd forgotten.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17522 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2015, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
They don't happen because we regulate them.

Nobody is advocating crashing the world economy, and the quality of the science is the question before us. It is very clear that the science is not shaky.

The practical question of how to achieve lower emissions with minimal impact to the global question is before us. Simply dismissing it does no one any service.

It is not very clear that the science is not shaky. The science is shaky indeed.

Not according to qualified climate scientists. According to people who actually do the work, the science is very solid. According to special interest groups and bloggers, the scientists don't know what they're talking about.

It is absolutely astounding to me how many people are prepared to ignore the science and trust the blogs on ideological and political grounds. Absolutely amazing.

If the scientists are so great why have all of their prediction models been off so horribly? Over 94% WRONG!!!!
http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/11/report......e-wrong/
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3358 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I wouldn't trust Tucker Carlson as a science advisor, his BA was in history.

Maybe this will help explain things for you Slim:

NASA:

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/sci......20oct_1/
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17522 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
He's ignoring actual NASA data and simply stating what his niece told him, which is obviously out of context or simply incorrect.
Lora IS the person who actually gets the data ... her nickname is Cold Lora since she spent so many months on both the north and south polar regions ...

As in all things I trust someone who was actually THERE, whether she's my niece or not. NASA needs the money and they will spin it any way it takes to get more. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Scientists agree on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (190 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..38..73..108..143..174~175~176~177 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL