The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How do you handle your significant other? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
My partner doesn't even seem to notice my hobby/skill with cards. Or maybe doesn't have the attention span and patience to watch my "new moves" with a deck of cards. Some of his more common reactions preceding my demos are:

"Oh the phone!"
"Hold on let do this or that"
"Oh the dryer just went off"
"What's that ruckus outside?"
"Let me rush to the bathroom.....be right back"
<gives the dog more attention than the miracle I'm about to perform>
"Oh it's tme for my sinus meds"
"Hold on, let me check the oven"

Smile
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
Whenever my significant other wants to know something...she just starts taking off clothes...but doesn't let me touch her until I tell the secret. Smile What can I do? More recently, however, I've managed to convince her that it's better for both of us if she doesn't know all my secrets...as I can do stuff for her and she can be critical, ect.

Smile
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
I don't think there's any need to make a big thing out of keeping your secrets. Give in a few times, tell her a few cheap 'secrets' that she would probably have cracked herself anyway. She'll be disappointed and will soon be telling you she doesn't want to know how it's done because you'd spoil the magic for her.

If my wife asks now I'll agree to tell her if she really wants to know. She usually says she wants to know but she doesn't want me to tell her. Smile

I think perhaps in your situation you could explain that it's not about having something she isn't a part of or knowing something she doesn't know, it's the magicians' code and it would be a betrayal of all that is magic if you just unload the secrets to someone who doesn't even want to perform. Or something along those lines?

Or turn mithrandir's situation round, tell her you'll divulge your magic secrets if she'll show you her bedroom secrets!?! Smile
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
You sir, are a genuis.

Smile
Lagrange
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Lagrange
Quote:
On 2004-01-02 22:34, Jonathan Townsend wrote:As to the secrets... people who respect you will leave your magic as 'private'... about the same as your toothbrush.

It's hard to improve on this statement. My wife is my "test audience." Without her, I'd have to fly blind and have no idea if I'm pulling it off or looking like an idiot.

She views it as a bit of a silly hobby, to be sure, but even so she'd never reveal a secret. I've done a number of effects for her friends and they've been quite pleased.

It's all about trust, and where it's placed.
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
Quote:
On 2004-01-24 17:22, mithrandir wrote:
You sir, are a genuis.

Smile

Smile Shucks. Smile
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Don't forget to rub your toe in the ground as you blush and then say "Shucks"
thumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
Simi Valley, California
132 Posts

Profile of thumbtip
I would give the old answer in a loving way, "I would tell you, but I would have to kill you." It's an oldy but goodie.
"Life is a sexually transmitted, terminal condition" Normal is a setting on a dryer"
Badger
View Profile
Elite user
Ireland
401 Posts

Profile of Badger
When she asks you "how did you do that?" just say: very carefully. Smile
Texas Worker
View Profile
New user
Kerrville Texas
55 Posts

Profile of Texas Worker
I got lucky, my wife dosen't want to know because it will spoil the fun. She does help me on stage now and she is on a need to know basis.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I have had the same "problem if you can call it that. I like to say to a GF, "Can you keep a secret" To "No" I reply "then I cant tell you" and yo "Yes" I reply "Well, so can I".
I have also found that with a previous GF (she still assists me occasionally) it is really nice to have someone that know watch your performance or rehearsals because they can give some very valuable input into the show. It is almost like practising with another magician something I really enjoy.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
It was brought out in the open that cooking the cleaning and the laundry would be done everyday in my relationship, that’s what she told me! I don’t dare keep any secrets… Smile
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
I share anything my wife wants to know. She often has good suggestions, or can spot or shill for me in certain situations.

We are a team...in everything.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How do you handle your significant other? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL