The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Electronic Die Cutter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jason Simonds
View Profile
Veteran user
Pensacola, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
Has anyone tried using an Electronic Die Cutter (like a Cricut) with the blank Playing Card Cardboard sold at Lybrary? I was looking at their Lybrary's KardKutter but for about the same price I can get an electronic die cutter.

Here's the one I'm leaning towards:

http://die-cutting-machines-review.topte......iew.html

Although, my wife would prefer the Cricut, since she does scrapbooking.
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Veteran user
Pensacola, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
So after more research, I've ruled out the Craftwell eCraft and the Cricut. The eCraft has very poor reviews. The Cricut won't let you customize the radius of a rounded rectangle.

My wife suggested I check out the Silhouette because her friend has one. I tried it's design software. It does not do Metric but I was able to make a 1/8 inch radius rounded corner on a 2.48in x 3.46in rectangle. The reviews on Amazon are pretty stellar. My wife sent and email asking her friend how she likes her Silhouette.. It would be sweet to try it before I buy it.

If it doesn't pan out, there's always the KardKutter. Here's a pretty solid review on it:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8500700#8500700

The biggest knock on it, is the corner rounder. Of course that guy was making his own game that had 425 cards. He said the KardKutter would cut 425 cards in 45 minutes. Rounding 4 corners on 425 cards sounds tedious.
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Veteran user
Pensacola, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
My wife's friend made some cuts for me using generic card stock and plain paper. Here's how they turned out.

Here is a plain paper cut out sitting on a bicycle card. You can kinda see the card underneath.

I moved the cut out so you can see the card.

Here's the other cuts.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
My wife has a Cameo by Silhouette. I've used it for a couple of card related gimmicks but not for an actual card.
I just have those done by the pros because they are usually better and really not that expensive.
But the computerized paper cutters are great for certain things.

For instance I wanted some black self-adhesive dots to fit my STC gimmick for a cartoon or black hole patter line. Couldn't find any the right size either online or at any brick and mortars so I made some on her cutter. It produced what will probably be a lifetime supply for my needs out of a 12"x12" piece of self-stick vinyl. They work and fit perfectly.

Certain things you just can't find anywhere else so you have to either befriend someone with a cutter or marry one, although it may cheaper to just buy a cutter yourself at that point. Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Those look nice Jason. I play around with splitting and DMT. Fun to make a few of my own gaffs. I also made my own card trimmer and make strippers and svengullies (have the corner rounder tool from Lybrary.com). Have seen the Kard Kutter, card stock and finish they sell also but havent got into the "design" phase of gaffing yet. Looks like you could make some pretty cool gaffs with what you got there.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Veteran user
Pensacola, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
It's funny you mention the corner rounder. That was one of my motivations into looking into these die cutters. My other motivation was that the KardKutter is what Alton Brown would call a unitasker. This is an easier sell to my wife because she'll be able to use it for her crafting needs.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Electronic Die Cutter (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL