We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman found Dead (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
On 2014-02-04 20:46, tommy wrote:
Well decriminalization of crime would cut the crime rate.

...and a big boost to the freedom movement, not unlike the one that kicked the whole thing off.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2014-02-04 14:24, irossall wrote:
Decriminalize ALL drugs AND control the drugs by getting them off the street and into the pharmacy so at least those who choose to use drugs, will at least get pure and measured doses of their drug. The drugs on the street have no quality control, there lies the crust of the problem.
Iven Smile

Not trying to be argumentative here, but who will pay for the costs of these addicts getting their free drugs? And how will that help them kick their habit, or do we just continue to pay for them to be stoned all the time? I don't see any incentive here for folks hooked on hard drugs to try to clean up their act and become productive members of society.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
From each according to his habit, to each according to his presciption.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Still didn't answer my question tommy; where's the incentive to become productive in society and who pays for it all?

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Dude Tommy was making a very funny joke! Read it again cross reference Marx it will come to you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
gypsyfish
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of gypsyfish
Quote:
On 2014-02-04 21:01, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-04 14:24, irossall wrote:
Decriminalize ALL drugs AND control the drugs by getting them off the street and into the pharmacy so at least those who choose to use drugs, will at least get pure and measured doses of their drug. The drugs on the street have no quality control, there lies the crust of the problem.
Iven Smile

Not trying to be argumentative here, but who will pay for the costs of these addicts getting their free drugs? And how will that help them kick their habit, or do we just continue to pay for them to be stoned all the time? I don't see any incentive here for folks hooked on hard drugs to try to clean up their act and become productive members of society.

I don't think irossall is saying anything about the public paying for the 'addicts' use. If they can buy drugs from a pharmacy, they will get drugs that aren't adulterated with poisons or get hotshots. In addition the public would benefit because taxes would be paid when the drugs are purchased, just like they are now when you buy prescription drugs at a store. If prices are cheaper, because there's no prohibition, there's no need to buy them on the streets, so crime would decrease since dealers won't be fighting over turf.

The War on Drugs is working no better than Prohibition did in the 1920's in the USA. Money spent on the WoD, would be better used to educate people on the problems of addiction and offering more programs to help addicts get off of their drug of choice.

As far as public health is concerned, more people die because of alcohol abuse/use, or tobacco use or, even, a sedentary lifestyle (being a couch potato).

I don't think that abuse of any drug is a good thing. People should no more be allowed to drive or work under the influence. I don't smoke, drink moderately (a lot less than when I was younger) and, sadly, am a couch potato. If drugs were legalized tomorrow, it wouldn't change my lifestyle and I don't think there would be a major change in drug use.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2767 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2014-02-04 00:18, Pakar Ilusi wrote:

You see successful people, you think they are happy... Smile

Richard Cory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwqwAy85CgY
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2014-02-04 21:33, Bob1Dog wrote:
Still didn't answer my question tommy; where's the incentive to become productive in society and who pays for it all?

Right Danny, now I get it. My bad. Sometimes tommy confuses me; and that's not meant as a slam. Smile

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2014-02-04 22:55, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-04 00:18, Pakar Ilusi wrote:

You see successful people, you think they are happy... Smile

Richard Cory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwqwAy85CgY

Edward Arlington Robinson's original poem:

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/richard-cory/

more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Cory

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2014-02-04 23:16, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-04 21:33, Bob1Dog wrote:

Right Danny, now I get it. My bad. Sometimes tommy confuses me; and that's not meant as a slam. Smile

He always confuses me but that was indeed funny!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Yeah, it was. I was slow on the uptake. Gettin' old I guess. Smile

irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2014-02-04 20:23, Dannydoyle wrote:
Have you ever worked with the drug addicted on any level personally?

No. I never worked with drug addicts on any level. I lived with addicts for many years. I know that some want to get off the stuff but they know that their treatment would be an arrest and lockup.
People of influence or affluence rarely have trouble signing into a "good" rehab center. The poor or destitute seldom get a chance to book into a good rehab center but rather must check into a slummy and poorly run rehab center.

Who pays for this? The same people who are paying now for the "War on Drugs", you and me, the taxpayer and the addict if they can afford it.

Last year I lost my best Friend of 42 years due to complications of his hepatitis c that he got back in the early 70's. My Friend along with his Brother would go into a border town of Mexico and partake in a shooting gallery. Dirty needles is most likely what did him in.
My Friend would most likely be alive today if he could have at least access to clean needles and pure drug.
My Friend has been drug free since 1975, yet he died in 2013. He paid the price. How many more must pay before we get back on track and start to really care about each other?

For those who love the "War on Drugs" 2014 may be your lucky year. I think we are about to see the War on Drugs escalate to higher levels.
War is Fun!
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Did anyone here but you putting positions on people say the war on drugs was a good thing or has been a success as it is being waged?

War on drugs is idiotic even as a term. It is not a war but a social issue. One that is quite complex and can not be dealt with simplistic solutions such as make all of them legal. There are no simple solutions to complex problems.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I don't know the answer but I know some things:

1. You have to take the profit motive out of it. As long as the gangsters can pay off every person from cop to congressman, the problem gets worse. By some means (ask someone smarter than me) we need to take the profit out of it.
2. We need to stop treating the addicts as criminals. You don't have to legalize, but you can decriminalize and force those caught into treatment instead of jail.
3. We need to redirect the resources used to fight relatively harmless substances like weed and focus the attention on hard narcotics where it belongs:

Those things won't eliminate the problem, but they'd take a dent out of the ancillary costs of drug addition.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2014-02-05 16:23, Slide wrote:

1. You have to take the profit motive out of it....but they'd take a dent out of the ancillary costs of drug addition.

take the money away? Smile Smile

what next, address root causes of despair?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2014-02-05 16:23, Slide wrote:

1. You have to take the profit motive out of it. As long as the gangsters can pay off every person from cop to congressman, the problem gets worse. By some means (ask someone smarter than me) we need to take the profit out of it.
2. We need to stop treating the addicts as criminals. You don't have to legalize, but you can decriminalize and force those caught into treatment instead of jail.
3. We need to redirect the resources used to fight relatively harmless substances like weed and focus the attention on hard narcotics where it belongs:

Those things won't eliminate the problem, but they'd take a dent out of the ancillary costs of drug addition.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Addicts are not criminals UNTIL their addiction moves them to be one to feed their habit. THAT is where the line gets a bit blurred.
Getting society to agree upon "relatively harmless substances" might not be as easy as it should be.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
I keep hearing many of you say by making let us say pot or other drugs legal and easily obtainable by addicts will help solve the problem of drug addiction. I have only one question to ask. Has the same solution solved the problem of alcohol addiction?

I have not followed this thread so maybe this has been asked and answered already.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2014-02-05 17:39, acesover wrote:
I keep hearing many of you say by making let us say pot or other drugs legal and easily obtainable by addicts will help solve the problem of drug addiction. I have only one question to ask. Has the same solution solved the problem of alcohol addiction?

It might have saved a few people of dying from drinking bathtub gin.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3549 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
It ended the reign of corruption and crime that came with prohibition.

It is education that has helped ease cigarette addiction and alcoholism.

It is education and medical help that helps drug addiction.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2014-02-05 17:48, Pop Haydn wrote:
It ended the reign of corruption and crime that came with prohibition.

It is education that has helped ease cigarette addiction and alcoholism.

It is education and medical help that helps drug addiction.

So then the answer to my question is...No. Is that correct?

Making alcohol legal to anyone of age has not prevented alcoholics and in fact may have contributed to the number of alcoholics because of the ease of acquiring it. Would that be correct?

Maybe it is just me but this does not seem like a solution. Seems more like throwing gasoline on a fire in order to extinguish it.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman found Dead (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL