The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Unbelievable! State Shuts Down Kid's Cupcake Business! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I have worked in a resturant business. My ex girl friends family owned a Café, where I'd occasionally cook. (Yes, I had a license to do so.) The idea that a separate kitchen to make cupcakes costs a million dollars is ridiculous. NOWHERE in the article does it say that it does. That's simply your incorrect assumption.

Health rules exist for a reason.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On 2014-02-08 23:15, mastermindreader wrote:
I have worked in a resturant business. My ex girl friends family owned a Café, where I'd occasionally cook. (Yes, I had a license to do so.) The idea that a separate kitchen to make cupcakes costs a million dollars is ridiculous. NOWHERE in the article does it say that it does. That's simply your incorrect assumption.

Health rules exist for a reason.

Some of that equipment I have seen in bakeries and restaurants look awfully expensive to me. And then if you do own a full fledged bakery or restaurant, you are responsible for your employees, paying them, making sure you hire good employees, interviewing employees, then having to pay payroll taxes. Honestly, even me as an adult and a new entrepreneur myself, I am not ready for that responsiblity yet. I don't have employees in my business and I know, that's a huge responsiblity when you start hiring employees. And you have to be sure you hire good employees because they represent you and interact with your customers. The people you hire have a direct reflection on you as the owner. Employee theft is another big problem in the restaurant industry, so as an owner, you have to be careful who you hire and be vigalent about prosecuting any employees who steal from you (after all you don't want word to get out on the street that your business is an easy target for theft). So as an owner, you could find yourself pressing criminal charges and getting restitution from your former employees who stole from you as well in addition to all the other responsibilities you already have.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5852 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
What is your experience purchasing bakery machinery or starting a cupcake making business?
AllAboutMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
California
333 Posts

Profile of AllAboutMagic
He most likely has none, General Magican routinely states his general assumptions as though they are facts. Have fun arguing otherwise! Smile What started as a little girl wanting to make cupcakes turned into a a large scale bakery and a bunch of other unrelated stuff in order to justify the million dollar claim.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2819 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
She could always just rent a food wagon, park it in her yard, and bake away.

Cupcake trucks come in all shapes and sizes. Some are just for delivery, but some do come
with approved stoves and sinks installed.

Of course if you not old enough to drive....you may need the push cart type. Smile

Tom
Kind People Are The Best Kind Of People

www.tomboleware.com
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1223 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Check out http://www.sweetstory.com

When I'm not playing G.I. Joe or performing magic I have a "grown up job" as a financial advisor/planner. These guys are friends/clients of mine. If you look at the site you will see a commercial sized bakery, employees, ect. It was well below 100,000 dollars to start all that. I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire, just putting figures into perspective.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
What is your experience purchasing bakery machinery or starting a cupcake making business?

Well, I don't have any experience in purchasing bakery machinery or a cupcake making business. It just seemed like an expensive undertaking if you ask me and some things are not always as simple as they may seem.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5852 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I've worked in a bakery and in restaurants. The million dollar guess tag is way off base. That doesn't even touch on renting a commercial kitchen three days a week.

So what it boils down to for me is this. Would you be leading the outcry if people got sick and died from eating cupcakes made by a little girl in her parents kitchen with no inspections or licensing?
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
It was well below 100,000 dollars to start all that. I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire, just putting figures into perspective.

I checked out the website and all I saw were things that talked about books and writing. Even if the figure was well below 100 grand, I imagine it's still expensive. I mean 50 grand is a boatload of money to me, so you can imagine that I view 100 grand as a ton of money. Money isn't something that grows on trees. A dollar is blood, sweat and tears.

Quote:
That doesn't even touch on renting a commercial kitchen three days a week.

I never knew you could rent a commercial kitchen. I just saw the "buy a bakery" part of the article and I was like "who has a million dollars to just outright buy a bakery on some good commercial property?"

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
AllAboutMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
California
333 Posts

Profile of AllAboutMagic
Quote:
On 2014-02-09 00:29, General_Magician wrote:
Well, I don't have any experience in purchasing bakery machinery or a cupcake making business. It just seemed like an expensive undertaking if you ask me and some things are not always as simple as they may seem.

I don't think you have to worry about us asking you.....LMAO......maybe if we needed someone to SWAG it (Seriously Wild A** Guess) I am still scratching my head as to how a small kitchen for a girl to bake cupcakes turned into a full fledged restaurant bakery. Oh yeah, Bob and Tom called you out and you needed to justify another assumption stated as a fact. And apparently the full fledged bakery/restaurant is more than 90% cheaper than you predicted. Good thing you're not a mentalist!! Smile

Is it really that hard to say...."yeah, you're right. I just pulled that figure out of my a•• with no basis to go on."
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1223 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Sorry about that, it is http://www.SweetStoryBakery.com
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2014-02-09 00:35, General_Magician wrote:
Quote:
It was well below 100,000 dollars to start all that. I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire, just putting figures into perspective.

I checked out the website and all I saw were things that talked about books and writing. Even if the figure was well below 100 grand, I imagine it's still expensive. I mean 50 grand is a boatload of money to me, so you can imagine that I view 100 grand as a ton of money. Money isn't something that grows on trees. A dollar is blood, sweat and tears.

Quote:
That doesn't even touch on renting a commercial kitchen three days a week.

I never knew you could rent a commercial kitchen. I just saw the "buy a bakery" part of the article and I was like "who has a million dollars to just outright buy a bakery on some good commercial property?"

So basically you jumped on a conclusion and rode it across the finish line.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
I don't think you have to worry about us asking you.....LMAO......maybe if we needed someone to SWAG it (Seriously Wild A** Guess) I am still scratching my head as to how a small kitchen for a girl to bake cupcakes turned into a full fledged restaurant bakery. Oh yeah, Bob and Tom called you out and you needed to justify another assumption stated as a fact. And apparently the full fledged bakery/restaurant is more than 90% cheaper than you predicted. Good thing you're not a mentalist!!

Is it really that hard to say...."yeah, you're right. I just pulled that figure out of my a•• with no basis to go on."

Ha! Now you know I wasn't really throwing any real figures out there, I was just exaggerating figuratively in a funny kind of way to highlight a point: it costs a lot of money to buy a bakery or restaurant and run it!

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
AllAboutMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
California
333 Posts

Profile of AllAboutMagic
I know you weren't, I think we all knew you weren't. However, reading the justification was amusing to say the least. Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16262 Posts

Profile of tommy
If all the short people worked for themselves it would put the tall people out of business. Them that have the gold make the rules. The rules which them tall people who have the gold have made, are such that the short people can not make little cupcakes in their little kitchens. When the tall people break their own rules the short people bail them out, for the tall people are too tall to jail. The short people vote for media size people who work for the tall people, for reasons unknown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvgLkuEtkA
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2014-02-09 10:49, General_Magician wrote:
...I was just exaggerating figuratively in a funny kind of way to highlight a point: it costs a lot of money to buy a bakery or restaurant and run it!

She wasn't asked to buy a bakery or restaurant. She was told she needed a separate kitchen that was in compliance with the health code. (Last I looked, a kitchen isn't the same as a bakery OR a restaurant.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Unbelievable! State Shuts Down Kid's Cupcake Business! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL