The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » For those bilingual (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

partner103
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Ontario
7 Posts

Profile of partner103
Hi,

Quick question to those who are bilingual. Is there a difference how one conducts hypnosis in this case?
Due to my inexperience I wanted to know if doing hypnosis is different in another language.

Example: sleep or imagine in English.
Would you just translate this to let's say French,Dutch, German, Polish etc.. or any other language? Or one would use different words.

Any help is appreciated.
J
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Hypnosis is about communicating ideas not specific translations.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I do it in my native language all the time.

The words have to suit the idea, direct translations sound weird. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
partner103
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Ontario
7 Posts

Profile of partner103
I agree with you, I just wanted to see if the same "power words" are being used.
For example, I've seen a lot of people use sleep or imagine, but that may be different in another language.
partner103
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Ontario
7 Posts

Profile of partner103
Quote:

The words have to suit the idea, direct translations sound weird

That's the one I was after! Smile

Thank you
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2014-02-05 15:59, partner103 wrote:
Quote:

The words have to suit the idea, direct translations sound weird

That's the one I was after! Smile

Thank you

You're welcome. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
As Danny pointed out, it is about the ideas rather than a direct translation.

In some Nordic languages you will struggle to form an imperative command 'Sleep'.

In German, use of ambiguity can be difficult.

You have to just take the idea wrapped up in the sentence and make adjustments as you see fit.

Best regards,

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
partner103
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Ontario
7 Posts

Profile of partner103
Thanks Anthony... I think with more experience this should probably come naturally as well.
-J
TimonK
View Profile
Veteran user
Amsterdam
375 Posts

Profile of TimonK
Quote:
On 2014-02-07 08:49, partner103 wrote:
Thanks Anthony... I think with more experience this should probably come naturally as well.
-J

It will. What Anthony said is spot-on. I perform in English, Dutch and German - each language has it's own unique characteristics, making a direct translation of hypnotic scripts often impracticle. However, once you understand hypnosis & suggestions as a whole, scripts will come to you naturally in any language Smile

Success!

T.
"But overcome space, and all we have left is Here. Overcome time, and all we have left is Now. And in the middle of Here and Now, don't you think that we might see each other once or twice?"
- Richard Bach, 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull'

www.timonkrause.com
tiriri
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
247 Posts

Profile of tiriri
I do hypnosis shows in English and Spanish. I have even done a few bilingual shows using both languages at the same time, alternating them for the volunteers that speak one or the other.
I have found that the "power words" vary from one language to the other. Some of them are the same like "sleep", but for example in English "Sleep Deep" sounds good, while in Spanish it doesn't work. Instead I use other words like "deeply", anchoring the "ply" part, which in Spanish is the same as "mind" and works very well for me as I repeat that word within other words several times.
So, I would say that in each language you should find out which words are good for hypnotic suggestions. I have found also that the NLP principles of hypnotic language work very well to find the right combination of words.

Giovanni.
TimonK
View Profile
Veteran user
Amsterdam
375 Posts

Profile of TimonK
There's a video up somewhere, some hypnotist hypnotising a participant while they don't actually share a language. They communicate (verbally) very briefly using broken English and then proceed to hypnosis. Not sure about the actual details, but the point is that hypnosis is not even language or word dependent provided you can communicate your intention/the idea somehow.

All the best,

T.
"But overcome space, and all we have left is Here. Overcome time, and all we have left is Now. And in the middle of Here and Now, don't you think that we might see each other once or twice?"
- Richard Bach, 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull'

www.timonkrause.com
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
225 Posts

Profile of JonChase
I have done a couple of shows using an interpreter in Italian and Arabic. Never had a problem.

once the connection is made and the condition induced, I have stood in front of the group of volunteers and simply lowered a hand and closed my eyes and they have 'gone under'. The big problem is then delivering the suggestion so that there is no ambiguity.
Smiles

Jon Chase

http://jonathanchase.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » For those bilingual (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL