The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Cardshark (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Having recently purchased this book, I would like to know what are people's favorite effects from the book Cardshark by Darwin Ortiz is. I find the book very very good, and I like his thinking in this volume and in his Scams and Fantasies book. What are some of the thoughts on this book? I really like the way he teaches many hard to find sleights. I actually thought the book would be a lot better than Scams because of the hype on the Café so I guess I was slightly disappointed in that regard. Otherwise, an excellent book and one worth reading multiple times.
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Study everything... It is worth it.

Lee
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
All the presentational showpieces are great. I use or have used all of the from time to time. My personal favourite is still Ortiz handling on the gambler vs magician trick "The Showdown". It is absolutely killer and as Ortiz says it is the strongest trick in his repertuar.
AndrewG
View Profile
Regular user
UK
101 Posts

Profile of AndrewG
To all who have looked at Cardshark and Scams.. - which do you think is better from the magical effect point of view? (the gambling routines are beyond my technical skill)

Does anyone know ifCardshark will be re-printed, and when?

Best
Andrew
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
I don't know which one of Darwin's Card books is better, but I sure know that all of them are among the very best card magic books you can read und study. Period.
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

I thought cardshark was better.
Mel Toyer
View Profile
Loyal user
Luton, England
216 Posts

Profile of Mel Toyer
Personally I think that 'At the card table' is the best of Darwins books. I bought this book after watching Ricky Jay perform the 'Greek Poker' effect on T.V.

If you can commit yourself entirely to practising and studying his effects and methods you will always be one step ahead of the rest.

P.S. Once I bought 'At the card table' I had plans to show the Greek Poker effect to some friends that night, six months later I was still practising his four part riffle stack that was needed to perform the effect. In Darwins own words this move seems impossible to learn, got back to the book which then explains that you will now need to perform a two part riffle stack which Darwin then explains is 100 times MORE impossible to learn.

Practise and study and you will be safe in the knowledge that you are performing sleights and effects that not many people can do.
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
Anybody know where I can get this book?
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

I got mine off of ebay, though I think they are very rare even there. best bet will probably to look out for them on http://www.joyalstack.com
Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

Profile of Craig Krisulevicz
Mel Toyer,

All I have to say is nice post.
Who is John Galt?
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Hitchcock Aces. This has been for me the strongest ace assembly bar none, without having to ring in duplicates or head into gaff waters.
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
693 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
Can't possibly choose just one. My choices are:

The Psychotronic Card
Harry In Your Pocket
The Marker

Iain.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Cardshark (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL