The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Unbelievable! State Shuts Down Kid's Cupcake Business! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
So here is a kid, working, making money and doing well for herself. And what does the state do? Shut down her business and tells her to buy a million dollar cupcake business! Why should she have to buy a million dollar cupcake business if her cupcakes meet safety standards, she has a business license with her parent's permission and pays taxes on her profits as well as sales taxes on any product sold? No wonder the state's budgets are crunched and jobs are hard to find. That state is killing jobs and tax revenues! Here is the link:

http://gma.yahoo.com/cupcake-business-ru......ies.html

Way to reward a kid for working hard, making money, contributing to society, being creative and entrprenial by shutting down her business. Way to teach hard work and responsibility!
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
While Illinois had plenty of faults, you failed to mention that she is making these in the kitchen in her home. This is a health department violation. This law would apply to anyone conducting a similar business. I'm also not sure where you get the "buy a million dollar cupcake business".
~michael baker
The Magic Company
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-02-05 21:59, Michael Baker wrote:
While Illinois had plenty of faults, you failed to mention that she is making these in the kitchen in her home. This is a health department violation. This law would apply to anyone conducting a similar business. I'm also not sure where you get the "buy a million dollar cupcake business".

I've heard that some restaurants or similar businesses were started in kitchen homes (of course, these businesses might not have been started in the state of Illinois either and this makes me question if the state of Illonois is a great place to open a business and if the state of Illinois is hostile to business; I live in the South and as much as I have complained about the South at times, there is one thing I am glad about, it's a very business friendly place and a great place to start a business and get ahead, which also helps to create jobs and tax revenue for both the state and the US Department of Treasury).

Given this is the case, so long as a kitchen meets health inspection standards why should somebody have to buy or lease commercial property just to run a cupcake business (and why should it be required as part of any health standard for that matter if the kitchen is clean and sanitary and the people who work the business meet safety and health standards)? Since you mention health violations, I am sure there are some restaurants in Illinois that probably are not a place somebody should eat at, yet the state doesn't shut them down.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2818 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
There is no problem if a kitchen meets health inspection standards.
But most private homes don't meet the requirements.

The health department don't like the family dog licking the bowls. Smile

Yes the health department does inspect and can shut down restaurants if they don't meet certain standards. All restaurants must post the inspection report somewhere inside the restaurant. Look on the wall, it has a grade on it, A, B, C, etc. If it's less than C, leave. Smile

Tom
Each Day Is a Blessing or a Lesson - Most Are Both

www.tomboleware.com
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-02-05 22:27, TomBoleware wrote:
There is no problem if a kitchen meets health inspection standards.
But most private homes don't meet the requirements.

The health department don't like the family dog licking the bowls. Smile

Yes the health department does inspect and can shut down restaurants if they don't meet certain standards. All restaurants must post the inspection report somewhere inside the restaurant. Look on the wall, it has a grade on it, A, B, C, etc. If it's less than C, leave. Smile

Tom

I found this on ehow about how to start a home based restaurant: http://www.ehow.com/how_5329229_start-ho......ant.html I don't see what the big deal is as long as the kitchen and those who work the business meet health and safety standards. When I was a kid living in upstate New York, I remember eating at a home based restaurant and most of the community would dine there. They had a tent set up in the front yard where everybody sat in and was served. I visited my old hometown a few years ago and I think it's still in business and they open on a seasonal basis. My understanding was that they ran/run a very good restaurant and it was cleaner and safer than most commercial property restaurants. My wife (who is from the state of Vermont from a city not too far from my old hometown) on the other hand told me a few horror stories of commercial property restaurants not being clean and a few of them did get shutdown because they did not meet health and safety standards. I am also sure their are restaurants that are substandard on health safety issues and yet probably don't get shutdown when they should.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16260 Posts

Profile of tommy
It's all part of the wall street banksters bolshevik revolution, the global elite, the illuminati and the rise of hitler.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2818 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
If it meets health and safety standards, there is no problem.
But first they have to come do an inspection to make sure it is.

The health department can inspect anywhere there is food being prepared for the public.
They even inspect the hot dog venders. Normally not a problem getting a permit if everything is kept clean.

Anybody selling food to the public is supposed to have a permit showing they have been inspected and passed the test.

Tom
Each Day Is a Blessing or a Lesson - Most Are Both

www.tomboleware.com
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-02-05 22:54, TomBoleware wrote:
If it meets health and safety standards, there is no problem.
But first they have to come do an inspection to make sure it is.

The health department can inspect anywhere there is food being prepared for the public.
They even inspect the hot dog venders. Normally not a problem getting a permit if everything is kept clean.

Anybody selling food to the public is supposed to have a permit showing they have been inspected and passed the test.

Tom

I agree, they need to be inspected if they are selling food to the public. Great thing about GA is they allow certain goods to be prepared in your home and sold to the public, but you still have to meet safety and health standards: http://www.atlantamagazine.com/covereddi......inesses2 . That's one of things I like about GA is that it's business friendly and a great place to get ahead. One of the problems the state ran across was that people started doing business under the table since it was impracticle to open a bakery on commercial property because it was cost prohibitive. So, people start selling product under the table. Non-millionaires got to make money, pay bills and get ahead too! This was a good rule and change the state of GA made because now you can legally sell certain good prepared from your home and everybody wins. State gets tax revenue, the business makes money and the customer can purchase certain baked goods. Everybody wins.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So now in this case you seem to be against intrusive government?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
So where is the part about the kid being forced to buy a million dollar cupcake business?

The first thing I noticed when I looked at the article was the photo of the girl preparing cookies. Did you notice anything missing? (Like the protective gloves you're supposed to wear when preparing food for public consumption)

The article also noted that the law was applied uniformly and that the mother was working with health department officials to resolve the issues.

Why the outrage? It's about public safety, that's all.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
No need for gloves while mixing ingredients. SMH
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Quote:
On 2014-02-06 03:52, mastermindreader wrote:
The first thing I noticed when I looked at the article was the photo of the girl preparing cookies. Did you notice anything missing? (Like the protective gloves you're supposed to wear when preparing food for public consumption)

Apparently you have never seems sushi being made right in front of you with bare hands and no gloves.
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Hmm...

Seems weird. When my kids were in school, we did bake sales all the time. That is how groups like the theater group made money to help stage their high school productions. What is the difference between that and this. Some missing piece here (and probably a jealous parent involved somehow).
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Big Brother is protecting you from the ravages of KIDS! Show some appreciation- you wouldn't want to develop some immunity, you know...

Click here to view attached image.
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
Hmm...

Seems weird. When my kids were in school, we did bake sales all the time. That is how groups like the theater group made money to help stage their high school productions. What is the difference between that and this. Some missing piece here (and probably a jealous parent involved somehow).

Or a local cupcake business diming them out to the authorities to get them shutdown so they won't have any competition.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Next thing you know will happen is that Magicians will not be allowed to use RABBITS.
Dennis Michael
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2014-02-06 08:59, Kevin Ridgeway wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-06 03:52, mastermindreader wrote:

Apparently you have never seems sushi being made right in front of you with bare hands and no gloves.
Not so much anymore. CA passed a law requiring all food handlers, including sushi chefs, to wear gloves.

While it does prevent certain types of contamination, there's evidence it's actually less sanitary, since people are less inclined to wash their hands when wearing gloves- which leads to things like cross-contamination of raw meats and uncooked vegetables.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

The point is that NO one said she had to buy a million dollar cupcake business as breathlessly alleged by the OP. They told her she needed to have a facility (either a bakery or a separate kitchen) that was in compliance with health codes. It's easy to understand why most home kitchens wouldn't comply- does the family have pets? Are their non-employees of the business who are free to use the area and enter and leave at will? Has the girl, and everyone else who has access to the kitchen, taken prescribed food handlers a preparers training and have appropriate licenses? etc. etc.)

The comparison to charitable bake sales is weak. This is about a for-profit commercial enterprise.

(Note that she's not wearing a hair net either. Smile )

I get the impression that many here have never worked in the food service industry.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2014-02-06 12:27, mastermindreader wrote:
The point is that NO one said she had to buy a million dollar cupcake business as breathlessly alleged by the OP. They told her she needed to have a facility (either a bakery or a separate kitchen) that was in compliance with health codes. It's easy to understand why most home kitchens wouldn't comply- does the family have pets? Are their non-employees of the business who are free to use the area and enter and leave at will? Has the girl, and everyone else who has access to the kitchen, taken prescribed food handlers a preparers training and have appropriate licenses? etc. etc.)

The comparison to charitable bake sales is weak. This is about a for-profit commercial enterprise.

(Note that she's not wearing a hair net either. Smile )

I get the impression that many here have never worked in the food service industry.

1. Grammar police= "there"

2. Are family pets automatically guilty of contamination?

3. Would a signed disclaimer suffice "I understand this cup cake was made by a little girl, fully admit that I do not know where her hands have been, and take onto myself all responsibility, liability, etc"

4. I have worked a good bit in a number of food industry endeavors, starting with a slaughter facility. I believe there is absolutely no comparison, but to the augmentation of arguments in favor of cutting the child some slack...

p.s. Add "or upon what area of the cupcake her hair might fall"...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

"Their" was the result of a mistake when I edited the sentence. Thanks for pointing it out, though. I need to be more careful with my proof reading.

But, again, this is about someone desiring to run a commercial business. Isn't it a good idea that she learns what that actually entails?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Unbelievable! State Shuts Down Kid's Cupcake Business! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL