The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Connecting High Wattage Lights in Series (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Ok, building a "flash" appearance using lights instead of a flash pot. Slightly embarrassing since I got my degree in electrical engineering - but I NEVER used it (I did computer programming when I was working in the industry). Anyway, I got a question related to electrical work.

I need high wattage lights for the appearance. I've used a 300 or 400 watt bulb on stage before for a shadow tent illusion and that worked well. My question is related to the flash appearance though. I imagine I'll have 6-8 bulbs connected around my illusion and they should flash together for only a second before the girl appears inside my cabinet. So the questions are:

1) Is there some sort of existing "chain" that will allow me to connect these in series or will I need to make one?
2) If they are all connected in series, do I risk tripping the theater's breaker when trying to turn on 6-8 at a shot?

Any help is appreciated. Specifically looking for builders who've done this in the past.

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
Why would you not go with LED photo flash units instead and save yourself a lot of grief?
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
You may also buy surplus flash units (scrapped from cameras) at about $2 each.
They would run off of batteries and, as a collective. make a very intense flash.
No cables.
Low voltage.
Easy wiring.
and CHEAP!
I can hook you up with a web link if needed.
that's what I would do Smile
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Actually you would connect the bulbs in parallel. Eight 400 watt bulbs would pull about 29 amps. I would go with 300 watts if you can. That would be 22 amps. Make sure you have at least a 30 amp circuit with not to many other thing connected to it.

A 400 watt bulb pulls 3.6 amps. A 300 watt bulb pulls 2.7 amps.

If you could cut it down to six bulbs that would be better.
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Eldon, any wire harness that you know of that already has this ready to go or will I need to construct one?

Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
No pre-made harness comes to mind. You will probably have to make it.
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Thanks everyone!

MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Matt, you're not alone. I also got an Electrical Engineering degree and never used it and don't remember much of it. The electrical stuff I actually do is all stuff I learned from dad who learned in the Navy.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Most of my electrical knowledge came from 4-H projects and it serves me well enough to do most basic things.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Are incandescent bulbs going to continue to be available?
30 amps is a lot and may only be available in professional theaters - but not many other places (admittedly I'm not an expert in this area).
Cabling would need to be sized sufficiently to carry that current also. A household extension cord probably won't cut it.
You may want to seriously consider what others mention about flash units.
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Well, this will be plan B - plan A is to use a very bright spot on top of the structure. They already had it in house so we will try that first. If it's not good, we'll try something else last minute. ...welcome to high school theater...sigh

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Connecting High Wattage Lights in Series (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL