The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Check out the video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Al Flooso does a great job:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcAdOV1eDDI
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
That was awesome Mike.
Todd
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
That WAS awesome. Great looking at these old clips and watching how it should be done!
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
He had a unique style that perfectly fit his personality.

Gerry
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Nice. As a coin guy I love his misers dream.

The topper work was tops.

Climax can be more than jumbo coins. Thanks for the reminder of this
Legend.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
It did nothing for me. The misers dream was well done but I did not like his personality or his handling of the volunteer. I suppose it takes all sorts.
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
I was pretty uncomfortable when he unbuttoned the boy's shirt. And a little more so when he reached inside the shirt a few times. I really didn't like seeing him put his hand in the kid's pants pocket repeatedly. Repeatedly touching the boy's face and poking his want inside his shirt near his navel was just weird. But I was down right disgusted when he put his wand in the kid's mouth.

It has nothing to do with the current climate of "no touch" or any PC stuff. It would have creeped me out any time.

Bazinga!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
This was a period piece. In fact pretty old. My only grimace is folks are still using some of the
Stock lines.

Harris
Still too old to know it all
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Some old pieces hold up. This one is non magic. What do you think?

The stick.

http://youtu.be/wwWDa1xPTPA

And yes I do this at times with other objects given to me or found at kid/family shows.
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I gotta agree with Bazinga on this one. While I think FLossa was confident, smooth, and certainly a good entertainer, I also did not like the way he "manhandles" the kid ... or "handles" him at all. The touching is creepy.

I also question the use of the pin flower. Besides the obvious risk of pricking the kid, it seems almost inevitable that you will someday ruin a kid's shirt.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Harris, the stick was seriously funny. Laughed out loud several times. That stands the test of time.

One thing I disliked about Flosso was the way he trotted out the lines so quickly and unthinkingly. The whole routine looked like something he had done so often that he was on autopilot, ignoring the audience and the volunteer.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Tony, that's the character: A fast-talking, Coney Island huckster con man type, He's supposed to sound that way.
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2014-02-01 17:19, Bazinga wrote:
I was pretty uncomfortable when he unbuttoned the boy's shirt. And a little more so when he reached inside the shirt a few times. I really didn't like seeing him put his hand in the kid's pants pocket repeatedly. Repeatedly touching the boy's face and poking his want inside his shirt near his navel was just weird. But I was down right disgusted when he put his wand in the kid's mouth.

It has nothing to do with the current climate of "no touch" or any PC stuff. It would have creeped me out any time.

Bazinga!

As Harris said, this is an old clip and what was acceptable then isn't the case today. While I wouldn't put my hand in a child's pocket the whole "no touch" thing has just gone too far these days. There's nothing wrong with a friendly hand on the shoulder or something similar.

Personally I think the people who say "you shouldn't touch a child at all cost" are part of the problem.

Only yesterday I had a little girl rush up to me and give me a hug - I briefly returned the hug making sure my hands were in full view. I don't see a problem with that - and call me a stubborn middle aged man (I am!) I won't be told otherwise by a bunch of people who generally don't know what the h*ll they're talking about. Smile

Mark
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Kinda reminds me of W.C. Fields
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
Kebleem,
You are so right , I think more magicians are paranoid about touching than parents ,
Ok putting your hand in a Childs pocket is a bit risky ! but I often lift a small child off the stage or touch them to guide them .
you are onstage with people watching you come on lets have some sense !
Phil
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On 2014-02-02 03:12, keeblem wrote:
There's nothing wrong with a friendly hand on the shoulder or something similar.

Yes, but this video went far past that. In those days, it may have been accepted and overlooked more, but as we are now seeing with the Catholic church situation (for example) lots of bad stuff was also going on unchecked. I think it's a good thing that we have this awareness. I don't think many of us are advocating never touching, but having a complete disregard for the subject is unhealthy and risky. Know why you are touching. Touch in safe, open ways. Guiding a child by the shoulders on one thing; reaching inside their shirts will lose you business and possibly get you in legal trouble.

You may think some magicians are paranoid, pb, and you may even be right. But that will be little comfort when an overzealous parent, teacher, or do-gooder reports you to the authorities. The mere fact that an act was investigated, however unfair the reasons, could destroy a career.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
The routining/prop management is amazing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Check out the video (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL