The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Whats your hat? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1290 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Yes the show is what makes the money. But what do you consider when choosing what to collect the money in.

Dose it matter?

I do have a hatline at the end of my show but I do have a box laid out for a trickle. A while ago a flute playing busker said he tried different container to collect in. He found something squarer about A4 size about 50mm deep worked best. People could see in to it and knew why it was there. Also people feel they have to fill up something up. He dint like the sound that metal on metal made but sound is important and color to show up the money as well.

As I result I use a small case with a sign on the inside saying magic. Which sits on the floor to to my left. I perform behide it so it always in viwe and when I hat line I point to it.

I have seen many people use different things to collect in so I want to know what you use and why. Please include how you use it and were its placed.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1467 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I use a small bell bucket for my misers dream. on the street I don't do the misers dream but have the little bucket with me. when I make my hatline pitch I show the bucket and rattle with it. so the audience hears the sound of money in the little bucket. reinforcing the idea of money and where to put it in.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2680 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I have a white bucket I got from the Snack Bar (back when Wal*Mart had a Snack Bar) It seems to do the job. I am considering "borrowing" one of my kid's "safari hats" (he has two and an Indiana Jones hat) and seeing if I can do better with that.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Mr. Danny
View Profile
Loyal user
North Central Louisiana
249 Posts

Profile of Mr. Danny
I use a top hat from a costume shop for tips.
Nate The Magician
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of Nate The Magician
For trickle-tips I use a thin tin can from baked beans that fits easily into my suitcase (I keep my set of cups inside the can- it keeps the cups pretty safe in the case). I also use a top hat (that I won in a poker game and wear as part of my costume) as a final tip collector for bigger crowds.
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
442 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Black top hat Smile
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1040 Posts

Profile of imgic
Indiana Jones Stetson Fedora
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
I use my Fedora, depending on my sport coat, a black, or blue or grey Fedora to contrast with the sportcoat.

But as I learned on a windy day at Jackson Square in New Orleans, when I set my hat out, I drop a couple decks of cards in first. The decks do a couple of things. They reinforce the purpose of putting things into the hat, and they keep the wind from blowing the hat onto the ground and sending the paper money blowing all over the square. My ex wife videoed me on hands and knees trying to gather it all back in that day. I wish I could get a copy of that video, but frankly I don't want it bad enough to talk to her...

The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
D. Yoder
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
I second the idea of attaching the trickle hat to something or putting something with weight into it so it doesn't blow away. Mine is a cheap bowler hat that fits into the chains that hold the tripod legs of the table together. The chains hold it off of the ground and keep it in one place.

I glued copies of money into the bottom for "seed money." After having someone reach into my hat to try to remove money rather than putting money in, I try to keep the real stuff in the hat to a minimum by removing it regularly.
Iron Butterfly
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Iron Butterfly
I considered using my Bell Bucket as well but came to the realization that it would perhaps entice people to give coins instead of cash.I would think all it would take is for someone to here coins going in and hitting and that sound reinforcing that coins are OK.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
"to here coins going in and hitting and that sound reinforcing that coins are OK. "
O.k., here's an idea that popped into my mind just now about the noise making.
You know those counter bells that have a button on the top to hit to ring the bell for attention? Well, if one of those bells was in the hat any coin hitting it would make the bell ring - musical hatting!!
It's interesting when I think back, at how some things I used to do fade away from my use. My pitch is pretty quiet at times and then a mum and her kid or two come up and put some money in my hat on the ground for the magic or a balloon. I used to get the kids to play "toss' to see if they could toss the coin into the hat, giving the kid several goes until they got the money in. I had the time and they had the fun of getting the coins into the hat.

I use two hats on the street, one on the ground for the trickle and balloon money, and the one on my head for active hatting as part of my Magic Show. One fits inside the other for easy transport around; I often carry them to/from my pitch in a plastic supermarket bag to save crushing them. The alternative would be wearing them one inside the other on my head, but that would draw attention to myself, hah, hah. Actually I might just try doing that for a bit.
The presentation makes the magic.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1290 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I love the bell idea be using that. You say about tossing money in hen people do it and miss or there coin jumps out and roll across the street. I stamp on it look at them and say missed try again.

And as for the double hat idea get ahead get a hat as they use to say.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
Just like noise draws a crowd, the sound of a bell that each spec rings as they show their appreciation sounds like a pretty good idea. Everyone likes to ring the bell at Arby's when they leave. You could also make a verbal point of how loud the bell is rung, and create a bit of competition among them, while you are hatting. Interesting thought! You could be on to something there.

The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Whats your hat? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL