The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Draven Reviews: Opening Doors by Henry Evans (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
William Draven
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, NV
486 Posts

Profile of William Draven
Title: Opening Doors
Artist: Henry Evans
Producers: Vernet
Link: http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=52837
Retail Price: $110
Learning Difficulty: Expert Level.
Length of DVD(s): 5+ hours
Notes: Spanish with English Dub Over

Includes:
• Instructional DVDs
• Disk 1: Full Performances
• Disk 2: Techniques Theory & More
• Disk 3: Further Secret

The Trick That Cannot Be Explained, or Jazz Magic, has been for years one of the most daunting pieces of magic for a card magician to learn to perform. Jazz Magic requires the performer to think, count, and react on their feet alongside the spectator as the card miracle is performed. This isn’t just a simple trick, it’s a system, theory, and almost philosophy that can take the serious student of card magic years to learn and longer to master. Henry Evan’s is one of the world’s best card workers (having won FISM in 2000) and a master of performing Dai Vernon’s masterpiece “Jazz Magic” in his latest three DVD release “Opening Doors” he unlocks the world of potential that Jazz Magic offers the performer making learning this daunting piece of magic a little easier to manage.

I’m not going to lie. I hate The Trick That Cannot Be Explained. I’ve tried to learn it now about a half dozen times, and each time something has always come up that has kept me away from putting the time in required to learn it or has just distracted me long enough that I end up moving onto something else. The material is dry. Originally published in Dai Vernon’s “More Inner Secrets of Card Magic” the trick read like stereo instructions. For something so complex, so powerful only a few pages of vague, at best, explanation. I just couldn’t process it. I’ve seen masters perform it, and it always hits with such amazing force but trying to work your way through the labyrinthine mindset in performance time required to make this magical is almost a feat unto itself. When I got Opening Doors by Henry Evans I thought to myself “Now here’s my chance to finally beat the beast and take my spot on the couch next to a select few other magicians who perform this little miracle.” After watching all three disks, I feel that it may just be possible to do that.

The three disk set comes in one neat little package. The first disk focuses solely on full real time performances, of which you get to see quite a few. You get to see two in studio performances, a performance done at the Magic Castle, and yet another done in all Spanish with no voice over. The final section of the disc reviews the first performance in more detail with attention to what is going on behind the scenes. The second disk is where we get into the meat of explaining how to perform The Trick That Cannot Be Explained. Disc two covers everything from theory, to technique, and tricks that can be done as well as their explanations. The third disk goes even further into the subject with Henry talking about improvisation. He provides some good points to practice to get used to the idea of improving the performance as you go. He talks about the magic of words, covers some dice control, and demonstrates that anyone can learn to perform Jazz Magic. He finishes the disk off with an interview with Pablo Kunsetzoff which I found to be very interesting. All in all there is over five hours of video to get through. Honestly this is one of the best taught single effect DVD’s I’ve ever seen. It is very well put together, and the information taught in this is solid gold.

The only problem with this DVD set that I have, and it’s almost a shame to say this, is the language barrier that needs to get crossed in order to learn the material. English is not the DVD’s primary language setting thus the entire DVD set, all five hours of it, is in Spanish with an English dub over. This may just be a personal preference, but I prefer to watch my foreign movies with subtitles and natural dialog as opposed to being dubbed over into English. In Opening Doors the speaker often hurries along to keep pace with Henry’s jokes and performance nuances. The pacing of the dub, and the fact that a single narrator speaks for anyone talking in the video makes the dialog feel disjointed and distracting in places. It’s like trying to read a novel with no punctuation. I guess a more accurate description would be like trying to watch the original Star Wars trilogy in Spanish with an English dub over for the sake of comprehension with a test in film class on the subject due the next day, and only one guy doing all the characters voices. Things would just run together after the first few minutes. I have no doubt those who speak Spanish will find the Spanish only play option to be perfectly fine, but the English dub often was just poorly voice directed. This is a problem because the material being taught isn’t easy! This is one of the hardest tricks in card magic to master and a natural flowing dialog in English would have helped the teaching process along just that much better.
Overall if you’re going to tackle the monster effort of learning Jazz Magic then you’ll want this learning aid in your library at your disposal. Don’t let my opinion of the dub dissuade you from this purchase because I’m still very happy I have this in my library. Jazz Magic is one of the most versatile pieces of magic that can change and challenge your presentation. It’s no wonder why only a select few working pros employ this powerful routine, and with Opening Doors you are armed with all the material you need to master that effect. You just have to get past the voice over if you don't speak Spanish, and at $110 dollar investment that may not be something some magicians are willing to do.

When I give my product scores below I am measuring them on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 Being absolute the worst score possible, and 10 being the absolute best, making a score of five average. The four points that I grade upon is Product Quality, Teaching Quality, Sound & Video Quality and Overall Quality.

Product Quality: 8
Great DVD set for learning one of, as far as I’m concerned, hardest tricks in card magic. The price is a bit steep, at a $110 dollars, but considering you’re getting three DVD’s and the material covered on those DVDs is invaluable, I think it’s a fair price. Steep, but fair.

Teaching Quality: 2
I hated the dub aspect of this product. Subtitles would have almost been preferable. I hate to see the quality of an otherwise solid product made by someone as talented as Henry Evans get demolished by an avoidable technical issue such as poor voice directing.

Video & Sound Quality: 9
I liked the menu selections with the different doors you opened to get to the different parts of the disk. Very themed. Good audio and video.

Overall Quality: 4
The dub of this DVD really did hurt the final score quite a bit especially when combined with the sales price of this product. The material is good, don’t get me wrong, but the dub is distracting and distracted is not something you want to be while trying to learn this monster of an effect. I think to the point that making any useful attempt to study a hard trick like Jazz Magic more trouble than it’s worth. The dub and the price was enough to bring this down to an impassable score of only 4 out of 10. This is a product failure.
Chops
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Chops
Wow, thanks for the indepth review. Very informative.

Chops
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Indeed, an English subtitle of this DVD set will definitely make it a much better DVD set.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
stefano59
View Profile
New user
Roma - Italia
5 Posts

Profile of stefano59
This dvd is on my list to Blackpool.
Thanks very very much for the review. Well done.
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
984 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Absolutely agree with this. Potentially a fantastic DVD set and Henry Evans has so much to share - but the voiceover on this is nothing short of shocking. They have the same guy, with his same voice, representing two people having a conversation with one another! It's ridiculous (and not in a good, David Williamson way, either). To save a few dollars in the production of this, they've really spoilt what could have been a gem of a release. They've let both Henry Evans and us down, I'm afraid.
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Have to agree... This could be fantastic project but routine like "trick that cannot be explained" is something that relies mainly on other things as sleights and therefore it is extremely important that learner understands what is being said in the DVD. In this case sadly this is not the case Smile

J-M
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I'm a big fan of Henry Evans but, I think I would pass on this one. Instead, get the work on Vernon's classic by reading Eric Mead's Tangled Web. Smile
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
This is a fantastic DVD set. It contains many new concepts and approaches for jazz card magic. Henry was reluctant to put this material out at first because it's his best and most powerful magic. However, for reasons best known to him he decided to release it.

In a way I'm glad the DVDs are receiving a lukewarm reception because of the language thing. It means that truly mind blowing methods and miracles will remain with the few who can be bothered to stick with it, not exactly a chore though!

If you liked Ian Rowland's Thetalia then imagine having dozens more tools to make you look like card god. That's what you're effectively buying into here.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
faro
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of faro
Product Quality: 7
Teaching Quality: 4
Video & Sound Quality: 8
Overall Quality: 5
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
Are there any plans to reissue Mr. Evan's "Opening Doors" with better voice over? The poor dubbing seems to be the only complaint with this otherwise highly praised and unique DVD set.
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Quote:
On May 19, 2017, ehands wrote:
Are there any plans to reissue Mr. Evan's "Opening Doors" with better voice over? The poor dubbing seems to be the only complaint with this otherwise highly praised and unique DVD set.

Like all other being said and my comment a few years ago, the voice cover simply made most of us, especially non-native English Speakers actually unable to learn anything from this DVD.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Wanted to purchase this, but the reviews make it clear that it's better left 'on the shelf'. What a shame....
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
An update on this item:

Before the global lock down due to COVID-19, I was able to attend the Blackpool Magic Convention in February 2020. There I met Henry Evans again and this time in his booth, I saw 'The Opening Doors' instant download version. He explained that the English voice over issue now totally solved and remastered. So I took the leap of faith and get the instant download version again.

After the convention and the flight back home, I download the video files from links provided. Indeed, the voice over is a complete remake and everything now is clear and understandable.

Everything of this instructional download now is good and ready for those who want to explore more about this wonderful plot.

Just make sure that you get is the new digital download version, and you will be fine.

Hope that helps.

Doric
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Doric
I wonder whether people who paid for the original DVDs will be able to get the corrected download?
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1149 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2020, Steven Leung wrote:
An update on this item:

Before the global lock down due to COVID-19, I was able to attend the Blackpool Magic Convention in February 2020. There I met Henry Evans again and this time in his booth, I saw 'The Opening Doors' instant download version. He explained that the English voice over issue now totally solved and remastered. So I took the leap of faith and get the instant download version again.

After the convention and the flight back home, I download the video files from links provided. Indeed, the voice over is a complete remake and everything now is clear and understandable.

Everything of this instructional download now is good and ready for those who want to explore more about this wonderful plot.

Just make sure that you get is the new digital download version, and you will be fine.

Hope that helps.

I've searched a bit and can't find where this download is available.

Can you provide a link?

Thanks!
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
Doric
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Doric
I think the corrected version should be given to all those who made the investment in the original set and were disappointed with the VO.
Doric
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Doric
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2020, Steven Leung wrote:
An update on this item:

Hope that helps.

Hi Steven, did you pay again for the download given you bought the DVDs originally.
senno52
View Profile
Regular user
new york
161 Posts

Profile of senno52
Hi there,

I'm looking for the downloadable version mentioned. Can anyone guide me to it?

thanks
joe
Doric
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Doric
I wrote to Henry about it but was ignored 🙁. Not a great way to treat customers.
Illusion77
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of Illusion77
Thanks for the review!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Draven Reviews: Opening Doors by Henry Evans (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL