The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » School Assemblies (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I only remember playing a few colleges for an assembly bureau. (I have booked a number of colleges independently.) There is no principal to contact! Colleges have student committees who arrange "concerts" and other affairs.

I recall North Dakota State University in Fargo. They had an "all nighter". I was booked to do close up! They "gave" me a table in an open area (the "forum"). The committee had a round table and about 10 chairs around it. Ten students sat and I did an opening. I looked up and there was about20 kids standing behind the chairs. I did the second bit, looked up and about 20 more were standing on chairs behind the first 20 standees! It was obvious that we had to change plans. I got my contact person, and suggested that I stroll. He agreed and that's what I did for about four hours!

The bureau "salesmen" didn't normally call on colleges. The college committees would contact our office and the whole thing was handled by phone and mail. I'm sure that the bureau manager would have used the term "program".

I remember an unusual booking in a college in Montana. The college was having some sort of "family day". Families came,apparently to "check out" the school. Many parents brought young children. I was "family entertainment". It was an exceptionally friendly group. If only they were all that easy!
easy!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
While I don't know anything about the site mentioned in the first post I can tell you that any booking agency today for school assemblies will be a tuff cookie to crack!
schools today are spending less in some ways but still buying assemblies. they will pay the price for a top quality assembly and will shy away from anything that screams "magic show" meaning just a show.

gone are the days of taking your kids show and throwing in a few educational pointers or feel good comments.

you need a show that has a beginning middle and ending. it must I repeat it must have great educational content. it must be relevant to the curriculum schools are using today.

for me I am currently on a year long 45 state national tour. we just finished 140 shows in 17 states in the last 15 weeks! now on the east coast. just left Massachusetts and now in NY.

my show runs 50 minutes start to finish and includes several grand illusions.

but you were talking about agencies and my comment would be there are not many out there but they are out there.
I would recommend before looking into an agency that you develop a school show and then push it yourself for a while get it worked out and timed out to be what you want it to be.

and one thing you need to keep in mind. most agencies want you to travel every where. meaning all across the country. some times long term sometimes for a month or two. you need to be prepared to travel. cost of how you travel, where you sleep, what and where you will eat. then you have to factor in the expense of traveling. living on the road aint cheap. you also need to factor in set up time, tear down time, travel time to the next show as most days you will need to do 2 shows some times 3 in one day. then you have to make sure your show works in every imaginable situation. from gym floors to beautiful stages to all purpose rooms to tiny tiny library.

my assistant and I travel in a 40' bus with 14' trailer in tow. were 60' long!
we have another 200 shows to go and loving every minute of it. I should say my current assistant for this tour is my beautiful daughter tessa. she is 15 and an accomplished magician in her own rights!

ok got to go were parked here now at the school in bellport NY and getting ready to watch a movie on the big screen here in the bus. woo hoo.

if you have any questions I would be happy to answer. I think between me and Dick we have like over 50 years of school assemblies as I have been doing them for about 18 years myself. LOL

ok my daughter is calling me I got to go now!!!

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Sam, you planning to perform in Michigan?
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Sam - where else are you going in NY?
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Dynamike we finished the west coast and mid west not sure were getting to michigan

charlie were all over NY from flushing to queens village to brooklyn
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
If you do come to Michigan, please let me know. I will be glad to meet you.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Sam - are you traveling in upstate NY, such as Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse? Have you had time to do sight seeing along the way, or are shows dominating your time? What has been your best/worst surprise about your tour so far? Good luck getting around NYC with a 60' rig.
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
Quote:
On 2014-01-29 20:15, TomBoleware wrote:
Maybe he was the Masked Magician.

I thought he was this guy:
http://youtu.be/AoFfLvy3quA?t=1m35s

Bazinga!
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Charlie. Nothing that far north that I'm a aware of. We did the Bronx and flushing ny already. And New Hampshire
Yes lots of time for sight seeing well maybe I should not say lots of time but yes we have had some awesome time to sight see
The mid west and west coast was awesome. From hiking in the hills of New Mexico to having David Copperfield invite us back stage in Vegas to taking my daughter to the magic castle to see some shows. We got hang out in Beverly Hills and walk rodeo drive and lots of other fun stuff. A life time of memories.

I even got to hang out with howie when I was in Cali! That was fun.

As for the worse thing I think having mechanical issues while on the road have been the worse. Once we ended up having to rent a uhaul to drive 3 hours to a show and then drive all the way back to get my rig the. Drive back the same 3 hours as we had 2 more shows in that town the next day. That was a lot of work and not fun.

But the good has out weighed the bad in so many ways.
You can follow me on face book if you want.

Well got to go 3 shows tomorrow so need some sleep.

Sam
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yes! (mechanicalproblems with vehiclesl!!!!!!!!and personal physical problems!!!!!!!!

Before hitting the road each season, I always had myself (dentist optometrist,primary care doctor,etc., "checked out"! I had spare glasses, dentures, ETC.) ALSO had the vehicle checked out. Even with all that, problems could develop.

Fuel pumps,tire blowouts, ignition systems, clogged fuel filters, brakes, furnace in RV, ETC.. Neil Foster and I were jackpotting over coffee, and we both agreed that DOING THE PROGRAM, was the least of the "challenges". The #1 "challenge" was keeping the show on the road--making the dates.

Personal health demanded REST. Before the days of FLU shots, I had (on the road) flu two different times, and pneumonia once. Even with pre-tour check ups, I had a tooth problem in the final week of a tour in North Dakota. I had to arrange for a friend to finish the last ten days. In 2007, I hit a deer in rural Illinois. ($6,000 damage to a new pick up that pulled my 5th wheel) No rental cars available. I lost a week.

See you down the road!

Dick Oslund
Sneaky, underhanded,devious and surreptitious itinerant mountebanc!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7419 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Making the dates is a big one. I think it was Gene Gordon who worked California in the early days who made all the dates on an assembly tour. He was the first guy to do so and the bureau chief was shocked expecting him to blow off several as other had done.

Dick, sometimes you even had to help shovel out a driveway to get a bed for night Smile.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
I have only missed one date out of 150 shows so far. It was due to temps being negative 28 and gumming up my diesel fuel.
Not to mention my agent not giving us proper travel time. I was so bummed. If we had have the proper travel time I could have figured out a so.ution and gotten there. We were literally 15. Minutes from the school Ugh. But life happens.

We enjoy the traveling and I love getting to entertain all these kids and inspire them too

Sam
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » School Assemblies (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL