The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » THE SWITCH by Shin Lim (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..22~23~24~25~26..29~30~31 [Next]
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
How depressing. There really is no excuse for this. With the coming of the digital age, the cost of non destructive editing is peanuts. How long would it take to plan an instructional video for just one trick/gimmick? Probably an hour or two. How long to script it? Depends; but editing is cheap and easy these days. I'm surprised that someone who shows such dedication to finesse in their own performance thinks so very little of their customers when it comes to releasing DVD's. Sad.

Incidentally, does he still say "pretty much" all the time?
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On 2014-02-17 07:38, IAIN wrote:
So is it genuinely any good? has anyone actually performed this for people?

what are the space restrictions/angles? how adaptable to other objects is it please?

what are its benefits over say paperclipped or a simple annemann one handed s**tch? even a bobo...

cheers

In answer to your first question, No.

Re. angles, they are the same as a coin in ramsey, if you get what I mean...

The benefits over paperclipped or something like 'The Box' are difficult to say and come down to individual preferences. Switched looks a little cleaner than paper clipped but is not as practical IMO. It is more comparable with 'The Box' which is clean and self contained and more practical than 'Switched'. As of yet I'm undecided if I'll use it or not.

Now as for using it with other things, that is where this could provide the most use for me. It is perfect for switching a tabled dummy billet in the cleanest possible way and at the moment, that's where I see it's value.
Austin Fields
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Austin Fields
Quote:
On 2014-02-17 07:38, IAIN wrote:
So is it genuinely any good? has anyone actually performed this for people?

what are the space restrictions/angles? how adaptable to other objects is it please?

what are its benefits over say paperclipped or a simple annemann one handed s**tch? even a bobo...

cheers

So here's my preliminary review, I hope it helps anyone who's still considering this.

I have not performed this for people yet, I don't think there are many people who would be able to competently perform this for a group and gauge an accurate reaction quite yet. What I mean is, even with the gimmick, this isn't incredibly easy. Then again it is Shin Lim and he has set a precedent with his previous sleight of hand releases.

---------------------------------------------
Q: Adapting it to any object?
A: I would say you can adapt it to anything you can comfortably hold in FP, as semi-evident in the trailer.

Q:Space restrictions?
A: Hopefully I'm interpreting this correctly. You can do this virtually everywhere, and virtually surrounded. "Virtually" because we've all been Murphy's law'd into a scenario where a tried and trusted trick is somehow rendered undoable. Outside of that I can think of minor changes that would adapt it to all the scenarios I can think of.
Shin does it off a table and out of a spectators hand in the demos. If you don't have a table use hands, if they don't have hands don't taunt them by doing signed card tricks.

That leads me to what I think the advantages are (and why I bought it) & disadvantages.

ADVANTAGES:
- To me, the main advantage is when the switch takes place. This switch happens AS you pick up the prediction and moved it so everyone can see it. The motivation is inherent and everyone can attest to the efficacy of Ascanio's 'In Transit' actions.

-You don't have to clean up until AFTER the effect is over. After the prediction is open and the effect completes.

-The other advantages are the amount of "retention" you get on the card before and after the switch. The method allows you to slow down and really take your time selling the validity of such a pivotal moment in the routine.

-The gimmick does do a great bit of work for you, both in amount of work, but also in quality.

Disadvantages:
-There is a set up, and you have a gimmick floating around in the deck. An accurate comparison to this gimmmick would be Blake Vogt's Regeneration gimmick. In other words, it's really not a hinderance, but you will have to be aware it's there. You can do it multiple times a night. If it's a gig where there's no time between tables, just have multiple gimmicks made. If you've got a little time, you can reset it in about 10 seconds, it's just not the kind of setup you do while introducing yourself to the next table. (if you know what I mean.)

-As mentioned, the DVD could have benefitted from a director...and a script?

-Due to the nature of the gimmick, once the card is signed and returned - you are pretty much locked in to completing the effect. I was hoping to do a couple ambitious phases, and I think I can work around it, but it's going to take a little bit of routining. Can't say much more without risking exposure of the gimmick.

OVERALL:
Take a look at the live performance, if you find yourself in that scenario often, then you have the best environment for this. If you work mainly restaurants, consider what I said in the disadvantages. This will be tough for you. This is mainly built for a formal close-up show, or something to pull out for the birthday person.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RAPID FINAL BULLETS:
·If you need to switch something in plain view at the last possible moment before you hold it up and show it, this is great.
·If you're picking up a billet to hand to someone else, there's better switches.
·If they're handing you something and you want to switch it out, this isn't for you either.
·This is a direct method for doing exactly what Shin does with it. He had a vision of a clean mystery card, this does that extremely well. Beautiful work Shin!
·This isn't a revolutionary method for switching anything anytime. The method isn't so clever it'll blow you away. This is a routine and method of Shin's to accomplish the effect shown to his specifications, and to fool laypeople. You can use this for other things, but it's designed for what you see.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING: I can see two types of people this won't work for, and I owe it to you to tell you.

1)If you have the kind of close-up style that people are comfortable trying to catch you out and flip cards over, this isn't really for you. If you maintain kind of a "professional distance" from your audience, and they usually sit quietly and politely comply (where are you and are there openings?) then this can work for you. To put it another way, The gimmick can be tipped quickly in the right phase for the wrong crowd.

2) You need to be fairly competent in sleight of hand. If you're not great with cards, this routine is going to be difficult. This is the kind of effect where tough sleights and gimmicks meet to create something incredible.

Final Thoughts:
I really like this product. I had high expectations and was ready to be let down by something pivotal, but there isn't any limitation that isn't shown in both the studio and/or live performance. It is how it looks. Advantages and disadvantages, obviously it's not real magic. There are slight angle 'sensitivities', but if you've been doing close-up sleight of hand longer than ~4 years, you've probably done a routine that has tougher angles. They're easily covered.

Obviously the studio performance is a PERFECT version of the effect, but the way methods are guessed at on forums, or downloaded off YouTube and watched frame by frame, I can't fault Shin for trying to bring a flawless version to the table. Shin seems to have learned and innovated from his previous deceptions. I really appreciated seeing "How it COULD look" studio version close up, and the "How it will look MOST of the time" live performance from further away. I got a good idea of what I was buying, and I respect his right to not give the method away before I purchase it.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Great review Austin. I agree completely.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4151 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On 2014-02-17 06:56, Sashac wrote:
Just got this, watching now. All I can say (for now) is that the dvd is the most confusing thing I have ever watched in my life. Don't worry, this is just so you can see how it works, use this version throughout.
he then makes the "real version" and half way through he says: I'll only make half of it, so you can see how this works. It's so much worse than it sounds.
I like that you have 2 viewing angles at the same time, that's good. Method is the first thing you would have ever thought of, he just added a tiny convincer.
Music is annoying as well. Please, from now on, written instructions!

Bang on I am watching it now and LOSING THE WILL TO LIVE, confused or what and tha bloody music is driving me round the bend and it looks like it has to be a forced card? well I am so confused trying to watch it,why a split screen aswell when it could of just been close up,i don't know.Ive brought SENSES and hope to have better luck when I watch it.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
So, on a scale of 1 to 10, how smug should I be feeling for not having ordered it? ('1' being not smug at all, '10' being smugger than Simon Cowell looking at his bank balance.)
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1073 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Quote:
On 2014-02-17 09:55, Austin Fields wrote:

...if they don't have hands don't taunt them by doing signed card tricks.

Made me laugh. One of the best reviews I've read Austin! I like your review format - very helpful and covers everything.
EddieM
View Profile
Regular user
Experienced but only
172 Posts

Profile of EddieM
Good review, Austin! I purchased the effect, and for the most part, I agree with everything you said. I look forward to your other product reviews!
- EddieM
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
My smugness is now cruising at 11/10.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2716 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On 2014-02-17 11:10, tomsk192 wrote:
So, on a scale of 1 to 10, how smug should I be feeling for not having ordered it? ('1' being not smug at all, '10' being smugger than Simon Cowell looking at his bank balance.)

It is a very nice effect and is as advertised IMO. Will take some skills to pull it off.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Okay, that's good to hear, sir.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Even Tomski's cat went 11/10:

My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Ahahahahaha

(taken just before I put him in the stir-fry) Smile
drphil
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of drphil
Some one should write out his instructions in an coherant way then you could watch the DVD
With the sound off. The main complaint of most who have reviewed this has little to do with the effect and more about Shins teaching style, and the annoying background music.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Now it sounds like an item that would be suitable for a magazine. Those were the days, eh?
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2014-02-17 12:38, drphil wrote:
Some one should write out his instructions in an coherant way then you could watch the DVD
With the sound off. The main complaint of most who have reviewed this has little to do with the effect and more about Shins teaching style, and the annoying background music.

SMH. Shall we add "frustrating Shin Lim dvd instructions" to "death" and "taxes"? Smile

Kind of makes me look forward to his next release, simply in anticipation of how the instructional DVD is viewed Smile

Seriously, I do wish the guy all the best in his future endeavors.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4151 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
The main complaint of most who have reviewed this has little to do with the effect and more about Shins teaching style, and the annoying background music.

Quite agree there,i just watched SENSES by Christopher Wiehl and it's streets ahead more concisive with the instructions.I will watch the Switch again later with EAR PLUGS IN,lol.
TheMagicalMan
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of TheMagicalMan
Hi, can this be used in " FRENCH KISS " ?

Thanks.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10616 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2014-02-17 12:38, drphil wrote:

That seems to be consistent on his releases. For some odd reason he doesn't seem to want to get help from the pros at Theory 11, Ellusionist, Vanishing Inc, Paul Harris, etc etc. So many really good & creative producers out there that probably could kick him up some notches and add that extra polish.

Every great actor needs a talented director - every top athlete needs a good coach.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10616 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2014-02-17 13:07, TheMagicalMan wrote:

Hi, can this be used in " FRENCH KISS " ?

Thanks.

Why would you want to use in French Kiss? French uses a simple DL with no MF needed?
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » THE SWITCH by Shin Lim (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..22~23~24~25~26..29~30~31 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL