The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » A new trick boost the hat. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1302 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
My act has been the same for a about 2 years. I have worked on many aspects of the preastion. Things such as edge building, joke and connection with audience aswell as hat lines. But there still work to be done. And as part of thinking I need something a bit of bussiness between first and second effect.

So the past few days I have tried making a balloon dog for the volunteer that has helped me. I blow a bubble on it tail and joke about pulling it off and putting back on. I do this a few times.

And I have noticed the family with that kid tips better. And there usually the first in so it has a effect on other people as well. Must be that they value getting something.

By the way I do a 10min small door way act for 10-20 people.

Please comment or give similar experiences but my main reson to post is just to share.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1065 Posts

Profile of imgic
There's something called the "reciprocity effect." Some studies on it were in the news not too long ago. Basically, people are more willing to give more, or tip more, when their given something. For example, a server that gives you mints with your bill after dinner gets bigger tips than a server that doesn't. If you get something, even a small thing, you feel an obligation to reciprocate. That's exactly what your balloon animal is doing.

While not exactly the same, I think the more you engage the audience, a similar effect occurs. Getting as many people to volunteer as you can, getting the whole crowd to yell, chant or clap, or anything else that gets them vested into the show will provide fatter hats.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
Sometimes too, it is simply a matter of our own boredom with the effects we have done a thousand times, and thus failing to really "sell them" to the audience, but there is generally a renewed excitement about that which is...... new.

Not everyone falls into this performance trap. In fact, in street performing where the evidence of success, or failure is obvious in your hats, it is much more rare than with other magicians/performers. So I won't say that is what made the difference with you. I simply offer it for consideration.

But, you are doing the right thing to be continually examining your act. What worked, why? What failed, why? Are you performing in the right venue, or should you doing a different style of show? Can you do less with the same result? Do you need to do more? So many questions, and so many answers to uncovered.

Fat hats to you!

The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
I give gold plastic coins to kids who participate in or are watching my three shell. I'll often teach them a very simple trick where they hide or don't hide it under their shoe before they leave.

I'm not sure it increases my tips, but my strong hunch is that it does for three reasons:
1. It gives each child something physical to take home with them.
2. Each child wants to give me something in the hat in return (rather than one child putting in a bill for the entire family).
3. It gives parents/grandparents an out of not purchasing something for the child as part of the trip to the market since the child already has something special for the day "from the magician." (Spoken as a parent of children who used to be young.)
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1045 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hello Yellowcustard.
ha, you're sitting in New Zealand,..
,...you have absolutly NÖ idea how much snow there is today,..
,here in Germany,..
that I,... I must shovel!
It's German law.,... I'm responsible for the sidewalk, in front of my house.
(you know, the reason I FIRST came to The Side Walk Shuffle, is because I was hoping for Shoveling tips! TRUE!!!)
((yeah,.. we drink Groggs while shoveling.,..
why do you ask?))

still,
still,..
try something.
,....hey, life IS longer then we think(!),
especially when:
1.) Our Show ain't doing it.
2.) the money's tight.

try something.
Put together three Effects,.. that YOU like to do,..
CAN do,...
and somewhat 'fit' together,.. lead in to one another.
Ten minutes...
,,we're only asking for ten minutes.

Go out there, get a little audience,..
do it.
,ten minutes.
NÖ money in your head.
Just do it.
Try to enjoy it.
Try to let them see,.. feel,.. WHY YOU enjoy the stuff(!).
It's not so hard.
You don't need to please everybody,..
play for those,..
with YOUR tastes.,..
even if it only THREE,...
(and four sheep.)
Don't try to do something "they'll pay for."
Forget the money.

AND,.. at the end,..
DON'T ask for money.(!).
Don't even put your Hat out.
Just say, "Thank you."
,pack your stuff up,.. and think about how you performed,..
what went well,..
what you want to do better,..

Do three such Shows.

Go for three days.

Evenings, think about "how", "what",..YOU could do better.
,..to make your Show more Magical,.. more Entertaining.
Maybe watch a 'Richard Ross' youtube clip,.
or a Fred Kaps clip.
Watch a "pure entertainer",.. not a hustler.

Three days,.. nö Hat.,
try to "give",.. create,.. a good Show.
Release the money.

Fourth day,..
say, "Thank you,... here's our (OUR!) Hat."

I wish you,.. US,.. luck.
I truely believe,
if we increase the quality,.
while decreasing the pressure,...
by the way,
this principle works in shoveling snow, as well!

back to work,..
Gallagher "cold hands/warm heart" Hayes

p.s.: you want to "give 'em something",... that'll make 'em feel like givin' you something in return?
Give 'em a good Show.
People are good,.
and fair,...
,.... some of my best friends are the species.
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Best post ever. Thank you.
bropaul
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
220 Posts

Profile of bropaul
I like it Gallagher. Thanks for promoting the power of the show. I've always thought if I love what I do then I'll get paid. 62 years old. So far, so good. Thank you again for a very insightful post!
Bro. Paul West

www.BrotherPaulMagic.com
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
442 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
You may actually want to physically boost the trickle hat, too, as in this post.
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1065 Posts

Profile of imgic
Zoo...can you explain? Not sure what you mean...
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1302 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Quote:
On 2014-02-01 16:28, The Great Zoobini wrote:
You may actually want to physically boost the trickle hat, too, as in this post.

I do have a hatline at the end of my show but I do have a box laid out for a trickle. A while ago a flute playing busker said he tried different container to collect in. He found something squarer about A4 size about 50mm deep worked best. People could see in to it and knew why it was there. Also people feel they have to fill up something up. He dint like the sound that metal on metal made but sound is important and color to show up the money as well. I don't know how right this it but I do follow this advice.

the level could be intrestinfg as well.
Enjoy your magic,

Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
918 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
I can get 2 Card Monte for about $0.05 each including instructions. I have given those away to great effect. The problem becomes how to give one to everyone without disrupting the flow.

I have a variation on my show that includes giving a balloon animal to a child with several jokes and bits involved right before the cups and balls finale. I have found that I typically get a $5 from anyone I give a balloon too.

The problem with the balloons is that if there are lots of kids you could end up making 15 sculptures before you can start the building the next crowd. I haven't found a good way to leverage the action into the next crowd.

The thing I have found that most increases hats is asking for what you want. Suggest they tip 5, 10, or 20. You will get more large tips this way or at least I do.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1302 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Magician Shaun - I have thought about this and I just say I cant due to trading laws. If I make one in my show that's fine. but if I make them and you pay then I am breaking trading laws. And were I busk twister have been told this.
Enjoy your magic,

imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1065 Posts

Profile of imgic
Without getting into the whole "busking is protected by 1st amendment" argument. I've seen many cities that gave laws that prohibit asking of specific amounts (I.e. You can ask for "tips" but can't ask for $5, 10, or 20). Also providing balloons starts getting into "selling" area which may require a permit...sell depends on laws and how /if they are enforced.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
He's not selling the balloon. He giving it away as a gift. I as well found that the parents of the kids will tip more when there child is having a good time.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1302 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
The balloon selling thing is a odd issue. But my point is to give me and Shaun a excuse to get out of making 100 of balloons. Any way keep going/
Enjoy your magic,

Nate The Magician
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Nate The Magician
I sometimes give out old worn decks of cards to volunteers for card tricks/ "Magic Coins" that the young volunteers can wave to do magic/ random stuffed animals/ money depending on the act and what I have on me.
It never fails to get the parents tipping very well.
bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
Mouth coil into a Hawaiian lay .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » A new trick boost the hat. (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL