The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » THE SWITCH by Shin Lim (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..24~25~26~27~28~29~30~31 [Next]
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
Changing the world with my
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On 2014-02-18 14:42, ash2arani wrote:
The absence of a 'box' is not a selling point for me; in fact, it is problematic. Audience members will remember that the performer handled the mystery card before the reveal. They will not know what happened but they will remember. One might argue that they will not when done on the offbeat, but hey, the mystery card is important so all attention is on it and when they backtrack, many will remember that it was touched.

Also, when there is no box, I feel the trick quickly becomes how did the performer change the card (whether they remember the moment or not) to mine.

The 'box' (especially in the likes of Clarity Box and Fob), not only is a clean display, but also shows a clear path from the box to the spectator without the performer touching it. Touching the card directly can imply sleight of hand even when none is seen. The 'box' implies no sleight of hand possible. The Switch, like Paperclipped, is not hands-off in the eyes of the spectator relative to the box versions out there. It is all about psychology. Smile

Agree totally and the effect that Shin demos tells any intelligent spec that a switch happened, add to this the performer touching the card and it doesn't matter how good the switch looks, the spec just knows a switch happened.

Prediction type effects would be better imo. How about you have a blue backed mystery card on the table. Then you have a pack of blue backed cards but with some red backs on the top. Show the cards face up and have one picked (not a red back!). You can then prep this for the switch whilst confirming to the spec that they have picked a card from a red backed deck and you have a blue backed mystery card.

Then do the switch and show them that your prediction matches.

A switch is counter intuitive because of the different backs.

They key thing is that, for me, to get the best out of this kind of tool you should not be having the spec go anywhere near the concept of a switch.
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
No sure I agree with that, there were many on here saying the demo was fake as no switch could have taken place, but it does so it would not be obvious there was a switch.

I don't favour one method or the other I love some of the boxes, I think Paperclipped is good, The switch is another great addition to those already on the market.

It really depends what you want from a routine, do you want to use gimmicked boxes and props etc

If you like the boxes I won't say you are wrong for doing so I have the Clarity Box and The Box and will continue to use both, but this will also get used.

This could even be combined so it's the card on the table then it vanishes and is the card in the box, lots of possibilities.
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On 2014-02-18 15:16, Saturn UK wrote:
No sure I agree with that, there were many on here saying the demo was fake as no switch could have taken place, but it does so it would not be obvious there was a switch.

I don't favour one method or the other I love some of the boxes, I think Paperclipped is good, The switch is another great addition to those already on the market.

It really depends what you want from a routine, do you want to use gimmicked boxes and props etc

If you like the boxes I won't say you are wrong for doing so I have the Clarity Box and The Box and will continue to use both, but this will also get used.

This could even be combined so it's the card on the table then it vanishes and is the card in the box, lots of possibilities.

I think people were saying the demo was faked because it was clear that a switch must have taken place but they couldn't see it.

The key point being that the effect screams "switch".

Just to be clear, I am not criticising Shims method, just the idea of using it for the trick demoed. I'd have the same issue with Clarity Box being used like this as well.

You are in effect just saying "I've used my skills to swap these two cards and you don't know how" . That's just a puzzle imo rather than magic.
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Last call for the free extra bonus card that we have been supplying with The Switch offer ends midnight today UK time.

Why; they take time to make and I have made loads in the past week!

Our bonus page tells you how to do them easily so no real issue for anyone buying this.

http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic/t......im-.html
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

The Russian Mentalist
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of The Russian Mentalist
Mark Traversoni thanks so much for answering my question. I very much appreciate it. It is exactly what I needed to know while at the same time still having no clue to the method. Cheers! Vlad
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Been seeing these pop up for sale. Sellers could not have had it for more than a few days. Perhaps these were just curiosity seekers. Is this not the ultimate switch everyone was expecting it to be? Yet another in a very long line of magic hype?

Should I reconsider purchasing?

Thanks
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
I liked Paperclip, the Kennedy Box and the such but feedback was either was with the Clip that was when you did it, and/or the box did it for you. People remembered the prop and/or the clip.

This looks more like what real magic would be like, which is what we are after itn't it.

However, you could make an argument saying it is too clean and/or impossible. Remember Mike Skinner's Ultimate 3 Card Monte where in two of the sequences it was so impossble that it was recommmended to move a card and/or touch a card just to give the spectator a sense of something magicial happened then.

Again, I as others will see this as a preference choice, ultimately the decision is yours to make which one you perform and how you want it to play. I try to look at it from the magicial standpoint from the spectator's eyes.

We as magicians are always over analyzing everything.

Notice this is marketed as "The Cleanest Switch" as in cleanest looking.
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Wondering why Im seeing it for sale already
drphil
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of drphil
Lets see you take a signed card out of a box or envelope or remove a paperclip and you don't think that because you didn't touch the card. They can't figure the moment you made the switch even though before you grab for the prop you can't show you're hands empty. IMHO using a prop screams switch. The spectator will always know a switch must have taken place the trick is to do it as impossible and clean as possible. That's why some like the box or the clarity box. But with the Switch no props are evident. If you could perform real magic would you need a prop. And a key part of the deception is you can show you're hands empty before unfolding the card. How many magicians were fooled by Paperclipped you knew what happened and when but it was so clever and sneaky. With the switch you were fooled. What's funny is now everyone is saying it's to clean so you must have switched the card. Just goes to show you can't please everyone.
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Im all for advancements, but Sankey's method is more than fine. Magician's guilt seems to be the real culprit here.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Well there is such a thing as too clean I would agree - not saying this is.

When I do CSB with my Johnson set I always knock my fists into each other so it seems like slight of hand rather than pure magic. Just my preference.

Has anyone thought of a way to use this in a Mentalism premise?
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
drphil
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of drphil
When I first saw Paperclipped I knew the moment the switch happened what got me was how did he fold the card without me catching it. That was of course before I knew of the M-C fold. You also have the same with the Switch the card goes into the middle of the deck next thing you see it is now a folded card. Use the tip from Mark and you will have a perfectly folded card right under their nose.
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Brett, like this:

Quote:
On 2014-02-17 17:04, Dan McLean wrote:
My version of The Switch? Put a folded BILLET on the table. Chat amiably with the spec. Ask her who her first love was. Where was their first date. Then after a bit pluck the billet off the table and with squeeky clean hands and no false moves open the billet. Her name, her first loves' name and where their first date was is on it. If you're a fan of John Riggs, Banachek, Cassidy etc, you know exactly what I did. It's easy (for me) , no pesky MCF to worry about and reset takes 10 to 15 seconds. There is no sleight of hand method I know that can match that because with sleight of hand you're forced to do it at exactly the wrong time - when everyone is is burning you. I really don't care how good you think you are. Doing a move when you're burned is not smart. With The Switch, no problem.

I will say I was worried at first. A billet lacks certain properties that a playing card has. If you own The Switch, you know what I mean. Using billets, you have to adjust. I do not drop the billet on the table after The Switch. That shows breathtaking optimism. Mirror work showed me the correct angles. I puck it off the table, unfold it and hand it out. Easy peasy.

D
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
Zhang
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Zhang
Quote:
On 2014-02-18 20:15, drphil wrote:
When I first saw Paperclipped I knew the moment the switch happened what got me was how did he fold the card without me catching it. That was of course before I knew of the M-C fold. You also have the same with the Switch the card goes into the middle of the deck next thing you see it is now a folded card. Use the tip from Mark and you will have a perfectly folded card right under their nose.

It does not even come close,Jay's Paperclip is soo much better than the switch; seriuosly the switch is not even that practical, you even have to force one of the G*****k cards, no need to do that in Jay's Paperclip,unless you want to do a combination of the dark card with the actual routine as I usually do, otherwise no G*****k involved . I honestly think that Shin fell in love with the switch just to play with it and do that action that we the ones that's watched the dvd has seen, he does it a lot, he loves it and I admit it looks good , but too much hassel to get there compared with Paperclip, it does not even come close IMHO Paperclip wins by far.

I'll be posting my copy in the forsale forum tomorrow.

My two cent.
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
Me and shin have had our differences...but this is sooo ****ing good!
Practical, invisible, and true to the trailer, BRAVO SHIN!! BRAVO!!
JM
drphil
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of drphil
Zhang: To each their own, but IMHO Paperclipped is good but not as good as the Switch. Don't sale it to soon work with it learn the moves practice the handeling and then if you don't like it you will at least have given it a chance. To me Papperclipped and the Switch are almost the same. Theirfore I see the Switch as an advance as it eliminates the prop. The Switch is invisible when handled correctly and with practice is no hassel.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On 2014-02-18 22:14, Justin N. Miller wrote:
JM

Luckily for Shin my order is already in because your recommendation would have been the death knell for my interest in this.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On 2014-02-19 01:16, Ray Chelt wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-18 22:14, Justin N. Miller wrote:
JM

Luckily for Shin my order is already in because your recommendation would have been the death knell for my interest in this.

Agreed!
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
Lol, you guys know how to make a girl feel good..ahhh!
JM
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Zhang there is no need to force a card you are focusing on the easy version, the version shown in the demo has any card selected.

When you have the easy version down moving onto the advanced version is the next logical step and then you have the impossible a very practical method.

The easy version is still practical, it's not as practical as carrying around a paper clipped card but IMO this is more magical and less obvious when the switch took place.
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » THE SWITCH by Shin Lim (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..24~25~26~27~28~29~30~31 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL