The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Scientists agree on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (191 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10..17..24..31..38~39~40~41~42..69..95..121..147..173..175~176~177 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The Rockefeller & Co plan is a roaring success anyway and will be complete by the end of this century. For those who survive the reign of terror it will be a wonderful world: No more traffic jams. No more oil, food and water shortages. No more people than we need.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The problem is without a goal we have no way to achieve it. This leads to people exaggerating for effect. Why has nobody answered why it is ok to do so?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
The goal is to reduce carbon emissions as much as possible. When you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Absolutely. I think the goal should be more geared to development of new energy forms. In my view "fracking" or whatever that is called is simply perpetuating the OLD form and not progress. I think renewable energy is going to be the wave of the future, or at least SHOULD be!

AND what works nice is as we DO develop these things, the carbon emissions get reduced by default.

The ONLY point we may disagree upon is simply what the role of our government is in the equation. I happen to believe if they just get out of the way it would be quicker. But I am glad to see it put in non doomsday terms so we can see more of the truth, and more where agreement can be found!

I think this would take far fewer pages if we started where we agree, and concentrated on that as opposed to where everyone disagrees.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Why do they have no goal?

THE NATIONAL POLICE GAZETTE 1902

THEY HAVE A SHELL GAME

The boys at Block Island are learning a new game called "curiosity" which was invented by a clever girl, who needed a little extra spending money. It's a great game, and all the girls are playing it now, and new arrivals who may develjp Into victims are eagerly watched for. It is an absurdly simple game. A ring is drawn on the sand and then clam shells are pitched at It; that'H all. The girls are pitching eagerly until a man comes along.

"Do you want to play? '' they ask.

"Certainly! What is it? " is the invariable reasponce.

"Curiosity. Take five clam shells and throw them
at the ring."

"Well, what's the game ? What do you have to do?"
"Well, you throw the shells and well show you.
You can't learn all at once you know."

So he takes his shells and starts in. He throws one and it misses the ring altogether. .

"One dollar, please," says the pretiest girl of the lot.

"What for?"

"Why, you've missed the ring."

So he forks over a brand new simoleon and starts in for the second throw. He measures the distance-very carefully, and then lets go. The clam shell drops on the sand in the exact centre of the ring.

"Twodollars, please." This from the same pretty
girl, who is treasurer of the bandits.

"What for I went in the ring!"

"Of course you did, and there's where you lose two dollars.”

"Well, this is a great game. I can't win, can I?

"Certainly not, but you gratify your curiosity, and one thing more. If you don't want to throw the three shells you have left you will have to pay $3 for the privilege of holding them."

Great game, isn't it? What do think of it?

There's no possible chance for a man as usual.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The alarmists are no longer the ones who say “warming” but are now the ones who say “change”.

In times of yore they were the Knights of Nee.

ARTHUR: O, Knights of Nee, we have brought you your shrubbery. May we
go now?
HEAD KNIGHT: It is a good shrubbery. I like the laurels particularly.
But there is one small problem.
ARTHUR: What is that?
HEAD KNIGHT: We are now... no longer the Knights Who Say Nee.
RANDOM: Nee!
HEAD KNIGHT: Shh shh. We are now the Knights Who Say Ecky-ecky-ecky-
ecky-pikang-zoom-boing-mumble-mumble.
RANDOM: Nee!
HEAD KNIGHT: Therefore, we must give you a test.
ARTHUR: What is this test, O Knights of-- Knights Who 'Til Recently
Said Nee?
HEAD KNIGHT: Firstly, you must find... another shrubbery!
[dramatic chord]
ARTHUR: Not another shrubbery!
HEAD KNIGHT: Then, when you have found the shrubbery, you must place
it here beside this shrubbery, only slightly higher so you get a
two-level effect with a little path running down the middle.
RANDOM: A path! A path! Nee!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTQfGd3G6dg

Tommy
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
ROGER: Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say 'ni' at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress at this period in history.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think it may be more productive to talk about that movie than the subject of this thread. Thanks Destiny!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
And what is the first thing to do when you are not in a hole?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a97cOa2Sy9A

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
...As of April 20, the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere was 401.17 ppm. That figure is based on readings from the Mauna Loa Observatory in Hawaii. The scientists who monitor atmospheric carbon dioxide levels expect that levels will stay above 400 ppm until late June or July.

Tans said that the level of CO2 in the atmosphere is now increasing at a rate that is at least 100 times faster than it has been at any time since record-keeping began. At some point next year or the year after, based on current rates, carbon dioxide levels will rise above 400 ppm and will not be likely to fall below that mark again.

The amount of carbon dioxide that gets naturally absorbed from the atmosphere varies according to the time of year, said Tans. During late spring and early summer in the northern hemisphere, trees and plants take in more carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. But as emissions generated by human activities rise, those cycles can no longer offset them. "We are basically overwhelming natural uptake processes," said Tans.

The late Charles David Keeling, a renowned scientist affiliated with the University of California, San Diego, began keeping daily measurements of atmospheric carbon at Mauna Loa in 1958. The record showing the increasing carbon levels at the observatory is today known as the "Keeling Curve." His son, Ralph Keeling, is now the director of the CO2 program at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography at UC-San Diego and has continued to record those levels since his father's death in 2005.

The younger Keeling says the importance of the 400 ppm figure is largely psychological. While there isn't a substantial difference between the impacts of 395 ppm and 405 ppm, crossing that threshold makes it impossible to ignore that something serious is happening.

"When you focus on the fact that it's moving through thresholds like that, you get an appreciation for how it's actually changing," said Keeling. "It's a wake-up call about how much we've already changed the atmosphere."

"I think people accept the reality that CO2 is rising, but they don't have a grasp of what it means quantitatively," he continued. "I hope people remember this moment so that when the hear the carbon dioxide levels are 420 parts per million in a matter of years, they'll say, 'I remember when it was 400.'"

Based on current trends, 420 ppm probably isn't too far off. Currently, carbon dioxide levels are increasing by about 2 parts per million per year. And few countries have given any indication that they plan to cut emissions in the near future -- at least, not enough to affect the trajectory the planet is on.

"The momentum we're seeing right now, going upwards, I think is going to easily carry us through 450 parts per million," said Keeling. "And then I would say even stabilizing before 500 parts per million is probably not going to be very easy."

Bill McKibben, an author and co-founder of the group 350.org, criticized the U.S. government for not doing more to curb emissions. His group draws its name from 350 parts per million -- the level that some scientists have said is the maximum allowable for maintaining ecosystems and the human systems that depend on them...

Complete article with illustrative graph at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/22......844.html
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
If you are a devout believer in Catastrophic Anthropogenic Global Warming then will you go heaven or hell?

Tommy
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
As our reward for destroying the world economy by raising false alarms of imminent climatic disaster, the Rothschilds and Rockefellers have promised us somewhere special to live afterwards.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
China?

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
A relevant, but somewhat long article. The comments are interesting as well.

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2014/04/22-3
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Excellent article, landmark, and right on point.

We have a serious problem and it's starting to look like we'll do nothing about it. I pity the future generations who will be severely affected by those who choose to ignore and deny what unregulated consumerism and capitalism is doing to the planet.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
What are the communist dreams?

Tommy
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2014, tommy wrote:
What are the communist dreams?

Maybe a healthy planet that supports life and biodiversity? If that's not a capitalist dream as well, it should be. Capitalism will have a very short and insignificant run without it.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes maybe kill most all of the people. No man no problem.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Republican does full reversal on climate change after doing some actual research:

Quote:
Rep. Michael Grimm (R-N.Y.) appears to have completely reversed his views on climate change as he fights to be reelected to a district hit hard by Hurricane Sandy.

Grimm tells MSNBC's Chris Hayes that his views have evolved in an excerpt from Showtime's “Years of Living Dangerously” series:

CHRIS HAYES: Last time you and I spoke, you said the jury was still out on climate science. Do you still feel that way?

Michael GRIMM: After speaking with Bob Inglis, it made me do some of my own research, you know, I looked at some of the stuff that he sent over, my staff looked at. But the mass majority of respected scientists say that it’s conclusive, the evidence is clear. So I don't think the jury is out.

CHRIS HAYES: The basic story of -- we’re putting carbon in the atmosphere, the planet’s getting warmer, that’s gonna make the sea levels rise -- like, the basic story of that, you pretty much agree with, right?

Michael GRIMM: Sure, I mean there’s no question that, um, you know, the oceans have risen, right? And the climate change part is, is a real part of it. The problem that we're gonna have right now -- there's no oxygen left in the room in Washington for another big debate, that’s the reality.

Grimm's comments to Hayes come just four years after he said at a candidate debate that "the jury is obviously still out" in response to a question about whether he believed climate change is "real."

full article at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/25......politics
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The science of anthropogenic global warming is settled, and has been for decades. Just not the way the AGW alarmists would have you believe.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2014/04/g......nce.html

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Scientists agree on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (191 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10..17..24..31..38~39~40~41~42..69..95..121..147..173..175~176~177 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL