The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bieber Petition................ (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2014-02-02 15:04, critter wrote:

He told police that his parents manage his medications so I don't take it as a given that he manages his own money. Public relations people always have their clients make donations to popular causes.

I feel 100% sure he has people manage his money, or at least assist him to do so. Surely that is par for the course for anyone with his sort of wealth. Heck, even I have people who help me manage my money and I imagine it is the same for many other people on this forum.

Having said that, much of his charity work has nothing to do with donations of money. Many of them revolve around donating his time and free concerts.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-02-02 15:32, balducci wrote:
I'm puzzled about the license. Canadians drive all the time in the U.S. on the basis of their Canadian drivers licenses. I've no idea why Bieber would bother to have a U.S. license in the first place, and I am surprised he wouldn't have a valid Canadian one.

Interesting Q. A couple of possibilities that are pure speculation on my part:

1) Maybe, since he lives in the USA now, he hasn't renewed his Canadian license (assuming he had one), and it expired before his American one did.
2) Maybe as a visitor to the USA, one can drive on a Canadian license, but after becoming a legal permanent resident, one is required to obtain an American license.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
And his PR people don't help schedule his appearances? Nearly every celebrity does charity work. It's good image management. I question: why stop there when it comes to image management? Small things matter too, not just photo ops.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Who is he anyway?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Your son?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
If he got locked up for a few months the way someone who wasn't a celebrity would, he might not be so cocky.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2014-02-02 19:58, motown wrote:
If he got locked up for a few months the way someone who wasn't a celebrity would, he might not be so cocky.

As near as I can tell, Bieber is charged in Miami with drunk driving, resisting arrest and driving with an expired license. If he is found guilty on all three counts, how much time do you figure he should get? You think that anyone else on these charges would get "a few months" in jail? Dunno. What's the standard in Florida?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2014-02-02 19:03, LobowolfXXX wrote:

2) Maybe as a visitor to the USA, one can drive on a Canadian license, but after becoming a legal permanent resident, one is required to obtain an American license.

FWIW, regarding his residency status, I just found this:

http://swampland.time.com/2014/01/24/why......-bieber/

"Bieber resides in the U.S. on an O-1 visa, which is reserved for “individuals with an extraordinary ability in the arts or extraordinary achievement in motion picture or television industry.” According to federal law, only violent crimes and sentences longer than 1 year result in a re-evaluation of visa status."

And from a comment at the same link:

"The problem here is that US immigration policies are highly based on socioeconomic background, racism, and racial profiling. Despite popular belief that he's a permanent resident this kid is here on a O-1 visa, which is a visa given to athletes, high profile academics or other people the US government deems "exceptional" in their professions."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Rico's allegation of racism notwithstanding, it's not so easy to deport someone on an O-1 (even when he's not white). There's an interesting link from the article, too, suggesting that the difference between the treatment of Bieber, who can stay in the country, and various workers who were removed following employment raids, is not that they're here illegally while he's been lawfully admitted to the country and has certain concurrent rights, but that he's white and they're not (which is kind of funny given what is mostly a catch-and-release discretionary policy). If I have to read too many more of these race card comments, I'm going to end up supporting Bieber, which I don't really want to do. At any rate, it may be the case that even on a non-immigrant visa, one has to get a driver's license, since although one is not ostensibly "permanent," one is generally sticking around longer than tourists, for whom it would be quite impractical to require a driver's license. Again, I don't really know what the deal is with the license expiration. Maybe it was just his Canadian license that expired.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2014-02-02 21:28, Magnus Eisengrim wrote: You think that anyone else on these charges would get "a few months" in jail? Dunno. What's the standard in Florida?

Ummm...Being shot under Stand Your Ground laws?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Might be interesting to know how many non-whites get O-1 status.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
The law, as applied to the rich and famous, is completely different to the law that applies to us mere mortals. As an example, I draw your attention to a story I shared about the ex-Kiss guitarist, Ace Frehley. It's on this page, the 6th post from the top:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......tart=120
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-02-02 22:40, landmark wrote:
Might be interesting to know how many non-whites get O-1 status.

I agree...I think it would be very interesting.

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-02-02 22:50, arthur stead wrote:
The law, as applied to the rich and famous, is completely different to the law that applies to us mere mortals. As an example, I draw your attention to a story I shared about the ex-Kiss guitarist, Ace Frehley. It's on this page, the 6th post from the top:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......tart=120

Must be nice! As an aside, I had that first Frehley's Comet album.

motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2014-02-02 21:28, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:

As near as I can tell, Bieber is charged in Miami with drunk driving, resisting arrest and driving with an expired license. If he is found guilty on all three counts, how much time do you figure he should get? You think that anyone else on these charges would get "a few months" in jail? Dunno. What's the standard in Florida?
Maybe he could spend a few months with you Magnus since you seem to think he's such a good kid.
– Karl Germain
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-02-03 00:19, motown wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-02 21:28, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:

Maybe he could spend a few months with you Magnus since you seem to think he's such a good kid.

You read too much into what I wrote. He should be treated the same as anyone else in his position; neither better nor worse.

He did seem to be a pretty good kid a couple of years ago. He looks like a spoiled brat at the moment--but that's not a criminal offense.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
That's the point Magnus, he get 'a treated better. And sorry he's more that a brat.
– Karl Germain
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-02-03 22:09, motown wrote:
That's the point Magnus, he get 'a treated better. And sorry he's more that a brat.

How has he been treated better? He's facing charges. He hasn't been in court. What's better?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Does his mum know?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2014-02-03 22:49, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-03 22:09, motown wrote:

How has he been treated better? He's facing charges. He hasn't been in court. What's better?
History Magnus

Go out and try the same thing Magnus. Do everything he did. And will see who comes out with the better deal. Go ahead, make my day.
– Karl Germain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bieber Petition................ (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL