The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Music for Magicians? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

HighVolt29
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of HighVolt29
Hi. I have both a close up show and a stage show. I've seen magicians whose close up show has music in the background (usually slow meditation music) And then comes my stage show which I would like some more upbeat music. I've been looking for the right music for some time now but I haven't come across anything that I like. If anyone has any good recommendations on some CD's they like I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7114 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Johnny Clegg & Savuka is one I've seen used in the past and works well (audience claps along with the music)...

Enya is good for more ethereal moods...

In some cases you could use Kitarro, or similar...more jazzy stuff, try Gato Barbieri...

OK...that's just a sample...in fact (Help me out, here, guys...) there IS a CD for sale somewhere...it's music made for magicians and (I think) it's authorized for use in public (?)...

Hope this helps!

Doug
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
There are Several CD's from Opus 1 Productions. There are several by Bill White (White Magic). A great CD that has music as well as tools to help make your current music better, richer, fuller...is by the late Gary Ouellet. It's called Designer Textures for Magcians. It has tons of drones, soundscapes, hits and effects to choose from. If you have seen World's Greatest Magic, you have heard what is on this CD and what can be done with it. It is more expensive than the others, it runs around $100, but also available is a great tutorial on mixing music called Music for Magician. It may be purchased at Camirand Magic in Canada

http://www.opus1productions.com/
http://www.billwhitemusic.com/
http://www.camirandmagic.com/

Hope that helps.
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
You could develop your own. You may not be a musician, but there are very decent programs that aid you in the creation of music. Acid Pro is a great example of such a program.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2004-01-02 18:41, Astinus wrote:
You could develop your own. You may not be a musician, but there are very decent programs that aid you in the creation of music. Acid Pro is a great example of such a program.

This is true. And for people who do not want to pay the piper (so to speak) this is a workable option.

Still, studios like mine offer custom music cues with added benefits some performers are willing to pay for.

Different strokes for different folks, I always say.

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
You could hire me to compose
something specific for your show.

Links to sounds samples & complete audio
streaming available via website.
http://www.mai-ling.net
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Meltdown
View Profile
New user
Nuneaton, Warwickshire - UK
5 Posts

Profile of Meltdown
With a stage presentation, you need music that fits what you are doing i.e. actions and not just knuckle busting. A great source of music is films because film music is specifically written for what is happening on screen, (with the possible esception of the soundtrack), this may include some show music. Most other music is just for listening to.

Perhaps something from a Bond film or if a gentler act is what you are after then er... something gentler Smile

I hope this sparks a few ideas.

Cheers - Melty
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
When all else fails, do what us film students do:

Royalty free music!!

Lets say U2 write and record a new song. There are 3 copyright licences that apply to that song. One belongs to the author of the lyrics, one belongs to the author of the music, and one belongs to whomever owns the actual recording of the song (generally the record company). So, to be able to use this song legally in your performance or video or whatever, you must get permission from those three sources.

Royalty free music is produced by professional musicians who know that Bono and The Edge will never call us poor, struggling artists back no matter how many times we leave messages with their management asking for permission to use 'With Or Without You' in our short films or stage shows. These musicians sell their music to "royalty free music companies", who produce CD's containing the music, and sell them on to us. You could probably buy a decent one for $50 US. I'm guessing. I live in Australia. When you buy one of these CD's, you are also buying permission to use the music contained on it however you see fit.

Years ago, it was generally all wedding music and bad disco 80's tracks, but with people now having the ability to produce professional quality music on their home PC, there's a tonne of really good, modern music available, whether it be a Spanish guitar track or a funky techno beat.

Search for royalty free music in Google or whatever search engine you prefer and you should get some decent results. Most of the websites have samples of their music online.

Good luck buddy!

Cheers,

Chris
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I use Bill Whites' stuff and it's good
Daniel Faith
HighVolt29
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of HighVolt29
Thank you all for the advice!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Music for Magicians? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL