The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » THE SWITCH by Shin Lim (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..27~28~29~30~31 [Next]
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1457 Posts

Profile of Darkness
I will say its actually not bad. His description on how to make the gimmick is shot with a two camera setup. Straight and to the point.

Very minimal arts and crafts.

The moment of the switch does look that good and you show your hands completely empty and that's the killer. It's dirty but it doesn't have to be self working.
Its gaffed to the max but the switch is almost invisible it looks great. It looks magical!! (next to my unicorn Smile
Not so sure if the lining up is an issue at all (you don't hand it out right away or let them stare at it long but they can take a decent look).

It would fly under the radar for the most part.

Its genius just for the gaff idea. Presentation and marketing aside.
I'm not going to use it, but it doesn't mean its not great thinking or a winner.

If you bought it and can't get your monies worth because of the trailer then you are just not seeing the potential of this gaff idea.
Marketing and ethics discussion is a different topic for me and has been talked to death already. I'm not interested in wasting negative energy in that arena.
Merlin
View Profile
Veteran user
Palmerton, Pa
362 Posts

Profile of Merlin
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2014, insight wrote:
Carl,

As well, you indicate you have "written reviews many moons ago, when I felt the need to." That sounds like a false statement. You joined the Magic Café on February 4th, 2014---this month. Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On Feb 24, 2014, CarlMcCoy wrote:
Hi Brett. Yes I have written some reviews many moons ago, when I felt the need to. Whether they were helpful or not is impossible to say of course.

As for this effect, there's enough information for people I would have thought, but asking for less reviews would be a stupid thing to do, wouldn't it? Not really sure why you typed that.

Maybe he was under a different name many moons ago. Smile
q.mark
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of q.mark
Quote:

That or there must be other sites or magazines where one can post a review
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1263 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2014, q.mark wrote:
Quote:

q.mark:

Your newbie sarcasm is not welcome here. It's a fact that even some well-known members of this forum have changed their names/accounts here over the last ten years or so.

If you expect anyone here to pay your posts any respect and attention, you'd do better to be helpful and contributive rather than smirky and annoying.

Steve H
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Austin Fields
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Austin Fields
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2014, Joaquin wrote:
Boy there is some nasty new members here letting their Ego show their nails.

Chill out guys there is nothing to prove in here. We are all friends.

Unfortunately it's not just the new members, there's been quite a bit of venom in this thread. We are all friends and it's a shame to see a community, who united over their love for magic, draw deep lines in the sand.

Back on topic, nobody's answered some of these questions so I'll do my best to answer them. (And do a little moderating in the process.)
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

magicbyswh,
Unfortunately, China's copyright laws are...shady at best. International copyright is difficult and expensive to enforce, and magic seems to be the latest victim of this long-standing problem.
(Disclaimer: I'm not a legal expert, this is how it was explained to me.)

CarlMcCoy,
I'm really confused as to why you attacked saysold. If you thought there were enough reviews, couldn't you have ignored any further reviews? Not only did the sudden criticism seem unprovoked, it was unfair and extremely rude. Rhetorical questions are demeaning and quite frankly, it's not up to you. If saysold asks for more reviews, he's allowed to do so without being harassed for doing so. I ask you to extend the same respect I will extend to you and all the other people on this forum, please.

insight,
While I agree that credibility is a huge help, he is not required to provide you with anything. It's very imperious to demand he prove himself to you. I'm not sure if that was your intent but it is how it reads. Integrity is a big deal in communication and in magic, and maybe you were just going to saysold's aid (which is likely) but this community won't survive if we don't lend credit to a person's word until they prove undeserving of it.

However, I believe one of the biggest culprits in misleading the magic community are those who we rely so heavily on their credibility, that they just slap a quote and their name on their friend's product. Most everything in my "magic props/fancy drink coasters" drawer, are products I bought on faith, recommendation, and their previous candor. It's about time we start looking for less promises, and more proof.

Saysold1,
I tried to cover all the bases with my review earlier, and I can see how it comes off as almost totally ambiguous. I will try to be succinct:
I should have ended with something like this; this product is polar. It's not like many gimmicked effects that have been released in the last several years; the gimmick doesn't facilitate most of the effect.
The gimmick will get you across the finish line of a marathon with grace, beauty, and prestige. It will aid you in the final, crucial, steps to completing the race. The only drawback is that you have a whole race to run and a lot of work to do before you get there.

Some believe (myself included) that this is the most direct way to do the effect shown. As mentioned in this thread, it's not the most creative nor the easiest.
- If you're looking for something innovative to admire but you (honestly) planned on shelving it unless it was the holy grail - Then avoid this. You'll be disappointed in the method.
- If you're a hobbiest who loves to practice but rarely performs - this probably isn't for you. It's not difficult enough to be a fun challenge for your skills, nor is it something you can really enjoy in a mirror or with magic buddies. It's only validated in front of a lay audience.
- If you're a mentalist looking for a switch, there's better switches for mentalism.
- Are you comfortable with difficult moves? Palming? Copping? Simple misdirection(no need to be Tommy Wonder.)? Do you perform regularly? You might enjoy this.

Overall, this is purely a performance piece. It's like going commando to a formal event; the enjoyment is getting away with it while nobody suspects a thing. If there are people there that are 'in the know', you'll get a lot of strange looks and all your movements begin to look really tense and awkward. If you're by yourself it'll get boring, everything's too familiar. Odds are if you've been messing about long enough, you'll have explored similar moves/ideas already and you've either discarded them or you've got a regular routine with them.
Innuendos aside, if you have the environment, the skills, the (practice) time, and the gaul to make this feasible - take into consideration what I've said. If you still want it, get it. I really enjoy it.

magicmarkworldwide2,
I agree that magic products tend to over-promise and underdeliver. I'm also not afraid to lay into a product I feel deserves it, but I actually got exactly what I believed I paid for with this. The production could use some help but it did exactly what I expected it to do. Although I will say that this is a product people either love or hate, and I don't feel I'm alone in saying I knew it would be one or the other right after watching it. In many cases I would side with you 100%, but this is actually a product that sits right on the edge and I think you'll have a hard time finding someone who doesn't see how it could be one man's trash and another's treasure.

________________________________________________________________________________

Steve Hook,
I'm not sure if you have previous experience with q.mark, and if you do then excuse my ignorance. I honestly didn't read any sarcasm in q.mark's post, and (granted I'm new) I didn't know people had changed their names. Again, I have no prior experience with q.mark, and I'm not coming to his aid. I'm just trying to give him a fair shake.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Everyone,
I apologize if this post has come off as some type of ethical/white knight crap, that's not the intent. I had been a lurker on these forums for years before I made an account, and even after making an account I rarely post unless I feel I can really contribute something to the conversation. This forum, and many of the people in this thread, have given advice to others not knowing I would read it and it would help me pursue an art that I love. I can't tell you how helpful this forum, this art, and this community has been to me.
All of that awesomeness weighs heavily on how negative these forums can become, and this thread is an extreme example (not a precedent, I hope). I posted a light hearted review about this effect because I thought I had something to contribute, but also because I felt like people were two posts away from bringing Shin's morals and family into this (I'm only kind of exaggerating).
I understand there's a lot of passion on this forum, and that's awesome. I'm still fairly certain if some jerk knocked the cards out of my hands at a bar during a convention, I wouldn't be alone in the bar fight. There used to be an overall sense of "Live and let Live" (for the most part) in the magic brotherhood. If you didn't agree with someone's philosophy, you simply agreed to disagree, knowing that the spectators would prove who was right.
I hope it'll be like that again, instead of these vicious arguments and insults. I used to know that no matter where I went in the world, if I found my way to a magic shop, I would be welcomed like it was my local shop. No matter how different our appearance, our cultures, or our languages; we had a lot in common. Not just our love for cards or coins... something at our core.
Somehow we've adopted some sort of dogma in our culture, and we've done nothing but turn on each other. As if we're only able to see other magicians in a bad light, like they're the root of all of magic's problems.
Maybe I see a bigger picture, or maybe I'm an ignorant punk. I just see the things that make us similar as bigger, and more important, than the things that make us different. If you want my opinion on your magic, I'll give it to you. If you want advice or criticism, I won't go easy on you. But I can tell you one thing; even though we haven't met, if you're reading this - I wish you all the success and happiness possible in our art.

And in the spirit of that; May your classic force hit every time. May your performance of The Trick That Cannot Be Explained be a single phase. May your sleeving be flawless and your spectators obedient.
May your next heckler stutter! May your coin catch the light at the last second of your retention vanish! May your dove bag be guided to your thumbs like magnetic thumb tips!
May you never be asked to levitate or put a card through a window again! May all your cold reads hit and your best outs be chosen!
May you walk this path and never feel alone.

Cheers,
Austin
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Oh god, not another one that thinks they know what's best for everyone. It seems we get a new one every month now.

Thankfully they don't last long
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1278 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2014, Steve Hook wrot
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2014, q.mark wrote:
Quote:

q.mark:

Your newbie sarcasm is not welcome here. It's a fact that even some well-known members of this forum have changed their names/accounts here over the last ten years or so.

If you expect anyone here to pay your posts any respect and attention, you'd do better to be helpful and contributive rather than smirky and annoying.

Steve H

Think you've misread qmarks post Steve..so easy to do when you are in a rush to an argument.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2014, Sean Giles wrote:
Oh god, not another one that thinks they know what's best for everyone. It seems we get a new one every month now.

Thankfully they don't last long

You negative git. Don't post before you've had morning coffee. I'm sure Austin's a lovely guy Smile
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1263 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Q.mark, Austin, and Ray:

My bad. Looks like I took that the wrong way. I apologize.

- Steve
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Steve04050
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Steve04050
Ok, quick background. I'm an auditor by day, but magician/musician by night. Been playing a variety of instruments since the age of 5. Also big into magic since then. Made my way through the David Blaine Street Magic era, used all the trick decks, tried everything from David Stone to Alexander Kholle (sp)

I HAD to sign up on here because I recently won an amazon gift card from work, and what better to buy than "The Switch." I will honestly say that in front of a mirror, and my skeptical wife, this switch looks convincing. Left a touch dirty but as many reviews state, you're no longer chased. I only made the basic gimmick, but Shin teaches how to make it so it looks ungodly convincing.

And, although I've skimmed these forums before buying many tricks, I realize this may come to hurt me, but I honestly don't believe the first cut from the trailer is legitimate. My favorite move is switching one card color to another using the "switch." That clip from the trailer is exactly what you get. The first clip is unfortunately undoable based on what he teaches, although he keeps saying "I got lucky during the trailer." However, this is still worth the money, and I commend him for making me spend my amazon gift card on him. I could've bought anything else, but this will definitely go into the bar tricks I do. Way too visual, way too impressive.

That's all for my first post on here. Hope I don't get eaten alive. PM me if you have a question other than "what's the secret." I'd be happy to persuade you into buying it. Additionally, if you list things you fear about the trick, I will be glad to talk you out of it, as you should only get this if it's up your alley.

Thanks,
Steve
emptysafe
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of emptysafe
Looks just perfect....But is it practical?
If you don't want to miss out what's happening on cafe & magic videos...check this:
http://magicdigest.herokuapp.com/
drphil
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of drphil
Some have the Box some use the Fob others use a paperclip or envelope. All of these items offer a more practical s***** for the magician because the prop in use aids in the move. However what is more magical? Seemingly an empty hand picking up a card that has been on view from the beginning with no prop. Until this day you still have magicians that think he had to fake the demo even after they have seen the live demo of him doing the same moves.

This will take practice this is not self working Shin's card skills are awesome and he is a very creative thinker. Some want their magic handed it to them ready to go. Some have written here that they were going to sale it after watching the DVD and not even willing to put any time in to learn the workings. If you don't like the method for the Switch then fine it's not for you but I doubt you will ever see a cleaner way to s***** out a card in view using no apperant props.
Steve04050
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Steve04050
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2014, emptysafe wrote:
Looks just perfect....But is it practical?

Very practical in one method. The switch itself will fool even yourself in the mirror. However, I spent 3 hours practicing it just to get it right last night, and it was well worth the time spent.
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
725 Posts

Profile of ftlum
"s*****"? The title of the effect and this thread is SWITCH!
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
1278 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2014, drphil wrote:
Some have the Box some use the Fob others use a paperclip or envelope. All of these items offer a more practical s***** for the magician because the prop in use aids in the move. However what is more magical? Seemingly an empty hand picking up a card that has been on view from the beginning with no prop. Until this day you still have magicians that think he had to fake the demo even after they have seen the live demo of him doing the same moves.

This will take practice this is not self working Shin's card skills are awesome and he is a very creative thinker. Some want their magic handed it to them ready to go. Some have written here that they were going to sale it after watching the DVD and not even willing to put any time in to learn the workings. If you don't like the method for the Switch then fine it's not for you but I doubt you will ever see a cleaner way to s***** out a card in view using no apperant props.

For Me the demo was "mimed".

Nothing was left out and you saw everything a spectator would see if the trick was performed perfectly, sort of like when a singer mimes to their own song.

But what's telling in the teaching DVD is how much concentration Shin puts into folding the chosen card before demoing the Switch..And yet in real life a MCF is supposed to get the job done?

So we are then left with the simple version where you visibly fold up the chosen card, vanish it and miraculously it switches with the tabled card, the card only you are able to touch, which sort of leads the spectator to an obvious conclusion no matter how slick the switch.

The complicated , counter intuitive method that is demoed is hugely impractical for me, and for most people it seems. The simple method you could do without the Switch gimmicks.

Incidentally, in the live version I thought he 100% covers the card when the s####### happens, it looks nothing like the demo.
drphil
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of drphil
Ray : how many ways do you have to teach the MCF. The moves are basic it just requires practice like I stated if you feel the Switch is not for you fine. Complicated is in the eye of the beholder some think the same about a lot of card sleights. My point is show me another way to s***** a card in plain view with no props to be seen. The DVD has many faults all have been stated. You are left with using the ideas and working out the best handling for yourself. Obviously if you don't like this you won't spend any time working with it. I like the sneaky nature of this ,the gimmick hides in plain sight. I also think Shins live demo look great. Not exactly the same but no problems.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5316 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2014, drphil wrote:
Ray : how many ways do you have to teach the MCF.

Oh, there are several ways. Believe me, I learned at least five or six different methods before settling on the one David Regal teaches on his Clarity Box DVD. Some are very fast but, in my opinion, very difficult to get a near perfect fold. Some are slow and deliberate but obvious. It pays to get a method which hides what you are doing AND gets a nice, even fold.

Jim
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2014, Ray Chelt wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2014, drphil wrote:

For Me the demo was "mimed".

Nothing was left out and you saw everything a spectator would see if the trick was performed perfectly, sort of like when a singer mimes to their own song.

But what's telling in the teaching DVD is how much concentration Shin puts into folding the chosen card before demoing the Switch..And yet in real life a MCF is supposed to get the job done?

So we are then left with the simple version where you visibly fold up the chosen card, vanish it and miraculously it switches with the tabled card, the card only you are able to touch, which sort of leads the spectator to an obvious conclusion no matter how slick the switch.

The complicated , counter intuitive method that is demoed is hugely impractical for me, and for most people it seems. The simple method you could do without the Switch gimmicks.

Incidentally, in the live version I thought he 100% covers the card when the s####### happens, it looks nothing like the demo.

try this routine:

tell the spectator to put their hand over your special folded mystery card.

get the spectator to pick a card and sign it.

fold their card.

do a shuttle pass and hand the spectator a folded up blank card that has the word "special" writen on it. tell them to put it in their pocket. if you can do a convincing shuttle pass, they'll think that they are putting their folded up signed card in their pocket. they are also unlikely to try to unfold it because their other hand is on the mystery card.

tell them to lift their hand up. show them that the card under their hand is their signed card. ask what happened to your special card. they reach in their pocket to find your card that says "speical" on it.

so it's basically a very cool two card transpo. looks impromtu... should seem very impossible to the spectator.

i probably wouldn't play it up very big. I would just act very casually. so that everything seems very relaxed and fair... and the trick is basically over before the spectator realizes that it even started. you can just say "take you hand off my speical card" and then you go to unfold it and boom, it's their card and the trick is done. and they'll be like "ok wait a second here... I had my hand over this card the whole time, and I put my signed card in my pocket.... so how the heck did my signed card get under my hand since I was covering the card before I signed the other one... wtf".
drphil
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of drphil
Not the same thing as a s***** in plain view. Not what this is about.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
1278 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2014, drphil wrote:
Ray : how many ways do you have to teach the MCF. The moves are basic it just requires practice like I stated if you feel the Switch is not for you fine. Complicated is in the eye of the beholder some think the same about a lot of card sleights. My point is show me another way to s***** a card in plain view with no props to be seen. The DVD has many faults all have been stated. You are left with using the ideas and working out the best handling for yourself. Obviously if you don't like this you won't spend any time working with it. I like the sneaky nature of this ,the gimmick hides in plain sight. I also think Shins live demo look great. Not exactly the same but no problems.

And that's cool, if you can make this work in a way that looks better than a simple billet switch then there are undoubted benefits, it's just that I haven't seen anyone who has replicated the demo and, if you are doing the live version, a billet switch is just as good.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » THE SWITCH by Shin Lim (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..27~28~29~30~31 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL