The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Oh, woe is me, T' have seen what I have seen, see what I see! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
You got a lot of nerve to say you are my friend--you'd know what a drag it is to see you:

Bob Dylan pitching for Chrysler at the Super Bowl.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I liked it but I knew right away it was going to upset a lot of people. Because a lot of people think Bob Dylan owes them something, or something. They ought to know by now Bob Dylan does what he wants no matter what anyone else want him to do, which is one of the things that makes him a legend. And that's the name of that tune.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Funny I was just about to post my favorite commercial of the night: Bob Dylan.

I thought the spot was brilliant. I particularly liked the background music which was Dylan's Things Have Changed.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2014-02-03 08:49, Marlin1894 wrote:
I liked it but I knew right away it was going to upset a lot of people. Because a lot of people think Bob Dylan owes them something, or something. They ought to know by now Bob Dylan does what he wants no matter what anyone else want him to do, which is one of the things that makes him a legend. And that's the name of that tune.

But being a legend doesn't put him above criticism either. But Dylan sold out years ago, but nobody bothered calling him on it.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2014-02-03 09:31, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

But being a legend doesn't put him above criticism either.

Of course not. Does anything, put anyone, above criticism nowadays? Has it ever?
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I used to talk with a guy who was a sales manager with Fender instruments which was owned by Columbia Broadcasting at the time, who Dylan recorded for. He was told to go to the recording studio and get a shot of Dylan holding a Fender Guitar. Dylan refused to pose. A quick call to his bosses "Mr. Dylan doesn't want to pose." The bosses said, "Oh, Mr. Dylan doesn't want to pose does he?" The guy came down to the studio, pulled Dylan aside for 5 minutes, and suddenly Mr. Dylan was ready to pose. But he did it complete Dylan style: he had them pose him holding a Fender Bass, something he never played. . My friend took the shot. and here it is: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/colum......ore.html
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2014-02-03 09:31, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

Dylan sold out years ago.

Starting when he walked off Maggies Farm in 65 at Newport I suppose.

"I try my best/To be just like I am/But everybody wants you/To be just like them."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Neil Young called it a couple of decades ago.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I thought yesterday's commercial was pretty good. A LOT better than the commercial he did about 8 years ago when he had the pencil thin mustache and cowboy hat and was selling perfume or something.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Bob Dylan doing a Victoria's Secret ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onYLwFr2OZY
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
Thanks for that Magnus. Thanks Neil Young. At least someone gets it. It's about class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QsNXd57Ppw&t=30s
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Class?

I don't think Dylan needs to apologize to anyone.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2014-02-03 12:04, Slide wrote:

And honestly, I don't think he needs anyone defending him either. He's given plenty. And of all the ads he's done, and the way he's let his music be used, this one is probably the least upsetting for me. To me it's vintage Dylan anyway, I'm glad it upsets some people. If there is a guy you should never expect to adhere to your own personal idealism, it's probably Bob Dylan. If that means you disregard the man or his contributions, so be it.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1195 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
My favorite commercial was the Time Machine commercial. Unless the woman on he Go Daddy spot was really quitting her job.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2014-02-03 12:13, Marlin1894 wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-03 12:04, Slide wrote:

And honestly, I don't think he needs anyone defending him either. He's given plenty. And of all the ads he's done, and the way he's let his music be used, this one is probably the least upsetting for me. To me it's vintage Dylan anyway, I'm glad it upsets some people. If there is a guy you should never expect to adhere to your own personal idealism, it's probably Bob Dylan. If that means you disregard the man or his contributions, so be it.

It's neither asking him to apologize, nor disregarding the man or his contributions, nor am I saying he has no right to his own actions; what I am saying is that it is classless. And to applaud him for his edgy free spirited out of the box anarcho-libertarian rebellious move of making Chrysler advertisements is pretty laughable to me.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1195 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
So, is the complaint that he's doing any ad, or an ad for Chrysler, or an ad for any corporation, or an ad for an American corporation, or what?

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Calm down. He did Cadillac ad 5 years ago for Pete's sake. Now all of the sudden your tearing all your posters down because of this ad?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1195 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-02-03 08:49, Marlin1894 wrote:

I posted this some time ago. It was a hilarious (unsuccessful) attempt to get Dylan to say that those who disliked Obama did so out of racism (a.k.a. The "Garofalo Protocol."

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/reply......"e=1

Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
He has done many ads: Victoria Secrets, Cadillac, Chrysler.

Is it classless when Jerry Seinfeld does a commercial?

Dylan always called himself a Song and Dance Man. Never knew a Song and Dance man to turn down a commercial.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1195 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Oh, woe is me, T' have seen what I have seen, see what I see! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL