The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kids Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tocatcher2
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of tocatcher2
In about a month or so I'm doing a free kids show at my local library and I just wanted to know, what do all of you guys think I need??

I'm thinking of buying a good amount of stuff for the show.

It's not going to be too long so if you can name a couple of tricks, books, dvds etc. and give me some ideas on what I need to prepare myself.

thanks
-Alex-
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
First of all let me say that a month is NOT a good enough amount of time to buy, practice, and perfect several effects for a decent kids' show. Second, there is a forum for kids show stuff here you should check out called "The Little Darlings." As for effects, they should be simple to follow, bright and colorful, have a sucker effect to them that you can change around to make you look like the sucker, and be fun. http://www.hocus-pocus.com
Enter that website and go to the bottom of the page to enter the online store, then click the bullet on the left hand side for kid's show magic to see some choices. Some favorites of mine are: miser's dream, vanishing bandana, egg bag, silk change bag, needle thru balloon, sponge balls, Sorcerer's Apprentice. But you have to find your own thing...those are just some things I use but I use them in my own way, except for the vanishing bandana which is done pretty much the way I think everyone does it - very fun routine.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Alex,

What you need is 30-minutes of entertaining magic for children. Your show should include lots of audience participation; plan for it because you will get it regardless.

Regarding what tricks to do...You don't need to "buy a lot of stuff for the show," start with what you currently perform, effects you feel comfortable with. If you only have close-up magic, is there any way to re-stage your close-up to play to a slightly larger audience as a stand-up trick.

If you are looking to add some material, look in any of David Ginn's books, Frances Marshall's Kid Stuff or Bobo's book on School Shows. There are so many tricks out there, that is is next to impossible to suggest what would be right for you.

That's your job anyway. What tricks do you like? What "feels right" for you. Definitely pick several "self-working tricks," ones that do not require a lot of technical skill so you can focus on your presentation. And remember, lots of audience participation.
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
tocatcher2
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of tocatcher2
No it's not in a month; it's more or less in 2-3. It's up to me when I want it so I can wait as long as I need to considering I'm doing it for free....

I meant to say a month to get all of the stuff and practice it. Sorry if you misunderstood me.

All right. Yeah, I already have a good amount of effects that will work for kids. I just wanted to hear from other magicians on what they think is neccesary.

See, the problem is I do usually close up and street magic so I'm thinking I need some new stuff for a kids show, considering they wouldn't understand most of the effects I would do.

I'm also mainly into card tricks but everyone keeps telling me I can't do that for kids cause they won't understand it.

Though there are a couple tricks with cards I can do for them, it's still not enough.
I've never done a lot of kids magic and that's why I'm a little confused. So any other help will also be great.
If you can think of what I can do with cards, then I'd be happy to hear everyone's opinion. Thanks again.

-Alex-
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I do a cards across routine for the kids but it's FAR from a normal cards across. In fact, only one card is used and it ends up stuck on the one kid's back. Weird. You'll figure it out. Card in balloon would be a good one I'm guessing.
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
I would do the Jumping Knot of Pakistan. It's fairly easy to do and looks great. Adults like it too.
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
Do you know Paul Harris' routine "Las Vegas Leaper"? It's a card-across that is very convincing, much more than the old versions. It has a lot of audience participation, too . . . they get to count the cards themselves before and after they travel. It's in the Art of Astonishment. The original routine is in #1 and the extended version is in #3.
tocatcher2
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of tocatcher2
Yeah I know Las Vegas Leaper because I have that set of books. Thanks for all the help you guys.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
One card routine that works really well for children and plays big enough for stage is Eddie Fechter's "Eight to Twelve." I've used it several times for a cruise ship lounge show, usually with two 7 year old kids from the audience assisting me at a niteclub table. It played extremely well. The kids only have to count to fifteen, and do not need to know the names of the cards. Lots of humor and fun.

It was one of Eddie's "request tricks," and he always did it for adults, but I've found it can be even funnier and more interesting with kids helping.

They get really into the counting and will argue with the performer a lot, leading right into the magic each time-- "Oh, really? Then you count them..."
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Kids love the spongeballs. Also, since it is a library use props that are located in a library. Kids can relate well with that.

Even bring in a storytelling form of a magic show.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
Whit, where would one find this Eddie Fechter trick? It sounds like something I'd be interested in.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
"Magician Nitely, the Magic of Eddie Fechter" (Out of Print), or "Fechter" by Jerry Mentzer (just re-released). Well worth the investment in either one of these books.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I've always found that it's better to bring the kids up to your level than to play down to them. What I mean is that I use virtually the same material for a kid's show as for an adult show, only eliminating material that's too cerebral. Eight to Twelve fits into this category, as do Silk-to-Egg, Cards Across, Professor's Nightmare, and so on. And, for the most part, you don't need to work too hard to get laughter from the kids: funny situations will arise naturally.

If the library will allow it, have one routine in which the kids get to make a lot of noise, even if it's just yelling out, "Abracadabra." Let them know ahead of time that they'll be allowed to be very noisy in a few minutes and you'll find it's much easier to keep them quiet the remainder of the time.
tocatcher2
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of tocatcher2
The tricks that you named are all very good but where can I find them?? Any online sites? Or should I just check out a local magic shop??

I want all of those tricks but don't know where to get them. Thanks for the help. Smile
Cole
View Profile
New user
Calgary
63 Posts

Profile of Cole
Maybe try learning a few simple balloon animals. They always get the kids excited and they will have a souvenir to go home with after the show. Also a great time-killer if short on material. Smile
Cole Smile
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Go to your local library, local bookstore, or Amazon.com and get a copy of Magic for Dummies. I know that Professor's Nightmare is in there, along with a great effect by Jeff McBride: you pull a handful of toilet paper - excuse me, bathroom tissue - off a roll (the kids will love this part if you play it up right), hold it in your hands, and a fountain of water begins to squirt out of it. There are other parlor effects there as well.
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
I found the book Mr. Haydn mentioned at Blacktie Magic (approx $50.00 US).

Hey tocatcher2 if you have a big budget you might want to check out Wolf's Magic. I got Jumping Knot from Perfect Magic. I think Murphy's has it so probably any decent magic shop can get it.
cat26
View Profile
Regular user
Manitoba, Canada
101 Posts

Profile of cat26
I would suggest using magic cards, animal cards & other theme cards for the effects you perform. They may also be given away as souvenirs or autographed afterwards. You get to perform the effect and the children go home with a small remembrance. Old maid cards are great for cards across....... cheers......
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of 12345
I think anyone can do or show tricks, its entertaining them with your magic that is the hard part
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
<<<<I think anyone can do or show tricks, its entertaining them with your magic that is the hard part>>>>

Hear Hear, I know a few magicians who usually do adult shows or are very good close-up but who have tried the kids shows and died a death. It's a whole new ball game and a lot of magicians simply can't do it.

It's not just being silly, it's being natural with it.
Some people are kid magnets and others have to put on a totally false persona, The natural kids entertainers are the best.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kids Show (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL