The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Jack Chanin's Little Shop in Philly (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Profile of stephenbanning
Does anyone else have memories of going to Jack Chanin's shop? I recieved some of my first props there 25 years ago. He had this little study where you would walk past doves and sit on a couch where he would demonstrate his egg bag, miser's dream, dye tube, etc. He was wonderful. Earlier this year at a workshop with Cellini, I learned Cellini had been good friends with Jack and that Jack was actually a gypsy. He was so kind and quiet, I never knew he was considered a magical great until years later.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Jack was a member of the now defunct Houdini Magic Club in Philadelphia. Yes I remember Jack well and he always carried a railroad spike!

His store intrigued me in that it was not organized but he knew where everything was!

In 1974, I sold most of my magic to Jack. I am now kicking myself because, I know now the value of those items.
Dennis Michael
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Profile of stephenbanning
That's interesting. What did the rail road spike do? A friend of mine said he used to visit Jack as well and that Jack would sometimes make the magic effect while the customer waited!
magiccarpet
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of magiccarpet
I remember going up the stairs to his shop. I think it was on Walnut Street.
He made me up a special set of rice bowls using his own version.
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
Yep, the actual address was 1212 Walnut St. I first went to Chanin's Studio in the late 50's. Took the Reading Railroad into town from my home in Mt. Airy. What an experience, nothing was packaged, nothing seemed too organized, yet Jack knew where everthing was in a multitude of old chest of drawers.
He was a master at slight of hand, and would work wonders with his drawers of props.
I bought 5 tricks that first visit, a vanishing cigarette, sponge balls, flying saucers, a rope trick, and a color changing silk. He charged me $1.00 a trick.
You were taught by Jack, much of what he sold had no instructions.....other items were typwritten and mimeographed...they always contained the header...."from the private files of Chanin."

God rest his soul!
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
I kick myself for not going there more often, although he was closed more often than not by the time I was able to get into Philly on my own. I went a time or two, and recalled the same 'atmosphere'. In fact, I liked it so much that I often have the same 'atmosphere' chez moi.

I think I still have an old catalog from his store; older than me, I think.
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On 2004-03-06 07:13, Dennis Michael wrote:
Jack was a member of the now defunct Houdini Magic Club in Philadelphia. Yes I remember Jack well and he always carried a railroad spike!

His store intrigued me in that it was not organized but he knew where everything was!

In 1974, I sold most of my magic to Jack. I am now kicking myself because, I know now the value of those items.

Dennis, I nearly bought Jack's Shop in 1976 when I got married. The only reason I didn't was at the time, I thought Jack was probably the only one who could sell his stuff. I wish I had went ahead and bought the place. $17,000 was his asking price. When you think about U3F and then saw Jack do the same thing with huge 3" saucers was really neat.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
MerlH
View Profile
Loyal user
Carolina Shores, N.C.
272 Posts

Profile of MerlH
When Jack would lecture, he did many things with a thumb tip. When he wnt to the explaination, the thumb tip was chrome plated! He made the point that a thumb tip never had to be seen so it didn't matter if the flesh color was not "correct"
Merl Hamen Old dog-- New tricks
Magicray69
View Profile
Veteran user
Tampa Bay
369 Posts

Profile of Magicray69
Jack was probably the best 'sleever' ever. He made those cigars vanish and reappear and was always 3 steps ahead of you. Right when you thought you knew where the cigar was, he would drop that railroad spike onto the floor with a loud KLANG! Quite a character and he had a great oriental stage show. A magician's magician for sure.
There was a time I had the blues,

the reason was I had no shoes.

Until I met upon the street

a man who had no feet.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
He loved to mystify Magicians!
Dennis Michael
Mowee
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of Mowee
I was fortunate enough to work for Jack in the early 60s. My father had been a loyal customer and when he died, Jack offered to help me. So of course I worked for free. LOL. It was a great time and I learned a great deal. Like when he would give me a couple of bucks and say kid, I need a few more miser's dreams...go to woolworths and get me cups that look like this. I think the last time I saw him perform was at a Magic Convention in the early 80s.
J Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of J Christensen
In 1969 I took two friends up those stairs off Walnut. We took one look at the incredible disarray in his store and thinking it was a storage room, we turned around to start down the stairs. Just then we heard Jack call out and we were ushered to the sofa (after stacks of papers and some boxes were removed). Jack proceeded to offer an amazing performance. My friends were thunderstruck. I bought several items from him, but the only one I remember is his impromptu torn-and-restored dollar bill. He was certainly one of a kind!
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
I visited in the 70's. I bought a plastic walnut set for the three shell game. Didn't do it like the saleman, still don't.
Frank
Pasquale
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Pasquale
Made many trips to Chanin's in the 70's - Kanters too. Still have the devil's hank I bought from Jack......
egyptianhallmysteries
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of egyptianhallmysteries
Great memories of Jack and taking lessons in his Market Street shop in 50's when my brother and I were doing every school, birthday party, cub scout banquet booking we could get. In the early 70's we talked about doing his book...but his wife became ill and my travel schedule was hectic...we lost touch, and as you know someone else did the book with him. I beleive we still have several "Big Tens" around.
fredm
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of fredm
Their is a hardcover book called "Chanin"by Dave Haversat. book cotaines stories and pictures of Jack.Also reprints of some of Jack's small booklets.

Fred
Fred Mitchell
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Never been there but I do have an Abbott's catalog with his signature in it as previous owner.
bigcheese
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, CA
56 Posts

Profile of bigcheese
Considering how vital the 'late greats' were to so many contemporary successful magicians I live in hope there are still such people providing inspiration, along with the equipment needed.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
YES! I certainly remember Jack! WE WERE FELLOW MEMBERS OF THE S E C R E T S I X !!!
I'll write up the 'story' of the SECRET SIX and it will be a part of my upcoming book(working title: "EVERYTHING I OWN HAS A HANDLE ON TOP OR WHEELS UNDERNEATH".
I first saw Jack "working" at an MAES convention in Lancaster PA in 1953. (What a sleever!!!!!) We got acquainted at the Norfolk MAES a year later. I was 22,and trying to do a "swayve and deboner" act. --Which endeavor was "forgotten" shortly after Jack and I spent an hour in the green room. He shared bits and ideas that have stayed with me and have been used by me in professional work, ever since.
I didn't see him again until 1965 at a MAGI FEST in Columbus OH. He was pitching a "trick" for $5.00, and I think it cost him at least $.25!!! He had a "hernia". (it was a roll of bils that created a huge bulge in his side pocket!) As soon as I can find a few more free minutes,I'll describe the trick!!!
I think the next time we met was at an Abbott GTG in Colon. He was on one of the shows, I think, so Recil gave him dealer space. He always had a big tip in front of his joint. He took an afternoon off and visited a Jewish childrens' summer camp, where he did a little show. When he returned he had a beautiful framed picture of a SHAMUS WITH A CHOFAR. (I hope I spelled that fairly correctly--otherwise June Horowitz will disown me) I said: "Jack! a Shamus with a Chofar!" He looked surprised and asked: "You a "Hebe", too?"
I said: "No, old friend, just a shagitz-goy!" We both had a good laugh.
When I find some more free minutes, I'll also tell about Jay Marshall taking me to see the Walnut St. shop in 1976 (SAM "LEGIONAIRES' DISEASE CONVENTION)

That's enough for now! (My fingers are gettin tired)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
I nearly bought his business in 1977. Spent a lot of time with Jack, still have his flying saucers, shells, as well as other items. His Chinese Act was incredible.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Jack Chanin's Little Shop in Philly (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL