The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman found Dead (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
So terrible to read that article.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
One of the most gifted actors of our lives. A real loss and such a tragedy for his wife and children. So sorry to read this.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
RIP... What a loss.

Always the drugs... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Tragic and very sad. . .
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2014-02-02 15:50, Slide wrote:
One of the most gifted actors of our lives.

Tragic and sad but really, one of the most gifted actors of our times?
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-02-03 00:23, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-02 15:50, Slide wrote:
One of the most gifted actors of our lives.

Tragic and sad but really, one of the most gifted actors of our times?

I'd go along with that. Four Oscar nominations (including a win), three Tony nominations, a wide range of roles... He was great in leading and supporting roles. Capote, The 25th Hour, Patch Adams, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, Chalrie Wilson's War,... Even small roles (like Moneyball) or innocuous movies (like Twister). Never saw him onstage, but I hear he was great. In one play with John C. Reilly, they switched roles each night. Never saw him in anything when he wasn't at least very good.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Yes, he was an amazing actor.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well since the story came from the Huffpo I doubt the veracity of it.

Now that I tried to lighten the mood a bit, (Probably unsuccessfully.) I would put him as one of the greats of our generation without a doubt. The man lent class to any roll or production he was in. He will be missed by a craft that has fewer and fewer people who can take a minor or supporting roll or a minor roll and make it memorable.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-02-03 03:27, Dannydoyle wrote:
Well since the story came from the Huffpo I doubt the veracity of it.

Now that I tried to lighten the mood a bit, (Probably unsuccessfully.) I would put him as one of the greats of our generation without a doubt. The man lent class to any roll or production he was in. He will be missed by a craft that has fewer and fewer people who can take a minor or supporting roll or a minor roll and make it memorable.

Definitely agree. Particularly loved him in Charlie Wilson's War.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
" In one play with John C. Reilly, they switched roles each night. "

That was True West, by Sam Shepard. I never saw that production (I would have loved to have seen it, although I have seen True West performed, just not with that cast). If you know the play, you'll understand the difficulty of switching roles each night: the play deals with 2 brothers who could not be more dissimilar. I heard that, no matter what night you saw, you couldn't imagine the actors doing the other roles. And that was said regardless of who was playing what.

He also founded the Lybrinth theater here in New York.
Yes, Bob, he was truly one of our great actors, not just movies, but brilliant stage player (which few actors can pull off these days).
FrostyFeet
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of FrostyFeet
Such a sad story he was a great actor.

R.I.P
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
What's truly sad is that, according to an article in the New York Times, his drug habit was well-known. Which means that many, many people could have helped him. Either they didn't try (or didn't try hard enough), or he refused their help.

Either way, it's truly sad.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"according to an article in the New York Times, his drug habit was well-known"

I don't know how well it was known. I know someone who was very close to him, babysat his kid, and worked at the theater he founded and she wasn't aware of the heroin issue until after he had announced he was going into rehab about 6 months ago. She did move out of the city a few years ago, so clearly wasn't part of the inner circle anymore, but I think the degree he was still hooked was not known outside of a very small circle.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
To quote from A Bronx Tale: "The saddest thing in life is wasted talent."

Yes, the passing of this actor is sad, but, everyday, children in St. Jude's and other hospitals are dying of cancer, leukemia and God knows what else. This man knew the risks of heroin; these children did not ask for death.

I don't mean to sound callous, and I realize that addiction is a disease, but, UNLIKE cancer and leukemia, it is treatable. I am sorry, and flame me all you want, but this man committed suicide. People with terminal illnesses FIGHT to live and an Oscar winning actor shoves a needle into his arm.

C'est la vie?
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Don't understand your connection with Phillip and dying children but since leukemia is a cancer I gotta ask, they don't treat cancer?
Phillip did what he wanted, call it what you want.
I support freedom even if it ends in death.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I believe that Vlad's point is that while many people mourn for Hoffman, not many people mourn for these children; he finds that saddening.

I, for one, agree with him.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Curios, does mourning make all the difference?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2014-02-03 16:13, silvercup wrote:
Curios, does mourning make all the difference?

No.

But a lot more than sarcasm does.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
When we mourn the loss of an artist we are not mourning only the loss of one life but also that we have all lost the possibility of seeing more great art created by that person. There's no shame in this.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman found Dead (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL