The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Seen any good movies lately? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Liked 12 yrs a Slave, Hunger Games, Blue Jasmine, The Square (ie Tahrir), 42 and more; but what got my attention more than others was when I rented "Searching for Sugarman". And what a surprise ending on that one! Lynn
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Searching for Sugarman is an amazing film for those that have never seen it. Incredible story.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
"The Book Thief" - very good, but I had to go to the bathroom around what I thought was near the end of the movie, but it kept not ending...and not ending...and not ending. I was pretty frustrated and uncomfortable by the time it DID end! Smile

"Dallas Buyers Club" - Wow. I had no idea what the focus of the movie was about. I thought it was going to be about some big wheeling oil or business tycoon in '80s Dallas who gets AIDS, and that the focus was going to be the business stuff/relationships - more typical 1980's Dallas stuff. Haha. Didn't know it was a true story either. Hadn't heard much about it (obviously) other than how Matthew Mc. had lost all this weight for the role. Learned a lot I didn't know about early efforts to treat HIV/AIDS, etc...

"We're the Millers" - probably set a Hollywood record for "how many times can you script the "F" word in a single movie. But it was absolutely hilarious.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
12 Years a Slave is the best movie I've seen in the past year. As I noted in another thread, it is, IMO, a film that should be shown in classrooms.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Lots of great recommendations. I'll have to check many of these out when they come to netflix.

Really interested in 12 Years A Slave and Invisible Woman.

I saw Searching For Sugarman. Liked it, it was really interesting.

I watched a very weird movie on netflix a few weeks ago- a documentary called Last Days Here. I'm an old metal fan from the 80s and the story is about a guy from an old metal band I'd never heard of- Pentagram. I'm pretty sure there was some swearing, but don't really remember much if there was. And there's some drug use. But the movie- this guy's LIFE- was tragic... and crazy. He developed a drug habit back in the early days of his band that set them back from success and basically ended up smoking crack in his parent's basement for 30 years. The guy is a total train wreck. Then some young guy "rediscovers" the band's old records and sets out to find them. After meeting the singer he decides to try and help him get on his feet and back into music. The movie is all about this effort and will he or won't he make it.

It was so weird, but I couldn't stop watching and even found myself rooting for the man to get his life even somewhat together. When it was over I still found myself thinking, "That was really weird." The enabling parents, the rollercoaster of trying to work with a drug addict, and add a new girlfriend into this chaos and it makes for one bizarre watch.

Not for everybody, but if you're in the mood you may find it interesting.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
There are a lot of free movies on Amazon Prime if you're a member, and also on YouTube. I watched the second season of American Horror Story at lunchtime on Prime, and found "Daughter of the Mind," a made-for-TV flick about a fake medium, on YouTube. It's an adaptation of Paul Gallico's "The Hand of Mary Constable," which was one of the books that got me interested in magic and Houdini back in the 60's.

Crackle occasionally has good ones too, although they have commercials. This past week I caught "The China Syndrome" and ""And Justice for All" on there.

Now that I'm working for myself, I've discovered that I like having an old movie playing while I'm drafting or doing something similar. It's the same effect as background music.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
TV SHows

The Following is sick, because good people die, but it keeps you on the edge of the seat.

The Blacklist is also sick, however, bad people die and it too keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Because of "Political Correctness" there is a list of people you can't "make look bad", so the shows are about bad cops, firemen, and political figures.

SyFy is allowed to have aliens bad because they can't complain, sue, or protest.
Dennis Michael
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I remember seeing The China Syndrome in the theater Back when it came out, not too long after the 3 mile island incident. As a kid I thought it was pretty scary. I've seen it since as well- good movie.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2014-01-28 08:45, Theodore Lawton wrote:
I've actually stumbled upon some decent stuff on Netflix lately.

Hachi- a movie about a dumb dog that waits for years for his master to come home after he dies. Based on true events. Stupid mutt. Did someone start cutting onions in here? Smile

I have a problem with "Hachi," it's based on a "true story" that took place in JAPAN!!! Getting Richard Gere to star and setting the thing in America kinda rubs me the wrong way.

Another film I have a bone to pick with is "The Martian Child,"

Here's the synopsis;

Quote:
A science-fiction writer, recently widowed, considers whether to adopt a hyper-imaginative 6-year-old abandoned and socially rejected boy who says he's really from Mars.

The writer of "The Martian Child" is one David Gerrold who IS in fact a science fiction writer (his first sale was "The Trouble With Tribbles" on "Star Trek") he DID in fact adopt an abandoned and socially rejected child who claimed to be from Mars. David is also very gay and was NEVER married not to mention ever "widowed." We won't even go into the ethics of someone losing someone in their life and trying to fill that void by adopting a child! David will never mention this film.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Kick-Ass 2
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
"Pacific Rim" Made my childhood dreams come true.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On 2014-01-30 01:56, Chessmann wrote:
"The Book Thief" - very good, but I had to go to the bathroom around what I thought was near the end of the movie, but it kept not ending...and not ending...and not ending. I was pretty frustrated and uncomfortable by the time it DID end! Smile

Note to self: Go to the bathroom BEFORE the movie starts!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On 2014-01-31 14:02, arthur stead wrote:
Quote:

Very good point. BUT... some of these new movies are very long. So to add, ALSO don't buy a large gulp soda! Smile Lynn

thecardbutler
View Profile
New user
Mexico City, Mexico
50 Posts

Profile of thecardbutler
Bernie
Its great.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2014-01-31 14:02, arthur stead wrote:
Quote:

Haha. I did!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I'm going to go a little against the majority opinion by saying that I liked "Now You See Me." So did my fiancée. They had a nice jab at Valentino-types in it. The "magic fight" was really fun and inventive, I thought. It wasn't a flawless movie but it was a lot of fun.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Seen any good movies lately? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL