The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Unbelievable! State Shuts Down Kid's Cupcake Business! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I agree. Perhaps it is just how the news was couched. It did not seem any regulatory individual was being helpful or instructive. There is also a part of me, as I am in a very regulated endeavor, that chafes at what seems to me to be an over-abundance of regulation. I mean, really, why can't I buy a cupcake from a little girl in my neighborhood? Does the kid who cuts my grass need to follow all of the laws a commercial company must follow? I agree that this is a good lesson for the child, but shouldn't they get to be kids a little longer?

Interesting debate! Thanks!

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Why should age matter? I want to buy a cupcake from the old lady down the block. She has experience.
It's not about safety, never was.
It's about money.
Money for the permits and tracking sales for taxes.
Wouldn't it be nice if everyone cut the B.S. and come out and say it?
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:

The first thing I noticed when I looked at the article was the photo of the girl preparing cookies. Did you notice anything missing? (Like the protective gloves you're supposed to wear when preparing food for public consumption)

Or one could, I dunno, wash their hands.
Made a lot of very tasty meals for lots of people and never once donned plastic gloves that impair dexterity and would make it impossible to prepare the meal.
It also needs to be said I have never made anyone sick from improper food handling, or storage.
If I had only used gloves I could have increased their lifespan, made rainbows shoot out their backsides, and doubled their success at the track.
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Would the outrage be there if it was an old Hispanic lady selling tacos out of her van?
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Clearly you CAN get food poisoning from a cup cake: http://knucklecrack.blogspot.com/2008/06/food-poisoned.html
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Or pot out of pocket.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
I demand my constitutional right to be free from an opressive government denying my god given right to be infected with salmonella!!!

Fascist Ba$&^rds!!!!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-02-06 12:27, mastermindreader wrote:
The comparison to charitable bake sales is weak. This is about a for-profit commercial enterprise.

If the pretext is that it's a health issue, the ultimate disposition of the revenues seems weak to me, as a distinguishing factor.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2014-02-07 11:51, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:

I agree. Perhaps it is just how the news was couched. It did not seem any regulatory individual was being helpful or instructive. There is also a part of me, as I am in a very regulated endeavor, that chafes at what seems to me to be an over-abundance of regulation. I mean, really, why can't I buy a cupcake from a little girl in my neighborhood? Does the kid who cuts my grass need to follow all of the laws a commercial company must follow? I agree that this is a good lesson for the child, but shouldn't they get to be kids a little longer?

FWIW, one of the articles mentioned that she has done about $4000 in sales every year (about $80 every week), over the last 2 years (so, since she was 9 years old). See:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-......mit.html

I don't know what the cut off is or should be, between a kid being a kid and a kid running a business. I certainly was never earning $4000 (or anything close to that), even adjusting for inflation, when I was 9. I can't say I knew anyone who ever did.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I still want to hear where the state is requiring her to spend a million dollars.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-02-07 14:48, mastermindreader wrote:
I still want to hear where the state is requiring her to spend a million dollars.

She could take out a loan and finance the startup. Smile
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
There are commercial kitchens that can be rented on temporary basis. Given this little girls spirit and her family's support. I'm willing to be they will find suitable space or get their home kitchen to standards and they'll continue business...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Quote:

The op wrote it.

It's on the internt now.

ergo...

It's true!

duh.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Seems to me the OP may have been drowning in the hyper bowl. Still, that 4K would quickly fade to a much smaller gross once the regulators get to dance on her tune. Meanwhile, Halliburton has filed all the necessary papers...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
AllAboutMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
California
333 Posts

Profile of AllAboutMagic
Quote:

Don't hold your breath. LOL I doubt you will get a response.
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2014-02-05 22:27, TomBoleware wrote:
There is no problem if a kitchen meets health inspection standards.
But most private homes don't meet the requirements.

The health department don't like the family dog licking the bowls. Smile

Yes the health department does inspect and can shut down restaurants if they don't meet certain standards. All restaurants must post the inspection report somewhere inside the restaurant. Look on the wall, it has a grade on it, A, B, C, etc. If it's less than C, leave. Smile

Tom

I worked on renovating a Friendly's Restaurant years ago. I couldn't believe the amount of cockroaches hiding in this restaurant. Not very impressed with the health departments standards if they let this go on. I'd rather have someone cook in their home than this filthy place!
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
The Health Dept. is yet another racket.
The tests they force people to take and pay for are way short on test and long on pay.
They could care less if one walks out knowing squat.
Inspectors are cut from the same cloth.
All of them? No, but I've seen the lion's share be inept at best.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On 2014-02-08 16:13, ralphs007 wrote:

I worked on renovating a Friendly's Restaurant years ago. I couldn't believe the amount of cockroaches hiding in this restaurant. Not very impressed with the health departments standards if they let this go on. I'd rather have someone cook in their home than this filthy place!

The managers train the cockroaches and rats to hide while the health department is there. Smile

Oh I'm sure they miss a lot of things. Normally unless they receive a complaint, they only come once or twice per year. One visit is usually planned, the other one is unannounced. But most managers have a good idea when they are coming and will get things ready.

Still, I say it's a good law because they do keep many honest and they do have the power shut the bad ones down.

Nowadays in many states, you can go online and check the scores for the inspections. This has helped in making restaurants want to stay up to par. Most places have no problem following the rules.

Tom
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2014-02-05 21:37, General_Magician wrote:
So here is a kid, working, making money and doing well for herself. And what does the state do? Shut down her business and tells her to buy a million dollar cupcake business! Why should she have to buy a million dollar cupcake business if her cupcakes meet safety standards, she has a business license with her parent's permission and pays taxes on her profits as well as sales taxes on any product sold? No wonder the state's budgets are crunched and jobs are hard to find. That state is killing jobs and tax revenues! Here is the link:

http://gma.yahoo.com/cupcake-business-ru......ies.html

Way to reward a kid for working hard, making money, contributing to society, being creative and entrprenial by shutting down her business. Way to teach hard work and responsibility!

There's nothing in the story that says she "has to buy a million dollar cupcake business" only that she has to find a facilty that meets their qualifications.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
What!? Here in the article it states:
Quote:
Good Morning America Article States

"Chloe, 11, said she was told by health officials in Madison County, Ill., that if she wants to continue selling cupcakes she will need to buy a bakery or build a separate kitchen."

Now, if you buy a bakery, like this health official told this little girl, it must cost a fortune to pay for all that equipment and overhead cost that is associated with buying and maintaining that bakery, plus all the attorney fees that you would need to spend to protect yourself as best as possible from any possible lawsuits that could arise during the course of business and then their is the leasing and taxes you would have to worry about as well. It would a cost a fortune to just outright buy a bakery. And depending on what kind of bakery you buy, you could end up paying expensive franchising fees as well if you are buying into a franchise.

Now, I would assume when you are first starting out in the cupcake business, it would be a good idea probably to lease a kitchen or bakery that meets state law and health requirements for whatever time you need to prepare product for sale to the public because it would be cheaper than just outright buying a bakery on expensive commercial property or buying the expensive equipment a bakery needs and then leasing space on good location of commericial property. It's not going to be cheap, that's for sure.

Most people just don't have the capital to just outright buy a bakery on commerical property and some people certainly would not want to take out a loan (Lobo) to buy a bakery on commericial property either, because you could be spending a lifetime paying it back or you could declare bankruptcy, have your credit ruined and then still possibly end up paying the loan back for the rest of your life even if you do declare bankruptcy. However, leasing a kitchen that meets state law and health standards might be a viable alternative without having to take a out a loan. Besides, a kid this age is probably a little too young to be running a full feldged bakery located on commercial property. It's good that a child has an enterprenial spirit which should be encouraged because it teaches the value of hard work, earning a dollar and responsibility; but children should also have the opportunity to be children as well and not be burden with too much responsibility such as running a full fledged bakery.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Unbelievable! State Shuts Down Kid's Cupcake Business! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL