The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Oh, woe is me, T' have seen what I have seen, see what I see! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I thought the Super Bowl commercial was tasteful.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
What was wrong with the commercial? I thought it was very tasteful, and actually moving.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-02-03 15:30, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-03 15:15, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-03 14:55, Slide wrote:
" Does an artist like Dylan undermine his credibility as a meaningful songwriter with dubious alliances"

No.


+1

The songs are the songs; they're what define his worth (or lack thereof) as a songwriter. Anyone who needs to know about his business dealings to evaluate his songwriting ability isn't a music critic, but a social critic in a musical critic's clothing.

Sheesh, can we build a better strawman than that please? No one said anything about his art.


That's kind of my point. It's folly to talk about his "credibility as a meaningful songwriter" without talking about his art. That's where any credibility he has comes from.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"Pete ain't lickin' the special sauce off his fingers is he? "

Pete tried to cut the power lines with an axe to keep Dylan from going electric at Newport. I don't think Dylan cared what people thought about him then either. Didn't stop him from being a great artist.

did you ever think; maybe he really likes the car? Maybe he feels that the car industry needs to come back to detroit and can use a little help? What about the idea that he is bringing attention to the fact that Americans used to own the car industry and could again? Maybe that is why he did it. To me, the last lines summed it up: you can let germany brew your beer, you can let Switerland make your watches, you can have China put together your phones: We will make your cars. I think it is a good sentiment, and I only wish the product lived up to the ideal.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Bob Dylan, confounding 'em for 50 years and still going strong.

Who would've thought that in 2014 Bob Dylan would wind up producing the most compelling two minutes of the entire Superbowl broadcast? I love it.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Wow. I can't believe I agree with Slide on something.

Quote:
On 2014-02-03 15:26, landmark wrote:
Look, I would think it's self-evident, but I guess not.
There's art and there's commercialism.
I missed the Victoria's Secret thing and so on, so I guessed I've been spared of a few decades of Dylan's commercial crassness.
Next up: Pete Seeger for McRib Sandwiches. Finger-pluckin' good!

Lobo: Holden wouldn't approve.


Ok, maybe I'm dense, but I still don't get it.

Commercial crassness. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but I guess you have a problem with commercials and you thought Dylan above them? You think commercials are an evil foisted upon us Americans by the evil corporatists? Would you have been OK if he'd been selling union membership? Or are commercials OK but just beneath a true socialist? I don't know. Like I said, I don't get it. Seriously, I'd like to know what it is.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Hey, anybody is entitled to appear in a commercial if they want to. That said, I've never seen any of the previous Dylan ads. But I did see the one during the Super Bowl. And I didn't like it, because for Bob Dylan to endorse a product just doesn't seem credible.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Bob dylan has been endorsing products since the early 60's.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I had no idea! To me, it seems like a sell-out. I just can't take him seriously when he's pitching a product.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I don't understand how you can say that Arthur? Aren't you selling a product everytime you walk onstage. 1980's philip Glass music was also used in a commercial yesterday. Was Philip Glass also selling out?
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
What I'm saying is that he didn't come across as sincere. Dylan's acting was contrived, and he didn't convince me that he really believes in the product.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Well, that's not really what you said but if that's what you meant, ok.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
OK, Rockwell, that's what I meant. From the moment he started speaking, it just felt wrong to me. Which is why I have to conclude that he did it for the money. Not because he really believes in the product. Come to think of it, how many product spokespeople actually believe in the products they get hired to promote? (Except for those folks who are selling their own stuff?)
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Edit
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-02-03 18:18, arthur stead wrote:
OK, Rockwell, that's what I meant. From the moment he started speaking, it just felt wrong to me. Which is why I have to conclude that he did it for the money. Not because he really believes in the product. Come to think of it, how many product spokespeople actually believe in the products they get hired to promote? (Except for those folks who are selling their own stuff?)


Maybe he's just a bad actor.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Arthur, that might make sense if Dylan was known to do things for the money. Throughout his entire career, Dylan has never shown that he did anything other than what he wanted to do. And he has never seemed short of money, or desirous of wealth as an end in itself. Isn't it more likely: he did it because he believed in it?
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Wow, we must have really seen the wrong commercial: I thought Dylan reminded me of John Housman. I thought he delivered his lines masterfully .
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Slide and Lobo, maybe you're right. Perhaps a more competent actor would have persuaded me.

Which reminds me of a story: One night in my miss-spent youth, I was partying with some people, one of whom was a well-known actress (who shall remain nameless). While snorting line after line together, she told me she was filming a commercial the next morning ... for an anti-drug campaign!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Since trading posts with you guys, I did a search to see if Dylan actually drives a Chrysler. Could not verify that. But I did come across this interesting article from the entertainment trade magazine, Variety:

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/super-bo......1083508/
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Well there you go.

Dylan has always been a master at self promotion. The biggest TV audience in history just saw and heard his music. Everyone is talking about him.

You just been schooled, sucker.

Or as Dylan says in the chorus of the song they used in the commercial: "I used to care. But things have changed."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Oh, woe is me, T' have seen what I have seen, see what I see! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL