The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » THE SWITCH by Shin Lim (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19..29~30~31 [Next]
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Quote:
On 2014-02-11 02:19, Chessmann wrote:
"Jannes, I was edited out earlier in this topic. Remember that you are a magician, so dump on other magicians no matter what the cost. And remember - blame any "Switch" pre-order delays on Moses."

I'd kill to have even the smallest fraction of Yul Brynner's stage presence.
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Our stock is being shipped today so should be here for Friday to ship out to UK customers, maybe Thursday if the post is good to us!!!

Order from Saturn Magic and get a free bonus card while stocks last.
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
djefvulen
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of djefvulen
Quote:
On 2014-02-11 15:24, Saturn UK wrote:
Our stock is being shipped today so should be here for Friday to ship out to UK customers, maybe Thursday if the post is good to us!!!

Order from Saturn Magic and get a free bonus card while stocks last.

I've ordered from you. Any chance of accessing the bonus page today or tomorrow? Smile
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Thanks for your order.

I just need to actually get it to see what is covered off in the DVD before loading the bonus page.

There is at least one tip not mentioned on the DVD that I know for sure.

As soon as you get the shipping notification you will be able to access the bonus page buy looking up the part number of the item on your invoice, this will be the password.
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

txshepherd
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of txshepherd
Released and taking orders (ships within 24 hrs)
http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/the-switch......lS_vDVhw
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2014-02-11 15:09, writeall wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-11 02:19, Chessmann wrote:
"Jannes, I was edited out earlier in this topic. Remember that you are a magician, so dump on other magicians no matter what the cost. And remember - blame any "Switch" pre-order delays on Moses."

I'd kill to have even the smallest fraction of Yul Brynner's stage presence.

As long as you kill only the first-born, your wish will be granted. Smile
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I'd love to hear a real review from a real user.
KJ
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2014-02-11 15:54, Saturn UK wrote:

Is that the MF method?
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
I really, and truly hope that this is as clean as the trailer looks, and is easy to do, and comes with whatever you need. But, if it isn't, I'm going to laugh, SO HARD, at anyone that pre-ordered this.
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Quote:
On 2014-02-11 23:39, saysold1 wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-11 15:54, Saturn UK wrote:

Is that the MF method?

I must admit I forgot to put that on the page as I had given you all that tip already, thanks for reminding me, I'll add it on now as not everyone will have seen that tip!
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:
On 2014-02-01 17:40, Sean Fields wrote:
Okay. Back on topic...

I have been shown the inner workings of 'The Switch'. It is what I suspected it to be. Do not consider this a review, as I have not actually seen the DVD, held the gimmicks Shin provides, etc. I just know how it works, and have made it and played with it.

What you are seeing in the video(s) accurately represents the method. That is EXACTLY what 'The Switch' looks like. I don't think there is any funny business going on with the video, because there doesn't need to be. It really does look that good. It really is essentially angleproof. It really does what it says on the box. Really. Truly. Honestly.

Again, I can't speak on the product itself, its production quality, or value. I can only speak of the method, which I believe to be f&^king genius.

None of you need to take my word for it. Some of you will buy it, some won't. I suspect those that do, however, will be pleasantly surprised.
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
gtx magic
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom England
956 Posts

Profile of gtx magic
I think you are right Steve.The gimmick that comes with is what shin as included in the dvd is to get you started for practising with. but you will have to make your own gimmick up to use in performance which ive been told is easy to do:

So I think Shin will be having the last Laugh on all of his critics,which he understands why he as had his critics. ( me included )

But like your self I cant vouch 100% on it as I have not pesonally seen the Dvd.

Graham
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
paw
View Profile
Loyal user
265 Posts

Profile of paw
The Switch Releases Today!
EddieM
View Profile
Regular user
Experienced but only
172 Posts

Profile of EddieM
Mine just shipped today from MJM Magic. Now let's hope it's worth all the hype!
- EddieM
S-Branham
View Profile
Elite user
Folsom, CA
456 Posts

Profile of S-Branham
Just played with it and watched the DVD.

clever idea - I will have to road test it to see how practical it really is.

Penguin Magic has it in stock and shipping.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3991
Suux88
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of Suux88
Quote:
On 2014-02-12 14:39, S-Branham wrote:
Just played with it and watched the DVD.

clever idea - I will have to road test it to see how practical it really is.

Penguin Magic has it in stock and shipping.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3991

any comments about the "controversial" demo video

angles?

noise?

practicality?
S-Branham
View Profile
Elite user
Folsom, CA
456 Posts

Profile of S-Branham
Penguin Magic just moved it to PENGUIN FLAT-PACKâ„¢ (World-wide free shipping)
EricDraven
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of EricDraven
I sooo wish this is finally gold...

:spinningcoin: Smile Smile

:worry:
Believe me...nothing is trivial...
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
328 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
Hey everyone - I wanted to give an unbiased opinion of this (good and bad). Yes, even though I represent MJM Magic, I still will always give you my honest opinion on an item and not just try to fluff it up. (If it's crap, I will tell you). I have watched the ENTIRE DVD and here are my thoughts.

First off, this is very VISUAL. What you see on the trailer is exactly how it looks like. It's an ultra visual switch which happens even if the spectator is burning your hands. It looks like trick photography, but it really does look like that in person.

Like many Shin Lim releases, you are required to construct your own gimmick. So if you don't mind a little arts and crafts, then it's not that big of a deal. You will need some tape, scissors, magicians wax, and rubber cement. He provides everything else you will need.

There are easy and hard ways to pull off this effect. The EASY way is to force a card which you pre-setup ahead of time. That is the only way I'd recommend a beginner to perform (or someone who is still building up their magic confidence) because it doesn't require you to load anything in real-time.

However, there is a more advanced handling where you can have the spectator choose ANY CARD (no force) and you can still pull this off. This is the way most magicians will choose to perform it (and honestly, it's not that hard). You literally have the spectator pick any card they want......you take it and have them sign it. You then make the card disappear in any fashion you want, and then make it reappear using the switch.

The SWITCH itself is exactly as you see in the demo. You literally reach down to pick up the card, and the switch is that clean.

ANGLES: Your angles are very good with this. I can see this working with spectators surrounding you, with no real problems with angles or lighting.

CLEAN UP: Very easy, and you can give the card away as a souvenier. At first, when I watched the DVD, it didn't appear that you will be able to give the card away because it would require you to give them a dirty card.......but if you hang with the explanation, you will see that Shin Lim describes how to end clean.

That leads me into the PROS and CONS of the DVD:

PROS:

1. Very visual. Whether you switch this out on a table, or on a borrowed cell phone, it's almost FREAKY how clean it looks. You will fool yourself!

2. Easy to carry around. The gimmick can be carried with you and loaded into any deck (of matching back design).

3. Effect can be repeated with different cards (good for table hopping).

4. Unlike other Shin effects, you do not need to be sitting to perform it!

5. He does go over many different vanishes and ways to get ready to perform the switch.

6. Gimmick should last you a long time.

CONS:

1. As with usual Shin Lim style, I find in INCREDIBLY REPETITIVE. Shin means well, but he talks.....a LOT. And he ends up repeating things over and over again. Perhaps this is just my own pet peeve, and others won't find it as annoying, but I think the DVD could have been a lot shorter and more concise by cutting out a lot of talking. Again, just my own pet peeve here.

2. Does require constructing your own gimmick. It would have been nice to already have one pre-made, but perhaps that would have made the cost go higher. On the flip side, because you make your own gimmick, you have the freedom to do it with your favorite card design, and you can make multiple gimmicks for backup purposes.

3. During the construction portion of the DVD, he is not using the cards that he's talking about. For example, he will say "You have been given this such-and-such card in the deck.....which I am NOT using here, but just pretend that I am." It's not THAT big of a deal, but I wondered why not just use the same kinds of cards that you provided in the set? And why do you tell us repeatedly that you are using different cards when it's obvious? See point #1 above about repetition.

That being said, for $30.00, I think it's well worth it for what you get: a long instructional DVD and the essential parts needed to make the gimmick.

We do have these in stock at MJM Magic in case you would like to purchase with us. If you appreciate my review and honestly, I'd be grateful for your business! Otherwise, feel free to purchase from your favorite source.
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
dman11
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1068 Posts

Profile of dman11
Thank you Jeff_Mash !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » THE SWITCH by Shin Lim (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19..29~30~31 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL