The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » My Latest- How To Memorize A Shuffled Deck In Under A Minute (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
West Bloomfield, Michigan
690 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On 2014-01-24 00:52, Jamie D. Grant wrote:
Hiya Gang!

It is with crazy excitement that I get to tell you that I'll be speaking at this year's Magic-Con . It's a huge honour and I'm absolutely thrilled. I mean, check out my fellow speakers! Crazy!

I'll be presenting something I've been working on for the last 30 years- my memory work (I bought my first memory book when I was 9 years old!). Specifically, how to memorize the order of a shuffled deck in under 1 minute. While this has specific task has been around for a long time (re: World Memory Championships since 1991 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Memory_Championships and techniques abound, some as recent as 2013 http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/201......seconds/ ) I have some exciting new ideas that I'm super pumped to share!

So, I have a couple of questions for anyone who's interested!

1) Does this even interest you?
2) What concerns would you have? Applications? Techniques? Etc.
3) If attending, would you pay for lecture notes? My talk is obviously part of the registration and people can write down, take pictures, or ask me anything at all- but I'm thinking of printing up everything anyways just to make it easier. Also, if I do them correctly, I'd be able to offer them up to my magic community properly. So many "notes" isn't the right phrase. How about "Short Book"?

I think I've got all my crediting and references in order- so there's not much to worry about there. And I truly think I've got something new to offer, as well. I'll be publishing my entire PAO (Person/Action/Object) list - which is one of the hardest things to create. I've also got some new ground on the Loki system which I have never seen done before - pertaining to also knowing not only the order of the cards, but each one's numbered location.

There you have it! Hopefully this thread will, as with everything I've ever released, offer up my methods for releasing an effect and making sure all my "t"s are crossed and "i"s are dotted!

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Your pal,

jamie

1) Very interested.
2) Not concerned about this stuff. Happy to figure out on own.
3) Won't be attending, so would be interested in purchasing separately.
Dr Art
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Dr Art
Can’t attend the convention so I would be interested in the notes. I don’t do much card magic, but there are certain card skills that offer a lot of bang for the effort and are worth learning. This is one of them.

It ain’t your uncle’s pick a card trick. It’s a demonstration of super human skill and it’s not a trick. It might be a little boring, but so is holding your breath underwater for ten minutes. It does stack the amazement the longer it goes on.

Plus it has the redeeming feature of keeping the mind agile and preventing senility from knocking on your door as an uninvited guest.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
That's quite an apostrophe you have there, Dr Art.
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
Hi Jamie.

1) Does this even interest you?

Absolutely, since nothing I've tried before has worked.

2) What concerns would you have? Applications? Techniques? Etc.

That it's the same techniques that has not worked for me before Smile

3) If attending, would you pay for lecture notes?

I would certainly pay for lecture notes if I did NOT attend Smile

It sounds really good, that you have found out new methods, I kind
of collect memory books, and I also invent new memory methods.
Memorising cards has not been that interesting to me since I tend
to focus on things that can help me with practical things, like
learning a language faster or memorising facts, but it would be
really nice if I could memorise a deck of cards at ALL, in any time.
I take it though, that anyone can memorise it in 1 minute with your
method, and not only the top few genetically gifted who really
train and train? Also, I hope that your findings have use for
memorising other stuff too, like words in foreign languages and facts.
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Interesting Jamie! Would also be interested by these notes Smile

But here is a side question I am sometimes asking myself: what would be the point of memorizing a deck for real, as we have several great methods, as magicians, to give the impression that we can memorize an entire shuffled deck ?
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Dorian,

I am already planning a routine, based on the ability to memorize the entire deck. In the routine, I would borrow a deck, let the spectator shuffle it, and then have him or her put each card face up to create one pile. I would let him or her know that we BOTH will see the order and location of cards, so none of us will have an unfair advantage. Then, we will play poker (or blackjack, or...you get the idea). The idea is to win each time. The spectator will certainly think of this as real magic, because well...in fact, it is! No deck switches to worry about, no peeking, no marked cards (since the deck was borrowed)---simply amazing memory demo, with a real-world (gambling) application.

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On 2014-02-10 10:52, doriancaudal wrote:
Interesting Jamie! Would also be interested by these notes Smile

But here is a side question I am sometimes asking myself: what would be the point of memorizing a deck for real, as we have several great methods, as magicians, to give the impression that we can memorize an entire shuffled deck ?
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Hi Jamie

I'm interested in the notes.

Charlie
wilko7
View Profile
Regular user
UK
135 Posts

Profile of wilko7
I would definitely be interested in the notes.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Thanks, gang! I'm taking the plunge and writing this up properly- and am in the midst of creating an APP to help study, as well. I'm thinking of offering it as an ebook (for those that can't make Magic-Con) and am just trying to work out all the details. I'm super excited! I've never had an ebook (or an APP), so this is all fairly new. I wonder if there's some way for me to "package" them together? Has anyone ever bought an ebook that came with a free APP? Is that even possible, I wonder?

Quote:
On , Dr Art wrote:

Plus it has the redeeming feature of keeping the mind agile and preventing senility from knocking on your door as an uninvited guest.

You know, as strange as this is, it's actually the thing I love most about this. Of course it will have great magic applications, but I find that I just love working and practicing. It's like having an entire world (full of characters, actions, and stories) in your pocket.

I've also picked a name. "Scenic 52"!

These are great days,

jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1177 Posts

Profile of paperinick
[quote]Has anyone ever bought an ebook that came with a free APP?
[quote]The opposite should be much easier, i.e. bundling an e-book within an App....
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I am very interested in this Jamie. Unfortunately I cannot attend so I am hopeful that your notes will be available for purchase.

And why does Steve Valentine look like a young Kevin Costner in that photo? Smile
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2413 Posts

Heya Gang!

Well, it's here! I'm in the process of switching over my site to:

www.m-agic.com

and thought releasing "Scenic 52" a week early would be a great way to celebrate! So if you're looking for something to do this weekend, please feel free to look around and tell me what you think!

Your pal,

jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Any reviews on this? Would love to hear positive stories on magicians using this. Thanks!

Regards,
Mike
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
I have pressed the button, as I have not been disappointed by Jamie's stuff and will report back.
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
I would also be interested to see a review of this one. Definitely peaked my interest...
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2413 Posts

Thanks, guys!! I would definitely love to hear everyone's thoughts! I've been so busy lately, that I haven't been on the Café as much as I normally am; but I should be back to normal soon!

And something to remember for "Scenic 52" is that this ISN'T for someone looking to learn a new trick in 1 day. It'll take work, practice, and dedication but, if you're like me, I find it really enjoyable. I'm super curious if others do, as well!

Your pal,

jamie
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Jamie, I think this will be your best creation yet, because it is real magic---no dual reality, no false cuts, no gimmicks---just an honest demonstration of real (and seemingly, supernatural) memory. Jamie, do you do this currently, or are you still practicing? If you are doing this, is it possible to post a demonstration? Would love to see this in action...and, of course, no need to worry about exposure, since the method is...well, all mental Smile

Regards,
Mike
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Right Mike,
Is it possible to see a demo of this, Jamie ? Or are you still practicing ?
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Those who have this, or Jamie, can you tell me (us) the link between Scenic 52 and Mnemonica ? I though it has nothing to do with each other, but I saw in the ad copy a mention to Mnemonica ? As I use another stack, I am still wondering if Scenic 52 is good for me... I hope so Smile
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Those of you who bought this, can you explain the link between Scenic 52 and Mnemonica ? Jamie told me that he uses the Mnemonica Stack as an insurance policy to help remember the PAO, but I was wondering if the method is stack dependent or independent.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » My Latest- How To Memorize A Shuffled Deck In Under A Minute (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL