The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Re-magnetizing chop cups? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

littlethumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
San Antonio, Texas
126 Posts

Profile of littlethumbtip
Here's a question for my Café friends whom handle chop cups:

I recently bought a nice Johnson Product Chop Cup from a member here on the Café.

However, the magnet on the cup seems to have weakened. It will orient the polarity of the new chop cup balls that I bought specifically for the cup, from RNT2, but it won't hold the ball on the inside of the cup when I rotate the cup over. I followed the RNT directions to the letter, in adjusting the magnet inside the ball. But I'm still not having any luck with the Johnson cup holding onto the ball :O(! So I suspect the problem is with the cup.

I was thinking of buying a rare earth (neodymium) magnet disk to rub on the underside of the Chop Cup, after doing some research on the net on "how to re-magnetize magnets".

My question is: has anyone tried this method with any success?

Thank you so much, in advance, for your suggestions!

Gene
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1617 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Gene,

Have you considered getting a ball with a stronger magnet?
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Seems pretty obvious, doesn't it? Forget about tinkering with the cup. Just shop around until you find a ball with a stronger magnet, as Kent says, or make one yourself : a crafts store can provide you with everything you need - and in 'aint much.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
889 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
You say you bought the cup recently. In that time, have you experienced the magnet getting weaker. Or are you saying that you thought the cup would have a stronger magnet right from the start. If it's the first -- the magnet has weakened in a short time -- then you should contact Johnson for an exchange. If it's the second, then I agree you need to shop around for different balls. The opposite happened to me. I bought a little pocket size chop cup. Some balls work fine; others need a hard smack to dislodge. You have to play around until you get a match that works for you.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1066 Posts

Profile of BCS
My experience with the Johnson Chop Cup is that it is a little finicky using balls other than what Johnson provides. I have had great luck using RNT2 balls with the Johnson Chop Cup and others due to the RNT2 balls being adjustable.

BeThePunk pretty much said it all.

Good Luck,
Bruce
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3983 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I once had an old Morrisey combo set that had a very weak magnet. I bought a very strong magnet about 1" x 1" x 1.5" and put it on the top of the cup. I don't remember how long I kept it there, but do remember I would check often for any changes. It worked great for me, re-energizing the gaff. YMMV. Just my own experience.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1720 Posts

Profile of jakeg
All of my cups, (except for the one Morrisey that I have), have magnets that are too strong. I have to take them into a magic shop and find some matches. I figure that if the ball is magnetized, and the cup is attracted to it, the cup doesn't have to be magnetized at all. I watch movies of some of the guys using a nice light touch, and I'm slamming the 'you know what' out of mine.
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
724 Posts

Profile of ftlum
RNT2 makes balls where you can adjust the strength of the pull. Probably easier than trying to adjust the cup itself.
oldmagic009
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of oldmagic009
Quote:
On 2014-01-30 14:25, jakeg wrote:
All of my cups, (except for the one Morrisey that I have), have magnets that are too strong. I have to take them into a magic shop and find some matches. I figure that if the ball is magnetized, and the cup is attracted to it, the cup doesn't have to be magnetized at all. I watch movies of some of the guys using a nice light touch, and I'm slamming the 'you know what' out of mine.

I often make my own chop balls using a knot called "Monkey ball" knot ... easy to make. I use a cork center and cylinder magnet from an online supplier called K&J magnetic ... big catalog of magnets ... decent prices ... I generally use 1/8" or 1/10" cylinder magnets with a length that depends obviously on the ball width.

For instance a 1" ball will likely work with a 1/2" long magnet ... drill a slightly undersized hole completely thru the cork ball .. you can adjust the strength by pressing the magnet into the ball at different depths. This entire process requires some experimentation ... so order several sizes of magnets and have some fun ... you'll eventually find the perfect combination that allows a soft touch ... no need to slame the cup down which of course is a dead giveaway while performing unless you've incorporated a hard slame into you patter.

Many chop cups require adjusting and there is no need to buy expensive "adjustable" balls. Good luck.
littlethumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
San Antonio, Texas
126 Posts

Profile of littlethumbtip
Thank everyone, thus far, for your excellent comments and advice!

I will definitely take things to heart and experiment with several chopped balls to see which one fits my Johnson cup, best :O).

It's rather encouraging to be a part of a community where members are so generous with their knowledge and experience. Thanks again.

Gene
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1066 Posts

Profile of BCS
Gene... I had to spend some time adjusting the RNT2 balls to find the right setting so that when I use the Johnson Cups as a combo set, I could do the vanish of placing a Cup over a ball sitting upon a Cup. Once done there was a good balance of the ball doing what it was supposed to do... that is stay where it should and no Cup slamming.

Take care,
Bruce
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
889 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
I agree with oldmagic009. I have also experimented with making my own monkey fist chop balls. First, I like handling monkey fists. Second, you can stack more than one cylinder magnet into the cork center and really make the ball as powerful as you want.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
I once bought a chop cup at a magic convention - a beautiful brass goblet!

I made the mistake of soldering a rolled rim onto the cup to improve it's looks. Thinking that keeping water in the bowl would protect the magnet, I proceeded to ruin the magnet that is built into the cup from exposure to excessive heat (I was young and foolish - amazing how those two words go hand in hand...). In spite of repeated efforts, I have been unable to re-magnetize the cup, so I have chalked it up to experience and keep the cup to remind me not to do that again.

Experience is a hard teacher, but a sure one, IF you are paying attention!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Re-magnetizing chop cups? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL