The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Torn and Restored Napkin (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
close-up
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of close-up
Looking to add Torn And Restored Napkin to my set. Anyone recommend a good routine?
patrick1515
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of patrick1515
The "classic" is right out of Mark Wilson's book.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I actually use the sucker t+r napkin right out of the Mark Wilson book myself. It's so simple, but when used in the context of a "Teach a Trick" routine it gets fantastic reactions! I use it in my family show and when I MC events.
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
922 Posts

Profile of Martino
Bob White's dvd teaches you all you meed to know.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
I second Bob White's routine. That's the one I use. Bob's DVD is really all ya need....well taught.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
You can add a little more "pizzazz" to the usual torn and restored napkin routine by checking out these two e-Books on the subject: Qua-Fiki's Super Hero Napkin Tricks from his Super Hero Magic Book 2 AND/OR "Magical History: The Torn and Restored Napkin" from The Wizards' Journal #8 which has routines going back to 1915 and up to the present day.
close-up
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of close-up
Big thanks for all the responses. Is the Torn and Restored routine found in Mark Wilson's course available by itself, maybe as a ebook or written up and sold individually?
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
Daryl has a nice T&R napkin on one of his dads!!!

Walking Bob
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
Daryl has a nice T&R napkin on one of his dads!!!

Walking Bob
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Bob is talking about the other Daryl and NO he's not my brother! Smile

But I do have my own version of T&R. I modified Mark Wilson's into a comedy routine with a volunteer.

I explain that I will show the audience how to do T&R napkin. I hand a napkin to the volunteer and have them tear it up and roll it into a ball (No, a little tighter) Smile. I then grab a napkin, tear it up and make into a little ball, with my back to the volunteer, I demonstrate and instruct him how on to switch the torn pieces with the extra ball he has hidden in his hand. (This gets a laugh since he doesn't have an extra ball) The rest is all comedy with the finale being the volunteer opening their hand to find the napkin "magically" restored itself.

I like this routine because the "dirty work" is done in the first few seconds, before the trick really starts and the magic happens in their hand. By the time of the reveal the volunteer will swear you never touched the napkin once you gave it to them.
Codyreese
View Profile
New user
Salt Lake City
56 Posts

Profile of Codyreese
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2014, twistedace wrote:
I actually use the sucker t+r napkin right out of the Mark Wilson book myself. It's so simple, but when used in the context of a "Teach a Trick" routine it gets fantastic reactions! I use it in my family show and when I MC events.

I do this and get great reactions, especially as a "Do as I do".
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I have used the Sucker T&R to great reaction...but I really like what the "Other Daryl" is describing.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3683 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2014, patrick1515 wrote:
The "classic" is right out of Mark Wilson's book.

I don't recall the details, but I seem to remember, from one of his lectures after the book had been out for a long time, that Mark had tweaked the handling a little bit.

Does anyone remember the difference between the description in the book and Mark's current handling?

Julie
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3650 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Can anyone suggest a routine that does not give any magic secrets away.

I know the sucker routines are popular but I just can't get behind that.

-Mary Mowder
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Simple sequence would be:
Tear it
Double cross the gaze as you reach for a "Woofle duster"
Sprinkle the dust
Show it whole again

It's not much of a routine. The sucker element doesn't have to be a "gotcha" moment. In fact it gets BETTER results if you play it very casually with proper scripting. For instance:
Before you reveal the second restoration you could say "if you're afraid anybody sees the second tissue, simply act casual, fold it as best you can and put it back into the tissue box." All while unfolding the tissue.

That's not the patter I use, but you get the idea. Or you could fake a sneeze,or an itchy nose, unfold it without saying anything, rub your nose and put it away without saying anything.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Nice touch, Ace!
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2014, Mike Maturen wrote:
I have used the Sucker T&R to great reaction...but I really like what the "Other Daryl" is describing.

Thanks Mike. I did the standard "sucker T & R" for years and it works great on its own but when I decided to incorporate a volunteer I wanted to take the sucker part out and make my volunteer the hero. I do "expose" the napkin switch but most people are focused on my volunteer who seems to be in a bind since he (or she) doesn't have a spare napkin. When they finally open their napkin and find it restored without making a switch they get all the credit (and applause) for doing the magic.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3650 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Thanks twistedace,

Mary Mowder
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8360 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
This is not particularly NEW, but, I'll contribute for those who might not know.

PAPER has a GRAIN (like a wooden board--well, paper is made from wood!) If any sheet of paper (NAPKINS INCLUDED) is torn WITH the grain, it will tear in nice neat strips. If it's torn CROSS grain, it will tear in ragged, very uneven pieces.

You can tell which way the grain "goes" from the FIRST FOLD. If you tear in the same direction as the first fold, you will be tearing WITH the grain.

IMHO,unless you have a reason for "ripping the napkin into uneven scraps of paper", it looks a lot neater to tear with the grain.

APPLICATION: When I do the PAPER BALLS OVER THE SPECTATOR'S HEAD (in High Schools) I have the spectator sit in a chair. I USE ONLY SQUARE napkins. (The CHEAP ones, available at any super market.) I unfold one, and hand it to the spectator with the grain HORIZONTAL. I unfold mine and say, "Just tear it in half, like this." I tear mine in half and it tears in two nice neat halves. Invariably, the spectator tears the napkin in a ragged mess. The audience will chuckle (even laugh!)I DO NOT EMBARRASS the spectator with any 'smart remarks'. Usually, I just smile, and say, "Well, I've had years of practice!" (another laugh) Then I do the over the head routine.

You can "borrow" a few napkins from McDonald's or any "sit down grab joint", but many, if not most of them, will NOT BE SQUARE, and if you hand the spec. an oblong shaped napkin, he/she might turn it to match yours, and you will lose the laugh. KFC (Col.Sanders) usually has napkins that unfold to a square.

I realize this is SLIGHTLY off the OP's topic, but, THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAILS!

The T&R napkin is one of the first tricks that I learned, back in the '40s, (TARBELL, VOL. 1 -- page 306). It meets 99% of the NINE IMPORTANT THINGS (the "CRITERIA")which I've used, most of my performing life, in selecting effects for my working show. I especially like it because it can be adapted for a themed or seasonal program. (Seasonal colors, or designs).

BTW, Ad far as I know the over the head idea was first done by Harry Blackstone Sr. (I first saw it when I saw the "Show of 2001 Wonders" in 1945. Others have used the concept since. the late George Johnstone, who had been an assistant on the Blackstone show in the late '30s, used it. The late Quintino Marucci (Tony Slydini's "real" name) refined the concept into a masterpiece.

N
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Here is the routine I have always used (although with the comments here, I may be adapting it):

I do the T&R napkin.
I tell the audience that I am going to teach them how it's done.
I have the volunteer follow along with me.
As I get (magic dust) out of my pocket I ditch the torn ball and replace it with a third, whole ball.
Of course, the spectator does not do a switch.
The napkins are restored (both mine and the volunteer's)
Then I ask "But what happens if you get caught, and someone wants to see your other hand"
I answer "Simple...you just magically restore the other napkin,.
Volunteer opens their hand to find a torn up napkin.
I open my hand to show a restored napkin.

I have never felt like I embarrassed or belittled my volunteer...but I am liking what Daryl is doing...may have to sketch it out in my mind, come up with a good workable method and have at it.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Torn and Restored Napkin (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL