The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman found Dead (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-02-05 20:14, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-05 17:48, Pop Haydn wrote:
It ended the reign of corruption and crime that came with prohibition.

It is education that has helped ease cigarette addiction and alcoholism.

It is education and medical help that helps drug addiction.

So then the answer to my question is...No. Is that correct?

Making alcohol legal to anyone of age has not prevented alcoholics and in fact may have contributed to the number of alcoholics because of the ease of acquiring it. Would that be correct?

Maybe it is just me but this does not seem like a solution. Seems more like throwing gasoline on a fire in order to extinguish it.

I think it's made some problems better and others worse.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Your questions often contain your presuppositions. In this case the word "addiction" in there being neglected and then surrounded by safe platitudes. Is addiction treatable - sometimes. is it curable - maybe sometimes. Legislation and social attitude effective at managing... not really. Does the damage done by one out of his mind financial/funds manager measure to that done by thousands of street level drug users? Brin's story "Existence" goes after the damage done by addiction on a different level and raises other questions about narratives.

Getting back to the suffering: Despair. Maladaptation. Addiction.

What would X so much prefer not to address that X instead turns to substance Y?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman found Dead (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL