The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » This may be a little crass... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jack H
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Jack H
I've been putting together a kids show and had (in my opinion) a great idea for a funny way to present a levatation.
The premise is that the magician eats some brussel sprouts and then under his own propulsion is able to hover a few inches above the ground. (a one-off joke)
HOWEVER... thought it might be wise to get the opinions of other magicians/parents and determine if 'fart humour' is acceptable at a show?
Obviously kids love it but could parents be repulsed?
Could this lead to disaster and loss of control over the kids?
Would it be funnier to levitate the birthday child in this way or could that lead to bullying?

I think it's always worth asking these type of questions when dealing with children and parents.
tom hughes
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of tom hughes
If in doubt... leave it out.
http://www.ashevillemagic.com
http://www.themagictomshow.com
magician/magic show in asheville w.n.c.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
With a gezillion possible presentationsm why would you want to risk alienating the client (AND, POTENTIAL CLIENTS!) by this premise?????

There was a big LONG thread on this in one of the fora a year ago, Some thought that flatulence was wonderful comedy. De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum!!!***

***that means: Concerning tastes we cannot argue.

If you are foolish enough to use this, I feel sorry for you.

(signed) The voice of 69 years of experience.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
Some people may be able to pull it off without any backlash, but personally I would avoid taking a chance with it. Depending on the age of the kids, there may be some that wouldn't even understand the joke without getting into too much graphic explanation. I think that if you are looking for a little "safer" fart humor, making the fart sound (ie Whoopie Cushion, etc.)and then acting like you don't know what it was or who made the sound would be a less offensive way to work it. I don't think I would ever do that either (at least not on purpose!)

Unfortunately it seems like it is easier to offend some people than it used to be. Makes a kids' entertainer have to work harder to analyize their act to make sure nothing is misconstrued as inappropriate.
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
Yes, that was a long and quite heated thread, Dick.

Jack, you are never going to get consensus on that subject around here. So maybe consider this: When you're talking the parent on the phone, say, "Then I have this great trick where I eat some brussels sprouts and let go a big fart that propels me into air. The kids love it because ALL kids love fart jokes, and it promotes eating vegetables."

That way you will get THE definitive answer for your area instead of what a bunch of other magicians from a round the world say. And it will show you exactly how much money and the type of customers you will get with that routine. Then you'll never have to question how much money you can make, what class of client you're suited for, and you won't have to worry about other people outside that class will perceive you or if you are suited for them.

You can't lose, can you?

Bazinga!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
The fart trick usually goes by age. The younger magicians are most likely to use it. The older magicians are usually against it. Kid audiences will go with the flow. The parents in the audience will most likely go along with it only if no one is eating and if it creates a lot of laughs for the kids. At this moment I am on the edge. Several more years I will be totally against it.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
If the people on this board are divided over this issue, then you have to assume that the people who hire you will also be divided. Some won't have a problem with it, but others will have a problem. But take the responses by other magicians for what they are, evidence that a significant portion of the population will have a problem with it. The solution is simple; you have three options: one, don't do it; two, do it and offend a portion of your clients; three, ask the clients in advance. One additional note, when you ask in advance, those who would be offended will tell you and you can leave it out, but it will impact their perception of you and your show even though you left it out they will be less likely to recommend you and less likely to book you again. On the other hand, other clients will think it was funny and great. You just cant please everyone.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I've been raking my brain for the last few hours, thinking there must be at least one example. But, nope... not once in my 50 years in magic has a client or audience member ever said to me after the show, "I wish you had done some fart jokes. The kids really love them."
~michael baker
The Magic Company
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
Guys this poster has only made 2 posts whilst I can't be sure but I think this is a deliberately provoking post . It smells troll to me but I could be wrong phil
thekidsmagician
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol
118 Posts

Profile of thekidsmagician
My answer would be the same as Dick's (though with a bit less Latin).

But that is purely my personal preference, based on how I choose to do things given my personality and the type of clients I want to attract.

There are entertainers in my area who use this type of approach. Others in my area don't. Guess which of the two types of entertainer I refer people to if I can't do a gig?
Not because the other type is "wrong", it just doesn't fit in with the way I've chosen to position myself in my market.

Many clients book me because they know that I am completely clean - no innuendo, no fart jokes etc. Some clients book other entertainers because they prefer their approach. There's no right or wrong, just different clients with different preferences. If you know what your clients are okay with then go with that if you're comfortable with it.

- Mike
Children's entertainer in Bristol - making children look AMAZING! - www.thekidsmagician.com
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I would find fart jokes more acceptable than a levitation in a show. But that is just me.

Personally I would not do either, but again that is just me.
A Show By Joe
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Island
398 Posts

Profile of A Show By Joe
There is a difference between referencing something that could be mistaken for some gas (eg someone movimg a chair, and saying " Oh my, I am sooooo sorry' oh uh that was the chair), to telling kids tht you are going to eat something to make you pass so much gas, that you will rise. I don't think there is any place for the latter.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 14:10, pbj100 wrote:
Guys this poster has only made 2 posts whilst I can't be sure but I think this is a deliberately provoking post . It smells troll to me but I could be wrong phil


Possibly, but his one other post seems legitimate.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
You guys crack me up. The responses here are funnier than any fart joke.

Check out Potty the Pirate's Stinkey Winkey Rat (not to mention Potty's very name). This entire routine is about farting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5eiXNiUe......&list=UL

Personally, I wouldn't do it. But then, I am far more cultured and classy than most entertainers.

Quote:
On 2014-01-27 11:44, Robin4Kids wrote:
Unfortunately it seems like it is easier to offend some people than it used to be. Makes a kids' entertainer have to work harder to analyize their act to make sure nothing is misconstrued as inappropriate.


I see a different world than you. In the age of "Family Guy" , I think people find less things to be offensive. And that's what I find to be unfortunate. Even for the young, sex, alcohol, family dysfunction, violence and vulgar speech is all considered to be okay. The only thing that seems to offend people any more is if you say you believe in God, or that you expect people to be responsible.

Quote:
On 2014-01-27 12:20, Bazinga wrote:
When you're talking the parent on the phone, say, "Then I have this great trick where I eat some brussels sprouts and let go a big fart that propels me into air. The kids love it because ALL kids love fart jokes, and it promotes eating vegetables."



Now THAT'S funny!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 16:43, Starrpower wrote:


I see a different world than you. In the age of "Family Guy" , I think people find less things to be offensive. And that's what I find to be unfortunate. Even for the young, sex, alcohol, family dysfunction, violence and vulgar speech is all considered to be okay.


Sort of... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkDdH3DVKOA

;)
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 16:43, Starrpower wrote:
Now THAT'S funny!

;)
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 10:48, Jack H wrote:
I've been putting together a kids show and had (in my opinion) a great idea for a funny way to present a levatation.
The premise is that the magician eats some brussel sprouts and then under his own propulsion is able to hover a few inches above the ground. (a one-off joke)
HOWEVER... thought it might be wise to get the opinions of other magicians/parents and determine if 'fart humour' is acceptable at a show?
Obviously kids love it but could parents be repulsed?
Could this lead to disaster and loss of control over the kids?
Would it be funnier to levitate the birthday child in this way or could that lead to bullying?

I think it's always worth asking these type of questions when dealing with children and parents.






I completely disagree with "when in doubt leave it out".

The only time you should leave it out is when you .damn. well know you shouldn't do it.

Take chances. Do what you find funny.

Don't take chances, do the stuff that won't offend anyone and you'll end up with a boring show that entertains nobody.

Be bold!!!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I've seen one guy that used to make adult balloons for adults sitting at tables ( family parties) and he did a version a of multiplying dog doo for the kids.

Personally, I cringed when I've watched him do it but people were laughing and having a good time AND he was asked for his card & received tips!

Consider this: His usual audience was blue collar workers and not yacht owners. If I tried that stuff in the circles I work, it might be the last time. But when the audience is gambling and half-drunk at 1:00pm then those people are prime for just about anything.
Jack H
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Jack H
Some great responses and something to think hard about.
Thanks for your honest feedback guys.

As for Pbj100...
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 14:10, pbj100 wrote:
Guys this poster has only made 2 posts whilst I can't be sure but I think this is a deliberately provoking post . It smells troll to me but I could be wrong phil


Paranoia much?
;-)

We've all gotta start somewhere!
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
Hi,
If your looking for music while performing how about
Bob Dylan. "blowing in the wind "
Phil
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » This may be a little crass... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL