The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » 21st Century Prediction ***NEW APP*** (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..12~13~14 [Next]
emran
View Profile
New user
NYC
32 Posts

Profile of emran
Downloading now! sounds great!!
magic1178
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of magic1178
Very excited about this ,

downloading now as well!

I was told by the creator of "Email Wizard " I used that APP more than any single user before it was taken down,
so again I am very excited about this ,

I will post a review as soon as I have a chance to peruse this.
cheers
Derek
Derek Johnston
Phil J.
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of Phil J.
First I'd like to say what a great trick this is. However, thing's don't work as they should.
Downloaded this on Monday. I've been working on this ever since. Tonight I thought I'd try it out on a live audience (a group of friends). I'm not sure went wrong but it was a disaster. On the first three attempts the email showed up on my friends phone but the app showed it was still loading. I was left in limbo waiting for the home screen to appear. It never did. On the fourth attempt it went through and everything worked as it should. By then the damage had been done. This isn't a trick I can use as it just isn't reliable enough.
You were born original... Don't die a copy Smile
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Very sorry to hear that, Phil. This is something that I've not seen or heard about before now. The only real variable at play is in the network itself. The reliability of the network connection at any point in time could explain, at least in part, the problems that you're seeing.

Another possibility is that if you're using Wi-Fi, there could be additional security measures in place, i.e. various types of firewalls that could introduce propagation delay that could interfere with the proper behavior of the app.

In your specific case, once the email is sent from the web service, it sends a notification back to the phone that the email went out and then the home screen appears. If, for whatever reason, the phone fails to receive that notification, then it won't proceed to the next step.

In any event, I apologize for the position you were put in during performance and can look to see if there is some way we can mitigate this from happening. Without being able to replicate it, though, it might prove difficult, but we'll give it a try.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
emran
View Profile
New user
NYC
32 Posts

Profile of emran
Is the server down? I am getting istock unsuccessful when I try sending a email.

I tried to add a message to the custom message section. I added My usually signature. Name, cell, website & slogan. Then when I tried sending a demo message it said: Istock Unavailable.

So I changed it back to a very short message such as:

Best always,
Em

..and now it works. is there a limit to the custom message?
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1146 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
I also still haven't been able to get it to work since the update. I deleted, reinstalled etc. I wish I had more time to test various scenarios and figure out the problem.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
I'll try to reproduce the issue with a long message in the custom message field. Also, what iOS version are you guys using? And Dynamix, are you triple tapping or using the timeout method to upload your text? When you updated to version 1.1 it may have reset to the default triple-tap.

B2B Magazine Test!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Worked through the problem with emran and found that if you use an ampersand character ( & ) in the message body then the upload will fail. This will be fixed for the next release and should be of minimal impact moving forward. Just wanted to provide the update here.

B2B Magazine Test!

emran
View Profile
New user
NYC
32 Posts

Profile of emran
Works like a charm! FYI This app kills!

I actually got a over the phone gig with this app.
I asked the lady who was going to decide to book me or not if I can try a little demonstration over the phone. She said if I can read her mind over the phone you are hired! My usual go to for closing someone over the phone is a little routine by Joshua Quinn from his book Paralies but I decided to try 21st century prediction.

Sent them the email. They checked to see if they received it but I told them do not open. I put them through a little story about them entering a book store. Going down any Isle to any section. Picking up any book and choosing any word from any page. The routine involve a little bit more showmanship than I can show her but eventually they settled on the word "WORK". When a profession lady head of the HR department says HOLY SH*T I take that as a good sign. Thanks Steven!
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1146 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Got it to work!!!

In my haste of reinstalling I didn't place a critical field in the email. Back to working now! THANKS STEVEN!!!
emran
View Profile
New user
NYC
32 Posts

Profile of emran
Two things. Is it possible to get the original writing area photo that comes with the app. I can revert back to it. Also is there any possible way if I email a client the prediction that they can reply to to my email in stead of the noreply email?
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1146 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Great points above.

Also, I performed this last night and the email went to the person's junk folder. He is a friend so we were both confused since he gets emails from that address (supposedly) all the time. Kind of gave away that something of a technical nature was going on.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Great to hear the previous issues have been resolved.

And congrats on getting the gig, emran! That's awesome! Sounds like you got the gig because you put the time into developing a well thought out routine, but I'll graciously accept the thanks regardless.

I'll dig up the default picture and post it here soon. In the meantime if you uninstall/reinstall the app you should be reset with the default photo.

Now for the final issue, the email itself. iOS APIs don't allow an app to invisibly send an email on a user's behalf. For that you need to use an SMTP service, which is what the app currently uses. To keep things as simple as possible we're using a default SMTP service account which sends email on behalf of whatever mail account you specify in the options page. Depending on the device and mail client of the recipient, the 'reply to' address will either be the service account address or the address you type into the settings. That also accounts for DynaMix's experience.

The only solution is for the performer to enter their SMTP server, username and mail password into the application. Only then can the mail service send the mail message as the specified user and bypass the service account proxy. The question then becomes is this something that performers would be willing to provide to the application? If so, then I can add this is into the next release. But that's for you guys to decide.

Just to clarify to those without the app, the app is currently working fine. We are just discussing a specific enhancement that may be of benefit in the situations outlined above.

Congrats, again, emran. Well done.

B2B Magazine Test!

emran
View Profile
New user
NYC
32 Posts

Profile of emran
Yes the APP is working 100000% amazing! I am surprised this thread isn't pages long!! GET THIS APP!!!!!

Thanks!! I would totally love to see a STMP in the in the upgrade!! That would be killer.

Also it would be cool to somehow have a copy of the prediction photo stored in your own photo album . This would be great just in case something happens where your reception drops or the spectators signal is bad. You can always show a copy of the photo prediction you took earlier. I usually say I am going to send you a photo attachment I took earlier today. If you really did send it from you Iphone it would be in the photo album haha. Hey you never know maybe you will one day get a spectator who would actually want to check your album lol. Good to be prepared!

Just some thoughts!
Phil J.
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of Phil J.
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2014, Steven Keyl wrote:
Very sorry to hear that, Phil. This is something that I've not seen or heard about before now. The only real variable at play is in the network itself. The reliability of the network connection at any point in time could explain, at least in part, the problems that you're seeing.

Another possibility is that if you're using Wi-Fi, there could be additional security measures in place, i.e. various types of firewalls that could introduce propagation delay that could interfere with the proper behavior of the app.

In your specific case, once the email is sent from the web service, it sends a notification back to the phone that the email went out and then the home screen appears. If, for whatever reason, the phone fails to receive that notification, then it won't proceed to the next step.

In any event, I apologize for the position you were put in during performance and can look to see if there is some way we can mitigate this from happening. Without being able to replicate it, though, it might prove difficult, but we'll give it a try.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I know the venue I was in has a public Wi-Fi hotspot that my phone logs into automatically. I'll be going there again tonight so I'll retry it with the Wi-Fi disabled.

Next, is there anyway of sending emails to more than one person for the same prediction?
Phil J.
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of Phil J.
Ok, I've been back to the venue that caused the problem before and tried it again. The result was brilliant and I got a booking out of it by predicting tonight's lottery result for someone in Manchester, that's 110 miles away!!
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Emran, storing the image in the photo album is one of those obviously great ideas that didn't even occur to me! You're right in that it will be helpful if someone does check to see if you actually have that image AND it will help in situations where the message wasn't received or something else goes wrong on the spectator's phone, you still have the "proof". Great idea, and it's on the list for the next update.

Awesome, Phil! Glad it worked out for you this time and you got booked to boot! Congrats, man. To answer your question, no you can only send emails to one person at a time, but I'll put multiple recipients on the update list. In certain situations I can see how that would be of value.

B2B Magazine Test!

Phil J.
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of Phil J.
Being able to do it to more than one person would have been a real bonus last night as I was doing it to people on Facebook. As it was I had to do it to just one person and then they posted a screen grab of the result.

Another suggestion if I may. Would it be possible to have a blank screen to write on where you can actually see what you've written? I'm thinking that having that on the accomplices phone would make for more detailed predictions as well as making it easier.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Phil, I've already got a tracing option in the update pipeline. Just trying to figure out how many options to include, i.e. opacity and color as options. As far as a blank screen, that's up to the user (or confederate). Just set the fake springboard screen to a solid background and for the writer, it will be a blank screen. Work has already started on the next update so hopefully we can get all of these changes added.

B2B Magazine Test!

gvinson
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of gvinson
Great App! I am having a ton of fun with this. One feature I would like to see added is the ability to enter multiple email addresses or a group email. As an effect, I want to sit in a meeting room full of about 6 people (work meeting) and be able to send one email that would have two or three predictions in the email for 2 or 3 of the people in the meeting and send this email to all of the people in the meeting. This would be a great effect! Thanks again for this app.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » 21st Century Prediction ***NEW APP*** (26 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL