The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » THE SWITCH by Shin Lim (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..9..13..17..21..25..29~30~31 [Next]
paw
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of paw
Yes. it can be performed standing. same as sitting
Zhang
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Zhang
Quote:
On 2014-01-31 15:57, paw wrote:


THE SWITCH
I have seen this in person many times. It looks EXACTLY like what you see in the video. I believe there was a cut away on a card signing but that was only for artistic reasons. In my personal opinion this is the best product Shin has EVER come out with. There are many different handlings taught on how to fold the card into corners (mercury fold, etc. as well as openly folding the signed care in front of the spectator and vanishing it). But the switch looks like this 100% of the time. It really looks AMAZING!!!
Gimmick is Genius…
Btw - Brett - Shin was only hired to be the hands on Melt. Melt is not his effect, thinking, etc.

Patrick




I'm just saying what I saw in the demo: he faked the combincing control, the M F and the transfer of the card to the right hand he does that in all of his demos, it is a fact.
Merlin
View Profile
Veteran user
Palmerton, Pa
362 Posts

Profile of Merlin
Quote:
On 2014-01-31 15:39, MagicBrent wrote:
In the trailer he says, "there's no box to carry." Is that a jab to Regal with the clarity box?! Holla!


I would think he meant more towards the M-Case and the others that are similar.
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
837 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
A little photoshop could show it clearly, but the first demo really looks like it used two different signatures, thus two different cards (look at the thick tail of the signature on the left side...). The second video though is not clear enough to show for certain, but it looks like the smiley faces are possibly the same. It also looks like he does indeed do the CC, MF, and transfer in the second demo, so no reason to believe that video was staged. Unfortunately, the quality of the video in the second demo also isn't good enough to let you see how it really looks in the critical moment.

If that's the case - the second video still looked pretty good, although I'd watch to see the actual "switch" close up in much better quality before buying. It also begs the question of why to fake the first demo video? Shin was burned here before for using a dupe signed card and faking the move on a trailer...

If the reviews are very positive, I may consider it.
Sean Fields
View Profile
V.I.P.
Winnipeg
889 Posts

Profile of Sean Fields
CONJECTURE ALERT! WHAT FOLLOWS IS MY OPINION ONLY. I HAVE NO INSIDE INFORMATION OR AFFILIATION WITH THIS PRODUCT.

Well, after a little more thought, and some experimentation in the lab, I think I have deduced what is going on. If it is what I think, it is a clever adaptation of an old mentalism concept, and it does do what it shows in the video. I must again state I do not have the product, or even know the method Shin is using. However, after a little brainstorming I have worked out a method that looks EXACTLY like what Shin shows in the video, leading me to believe the methods are at least similar.

If so, this is great, and you guys will love it. If not, I just 'invented' a new switch! ;P

Sf
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Who cares if he used two different cards!? The effect is about the SWITCH. Not the process leading up to it!

The only reason he was in trouble with his last use of signed dupes was because he was selling a control. In this, it doesn't matter. The control has nothing to do with the gimmick!

If it really is this clean and more importantly, if it's PRACTICAL then I want this extremely badly.






Shin, if you want someone to test this around and review it honestly, send me a copy!! XP it honestly looks great and I really hope this one doesn't disappoint like some of his other effects.
Zhang
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Zhang
Quote:
On 2014-01-31 17:07, Magic.Maddy wrote:
Who cards if he used two different cards!? The effect is about the SWITCH. Not the process leading up to it!

The only reason he was in trouble with his last use of signed dupes was because he was selling a control. In this, it doesn't matter. The control has nothing to do with the gimmick!

If it really is this clean and more importantly, if it's PRACTICAL then I want this extremely badly.






Shin, if you want someone to test this around and review it honestly, send me a copy!! XP it honestly looks great and I really hope this one doesn't disappoint like some of his other effects.


You're right about that, its about the switch but why fake the rest? are you gonna fake the handling when you performing in the real world? what should I trust someone who fakes handling to sell effect,etc?

P.S. Everything matter when it comes to sell magic product IMHO.
OliOliOli
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of OliOliOli
This looks superb. I enjoyed 52 Shades of Red and now this to look forward to. The switch looks seamless and with sleeves rolled up - can't wait to get my order in and I will give an honest review when I receive my copy. Already I'm thinking of the endless possibilities with this and if Shin or anyone who has first hand experience with this method can let me know if it can be done with billets I'd love to know.
Sean Fields
View Profile
V.I.P.
Winnipeg
889 Posts

Profile of Sean Fields
I have met Shin, and believe me he has the chops to make those moves look like they were faked.

Maddy is 100% correct; this is about the switch anyway. As long as the moment of the switch wasn't faked, how he got there is irrelevant. We are magicians, and can identify the moves he was using, but laypeople can't. I actually think the way Shin shot the demo was clever, faked or not. It shows a lay audience an impossible trick, and allows an attentive magician audience to follow the method. He wasn't being secretive about the moves; in fact, I think he was deliberately over emphasizing what was happening SO you could follow, and focus on the switch as it happens. And given that is what you are paying for, that is what matters.

My 2 cents more.

Sf
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
837 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
Guys - I'm not trying to be negative about Shin's ability - I've met him, and believe me when I say I know the guy can make it look that flawless. I'm just questioning why do it if it is indeed faked?

Further - yes, it is about the switch - but obviously it the card that was signed isn't the card that was unfolded, then we aren't seeing the actual switch! So what matters isn't being seen on the first demo - although it may be on the second, but not in any quality where we can actually see if it looks any good. All I'm saying is that I would love to see the switch itself a little better - after, that's what's being sold, and I don't feel like I'm really getting a chance to see it.

So yes, I do follow what is going on, and I even have suspicions on how the actual switch happens. Also, I do agree that it is the switch that matters (not the rest). However, I do not feel I am getting a good enough look at the part that matters to determine whether it would be worth it to me. For that reason, I'll wait for reviews.
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of VIEW
The 'move' is nowhere near as smooth as in this less studio produced demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCDZbQvzR_E

still good tho
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On 2014-01-31 17:34, VIEW wrote:
The 'move' is nowhere near as smooth as in this less studio produced demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCDZbQvzR_E

still good tho


I disagree. I think it looks every bit as good.

He's just taking it out of her hand instead of off a table. Plus when filming a demo, you have unlimited takes to get the best performance to add. Everyone does that with products. It wouldn't make sense not to.
rasmus
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland
1690 Posts

Profile of rasmus
After watching this live performance, I really doubt that the card he unfolds at the end is the same
that was signed at the beginning.

looks to clean to me and nothing ditched at the end. if this is for real, it is real magic imo Smile
A World without Magic is a World without Dreams and Hope:)



Creator of: STEEL (performed by Dynamo), X-RAY, Real Coin Bend (performed by Dynamo), Totally Crazy Bands, Rasmus Haunted Deck, MCF CARDS, Jawbreaker, POLTERGEIST
www.rasmusmagic.ch
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
327 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
We just listed this up at MJM Magic and taking preorders right now. Release date is scheduled for February 12th.
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
Sean Fields
View Profile
V.I.P.
Winnipeg
889 Posts

Profile of Sean Fields
I agree. I think this looks just as good live as it did in studio. Well done Shin.

SF
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
This is my hypothesis, as well, guys. I think we are missing something critical from the video demo...it does not show EVERYTHING, including the important part.

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On 2014-01-31 17:55, rasmus wrote:
After watching this live performance, I really doubt that the card he unfolds at the end is the same
that was signed at the beginning.

looks to clean to me and nothing ditched at the end. if this is for real, it is real magic imo Smile
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
So is this a gimmick that you personalize for every deck or a gimmick that you make from scratch or a gimmick that is used for everything??
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2386 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
This does sound very good from what I've heard so we have also listed it for pre-orders it should be with us in the UK on 14th Feb' assuming no delays.

http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic/t......im-.html
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1347 Posts

Profile of Stucky
There is definitely some editing and false moves in that main demo. The two table switches appear to have frames removed and the initial routine is faked. If you saw his 52 DVD then you likely know how this works. It's too bad he keeps pulling the wool over peoples eyes like this.
Official Thread Killer
MovieMan
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

Profile of MovieMan
Quote:
On 2014-01-31 18:42, Stucky wrote:
There is definitely some editing and false moves in that main demo. The two table switches appear to have frames removed and the initial routine is faked. If you saw his 52 DVD then you likely know how this works. It's too bad he keeps pulling the wool over peoples eyes like this.

Agree 100%.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » THE SWITCH by Shin Lim (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..9..13..17..21..25..29~30~31 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL