The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Soccer / Footbal World Cup is coming (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1628 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
In few months we will have the Soccer/Football world cup in Rio. Born in Argentina, you know which team is my favorite.
To start with a good example of soccer, here is the the 1986 2nd Goal of Maradona against England (this is NOT the hand of God goal), this is the one Maradona passes 7 players includling the keeper. This video is a new angle of the goal that I just discovered and really shows why Football is a great sport to watch and enjoy. He picked the ball at the Argentina's side and the first line he passes is the half field line, it give you a perspective of all the field he had to run to score.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icBYJMZur2U

pablo
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20615 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Despite the Confederations Cup performance Spain will take the World Cup once again.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
That goal really is one for the ages. 1986 was a brilliant cup.

But I got an unexpected surprise. My friend uses the same music for his dove act, with my daughter as his assistant. Always nice to be reminded of friends and family. And magic.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
If Argentina don't win it, they've seriously underperformed.

Aguero and Messi are in the top 3 best players in the world. Only injuries or complacency can stop them I reckon

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
England will again under-perform. The Dutch will do well, but not win. Favorites will always be Brazil, Argentina, Spain, and Germany because of their incredible work rate. I don't think France will fare well this time. And even though it's unlikely, I'm going to go with one of the underdog teams: Portugal.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4159 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2014-01-29 09:45, kambiz wrote:
If Argentina don't win it, they've seriously underperformed.

They've been doing this for awhile, though, despite great players. Just haven't been able to put it together to get where they feel they should be.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4159 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2014-01-29 16:57, arthur stead wrote:
England will again under-perform.

No doubt, exiting via a penalty shoot-out. Ugh. Smile

England have long been my favorite football/soccer team. Don't know why, as I live in the USA. I suppose I would root for the USA in a match, but always loved England.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Same here, Chessman. I grew up in South Africa in the 50's and 60's. We didn't have TV but every Saturday I listened to the English football broadcasts on our shortwave radio. Have loved British football ever since (and in the early 60's George Best became my idol ... hence the fact that I've been a Man Utd supporter all my life).

Anyway, for me there's nothing better or more exciting than the English Premier League teams. And yet, the English national team has been a real disappointment. I'd love for them to win the World Cup ... but it just ain't gonna happen. Penalty shoot-outs ... Aaargh!
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
sammagic
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of sammagic
Quote:
On 2014-01-29 19:31, arthur stead wrote:

Anyway, for me there's nothing better or more exciting than the English Premier League teams. And yet, the English national team has been a real disappointment. I'd love for them to win the World Cup ... but it just ain't gonna happen. Penalty shoot-outs ... Aaargh!

10% of the 'English' premier league are Welsh football clubs, Swansea & Cardiff, with Swansea probably playing the most entertaining and fluent football in the league.

The Welsh love to hate the English national sides, whatever sport.

One of my pet hates is, if a Welsh or Scottish sports person wins something, he is reported in the media as being British, but if an English sports person wins he is always reported as being English!! Just look at Andy Murray.

Would I like to see them win? Yes it would be good for football in the UK, but we would never hear the end of it over here, they still go on about 66 as if it was yesterday!!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-01-29 19:55, sammagic wrote:
Quote:

10% of the 'English' premier league are Welsh football clubs, Swansea & Cardiff, with Swansea probably playing the most entertaining and fluent football in the league.

One of my pet hates is, if a Welsh or Scottish sports person wins something, he is reported in the media as being British, but if an English sports person wins he is always reported as being English!! Just look at Andy Murray.

Would I like to see them win? Yes it would be good for football in the UK, but we would never hear the end of it over here, they still go on about 66 as if it was yesterday!!

FWIW, in boxing, Scottish and Welsh standouts are generally referred to as being from their own countries, not as being "British." In particular, I'm thinking of Colin Jones, Ken Buchanan, Joe Calzaghe, and Jim Watt.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Ryan Giggs .... one of the greatest Welsh footballers ever.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1628 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Personally I believe Argentina could do very good if they make the defense work, from the middle to the forwards we have so many good players that Aguero or Higuan could be sitting on the sideline. I am always concern with the defense, if you recalled the last World Cup against Germany, the Argentina defense was a disaster, the first goal was a header coming from a head pass of another German player, where were our central denfenders!!

Brazil will be very difficult in Rio, Germany is always Germany, not easy games, I don't think Spain will be the Spain of 4 years ago but still they play nice footbal, Portugal is one player, I think between Argentina, Brazil, Germany and Spain will be the Champion.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Check out this Ryan Giggs wonder goal against Arsenal in the 1999 FA Cup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNiogYxwqg4
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
sammagic
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of sammagic
Quote:
On 2014-01-29 19:59, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-01-29 19:55, sammagic wrote:
Quote:

FWIW, in boxing, Scottish and Welsh standouts are generally referred to as being from their own countries, not as being "British." In particular, I'm thinking of Colin Jones, Ken Buchanan, Joe Calzaghe, and Jim Watt.

Not always LobowolfXXX, especially when they fight in the US as a few think that Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are a part of England! But you've probably mentioned one of the greatest boxers we have seen in recent times in your post, Joe Calzaghe. One of the best fights I have ever seen in all weights is Calzaghe v Evans Ashira in September 2005. Calzaghe broke his left hand in the 1st few rounds, Calzaghe is a south paw and went on to beat him by just using his right.

If you ever get a chance to watch this fight, you'll see how good a boxer he was and why he retired unbeaten.
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
Same here, Chessman. I grew up in South Africa in the 50's and 60's. We didn't have TV but every Saturday I listened to the English football broadcasts on our shortwave radio. Have loved British football ever since (and in the early 60's George Best became my idol ... hence the fact that I've been a Man Utd supporter all my life).

As a Man Utd supporter all my life too, I will always support England. Being raised in Manchester, you can't help but get nervous before a World Cup, but you never know this year. Lets hope Rooney, Sturridge and Welbeck link up well.

BTW, did Januzaj decide on playing for England or no?

Kam
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2014-01-29 20:59, arthur stead wrote:

Favourite moment of my life (well amongst others) Smile

Kam
sammagic
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of sammagic
Quote:
On 2014-01-29 20:59, arthur stead wrote:

Arthur, don't know if you know that Ryan Giggs was born in Wales, captained England school boys and had the choice to play for either England or Wales senior sides. He chose Wales due to where he was born and his family.

If he had chosen England I think that he would have probably become one of the most capped international player in world football. In his 24th season with Man Utd, with 64 Welsh caps. If you look at it that Wales never get into the World Cup Finals or European Finals and that England play on average 12 internationals a year, I think he chose the wrong country.........and I'm Welsh too!!

Probablt the best player ever not to have appeared in a World Cup Final.
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1106 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
A good outside bet will be Belgium but I'm going to plump for Brazil to win as they are going to be hard to beat on their home turf.

Sadly, my home team of England will struggle to get out of the group stage as the players & the manager are nothing short of mediocre.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16262 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well it's not til June is it? I mean a lot might happen between now and then.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
What are the current betting lines?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Soccer / Footbal World Cup is coming (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL