The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A math question for Landmark and other mathematicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2014-02-06 11:49, Jack Straw wrote:
I am a professional printer and graphic designer, Magnus.

I'm working in "Indesign" on a job as we speak.

And that's why I know what it means to enlarge something 4 times.

To designers, perhaps, but not to mathematicians.

Let's put it this way; two of the people who responded are mathematicians with advanced degrees in the subject, and one is a math teacher with an undergraduate degree in the subject.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I do some math tutoring, as well, for those seeking to enter graduate school (GMAT). I'm in agreement with the answers above (that is, those of Magnus, Balducci's, S2000).

I'd also point out, however, that this is a philosophy question or an English question, not a math question,
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-02-06 11:49, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-06 11:12, Jack Straw wrote:
But I'll ask again-

If I blow up a 2" square to twice the size, I end up with a 4" x 2" rectangle?

I'd think that you'd end up with another square, 2.82842712474619 . . ." × 2.82842712474619 . . .".

Well played, Sir!

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1020 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Well, Magnus, you just suggested that I ask a graphic designer, and then when I pulled my ace out of the hole and informed you that I AM a graphic designer, you change your tune.

I also went to Da Bronx HS of Science and graduated with honors. You have to take an entrance exam to get in, which about 49 out of 50 applicants do not get a high enough grade to be accepted. From there I went to Queens College, but I took Communications and not math.

But I do know math pretty well.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
If you know that doubling each dimension quadruples the area, the math part of the question is done. It's a semantics question.

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-02-06 12:06, Jack Straw wrote:
Well, Magnus, you just suggested that I ask a graphic designer, and then when I pulled my ace out of the hole and informed you that I AM a graphic designer, you change your tune.

I also went to Da Bronx HS of Science and graduated with honors. You have to take an entrance exam to get in, which about 49 out of 50 applicants do not get a high enough grade to be accepted. From there I went to Queens College, but I took Communications and not math.

But I do know math pretty well.

Wow. Let me be clear.

The design answer is different from the math answer.
You asked for the math answer and you got it.
You argued the math answer.
I said you would prefer the design answer
You still want to argue.

Enjoy your design answer. It is what you wanted to hear.
You can't bully mathematics into agreeing with you.
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1020 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
I thought that the math answer would solve the design question.

If you bring me a playing card and tell me that you want it 4 times the size, I will print you a card that is 14" x 10", not 7" x 5".

Then when you tell me that it's NOT 4 times the size, I will pull it up on the screen for you and show you what a 4x enlargement is.

You can continue to insist that it is larger than 4x the size, but my enlargement button does not lie.

It's that simple.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I'm not a graphics designer, but personally, if Magnus (or anyone else) asked *me* to print them a card "four times the size" of a regular playing card, I'd ask whether he wanted each dimension to be quadrupled, or the total area to be quadrupled.

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
With respect to a similar question in another discipline, I remember an employer of mine who was a skilled carpenter (though that wasn't the job for which I was working for him) telling me that half of a 2x4 was either a 1x4 or a 2x2, not a 1x2.

rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2014-02-06 11:15, stoneunhinged wrote:
The point at issue is that size is the point at which there is a correspondence between assessments of material reality according to the senses comparative to the correspondence between perceptions of those assessments. Should we believe that our assessments are not inapposite to our perceptions, then there exists a robasculation of signification of the "what is" in contradistinction to the "what I see", and rightly so.

So I agree with Jack Straw 200%, irregardless of the sophistic over-exaggerations of Café mathematicians.

Hey, I thought he asked for a mathematical answer, not a philosophical one!
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1020 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
And just because it has something to do with design, does not mean it's not a math problem.

I work with numbers all day long.

When I'm told to blow something up to 12" to see what the other dimension comes out to (which happens quite often), I don't ask what is meant by 12".

I work in very precise measurements, and, for the most part, they must be extremely accurate.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-02-06 12:27, LobowolfXXX wrote:
With respect to a similar question in another discipline, I remember an employer of mine who was a skilled carpenter (though that wasn't the job for which I was working for him) telling me that half of a 2x4 was either a 1x4 or a 2x2, not a 1x2.

Hah!
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1020 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Quote:
On 2014-02-06 12:23, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I'm not a graphics designer, but personally, if Magnus (or anyone else) asked *me* to print them a card "four times the size" of a regular playing card, I'd ask whether he wanted each dimension to be quadrupled, or the total area to be quadrupled.

But I actually work in the industry, and I would not ask that question because we all know what SHOULD be meant by saying that.
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1020 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Quote:
On 2014-02-06 12:27, LobowolfXXX wrote:

That's because you are cutting a dimension in half.

But actually a 2" x 4" does NOT measure 2" x 4", you know, so apparently he was wrong when he said that.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Realtors, too, would agree with the consensus answer. Lot size is given in square feet. So if you want a lot "twice the size" of a 20x40 lot, you're not going to get one that is 40x80. When referring to the "size" of a two-dimensional object, I think it's most common to mean "area."

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-02-06 12:31, Jack Straw wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-06 12:23, LobowolfXXX wrote:

But I actually work in the industry, and I would not ask that question because we all know what SHOULD be meant by saying that.

That's great if you're doing a job for another designer.

Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
So, I am confused. How much longer does something I have need to be in order to brag that it is 4 times the size of the other guys?
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-02-06 12:42, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
So, I am confused. How much longer does something I have need to be in order to brag that it is 4 times the size of the other guys?

Length, area or volume?

Perhaps you should restrict yourself to lifetime travelling distance.
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1020 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
So if I told you all that I had a playing card that was 3 times the size of a normal card with no distortion of the graphics, would everyone here think that I had a card that measured 7" x 5" with a 3 1/2" x 2 1/2" chunk cut out of one part?

Or is it impossible to have a playing card that is 3x the size of a normal card because of that missing chunk?

I would know that I had a card that measured 10 1/2" x 7 1/2".
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-02-06 12:58, Jack Straw wrote:
So if I told you all that I had a playing card that was 3 times the size of a normal card, would everyone here think that I had a card that measured 7" x 5" with a 3 1/2" x 2 1/2" chunk cut out of one part?

Or is it impossible to have a playing card that is 3x the size of a normal card because of that missing chunk?

I would know that I had a card that measured 10 1/2" x 7 1/2".

You'd have a card that was proportional, with 3 times the area. Specifically, 3.5 (square root of 3) x 2.5 (square root of 3), or about 6.06" x 4.33".

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A math question for Landmark and other mathematicians (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL